Bob Bob is offline

Default 30 HP Yanmar: Repower v. Rebuild?

Jere Lull wrote:
You can't go just by the numbers, as the older engines were geared
higher. Faster shaft and prop, more drag, less effective power. We swing
a 16x10" 3-blade.

Jere Lull
Xan's NEW Pages: http://web.mac.com/jerelull/iWeb/Xan/

Thanks Je

Very helpful information to chew. Your statment about owner earnings
compared to yard hourly rates is a very compelling concept. My earnings
come rather easily compared to what thoes hard working, knuckle bustin,
yard guys do daily.

You have detailed my nagging fear regarding "all the extras." I can see
how a new model repower just might start a cascade of events I am not
quite ready to handle.
Thanks again,
Bob

On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 10:06:22 -0800, Bob wrote:

Let the debate begin........

Repower for the 21st century
Or
Rebuild a 1979 Yanmar 3QM30H (raw water cooled)?

I went the repower route on Far Cove (story is at
http://www.bcboatnet.org/Tech/engine/index.html )

There are SO many things apart from the engine itself to consider: exhaust
system. Control cables (mine broke just as I was replacing them!).
prop/shaft/stuffingbox. And so on.

I put in what was supposed to be "like for like" and still had to redo the
stringers twice, completely redo the exhaust, and so on. If I had gone the
rebuild route, I probably would have done the other upgrades as well.

Now, Far Cove was substantially underpowered with the original 23hp, so
the 26hp was a good upgrade. If the replacement was the same hp, I
probably would have just rebuilt.

druid

Bob Bob is offline

On Jan 31, 9:14 pm, druid wrote:

I went the repower route on Far Cove (story is athttp://www.bcboatnet.org/Tech/engine/index.html)

Cool... I love the web.

There are SO many things apart from the engine itself to consider: exhaust
system. Control cables (mine broke just as I was replacing them!).
prop/shaft/stuffingbox. And so on.

Humm, yes. this is what I want to avoid. Ive jut spent few months
rerouting wires and hoses. NOt fun and a bit distructive. I come from
the school of the "fewer holes in a boat the better."

I put in what was supposed to be "like for like" and still had to redo the
stringers twice,

Ugg(

completely redo the exhaust, and so on. If I had gone the
rebuild route, I probably would have done the other upgrades as well.
druid

With my repower I too will also replace the c-bearing, shaft, coupler,
exhaust list. Just seems the way to go on a 30 yo boat.
The reason I am so gun shy about a new engine is that I just finished
replacing the suystems on our homee built in 1905 by a family of
farmers. Every time I started a simple two day project it always
tumbled into a total gut. Talk about icebergs?!? As a result we now
have all new wiring-plumbing-roof and my crowning glory, a 6' x 6' x
55' moat surrounding the back half of the house complete with 4" perf
pipe adn sump pump. That all started with, "honey the basement wall is
really ugly. I want to paint it somthing pretty." Sure, I said. When
the backhoe showed up my wife freaked out. A year later........ the
wall was painted.

Again thank you for taking the time to reply and that web link.
Bob

Volvo vs Yanmar diesel Cruising 20 August 4th 06 04:31 PM
EP: Yanmar YSB12 starts after long layup,.. Matt Colie Boat Building 0 March 21st 06 08:38 PM
Yanmar saildrives and other options plugster ASA 13 July 30th 04 05:06 AM
FS: Yanmar 6LP parts in Tampa, Florida Clinton Jensen Marketplace 0 May 15th 04 01:37 AM
repower P 4-154 Skip Gundlach Cruising 12 January 21st 04 10:10 PM