Default 30 HP Yanmar: Repower v. Rebuild?

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 09:27:42 -0500, "Roger Long"
wrote:

Your original post no longer shows up but I think from some responses I may
have missed the point that your engine is salt water cooled. If that is the
case, I would not rebuild it.

That's an excellent point, and I agree 100%.

You can not save a block with significant amounts of internal rust.

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 00:47:54 -0600, xorbit wrote:

I think $2000 per cylinder is a pretty standard charge for rebuilding a
diesel.

That's the going rate for something like a 300 hp, 3,000 pound Detroit
6-71.

Bob Bob is offline

Wayne.B wrote:
On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 00:47:54 -0600, xorbit wrote:

I think $2000 per cylinder is a pretty standard charge for rebuilding a
diesel.

That's the going rate for something like a 300 hp, 3,000 pound Detroit
6-71.

Yes..... Da ya think parts made since 1938 might have somthing to do
with it. Belive me, if I could fit a one of thoes green two stroke
screaming beasts in my boat I would in a heart beat. But am stuck with
a japanese manufacture that appearantly decided to forge their parts
from unobtainium.
Buy American Bob

In article . com,
"Bob" wrote:

Repower for the 21st century
Or
Rebuild a 1979 Yanmar 3QM30H (raw water cooled)?

We repowered when we got Xan. Am not likely to do that again. The costs
are about double the engine's, and the labor and time MUCH longer. At a
minimum, you'll need a new shaft and prop. [but you might want to
upgrade the prop anyway, as there have been some real improvements since
the raw-water Yanmars were made.]

A new 2GM20 will put out about the same power, perhaps more, and give
improved efficiency, but unless you're planning to keep the boat for 20
years, you won't realize much real benefit.

The Yanmars, old and new, are work horses. Ours has 1200 hours and about
all I need to do is change the oil and inspect the rest -- and keep the
fuel clean, the only problem we've had other than a plugged cooling line
at the inlet.

--
Jere Lull
Xan's NEW Pages: http://web.mac.com/jerelull/iWeb/Xan/

"Jere Lull" wrote

A new 2GM20 will put out about the same power, perhaps more

The new 2 cylinders are called 15 HP engines but it is the ratings that have
changed; not the engines. Our "20"QM is really a 15.

The Yanmars, old and new, are work horses. Ours has 1200 hours and about
all I need to do is change the oil and inspect the rest -- and keep the
fuel clean, the only problem we've had other than a plugged cooling line
at the inlet.

This is a universal sentiment among Yanmar owners. I've seldom heard a
point of view expressed so consistently about a type of machinery.

--
Roger Long

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 09:09:08 GMT, Jere Lull wrote:

The Yanmars, old and new, are work horses. Ours has 1200 hours and about
all I need to do is change the oil and inspect the rest -- and keep the
fuel clean, the only problem we've had other than a plugged cooling line
at the inlet.

I have a Yanmar diesel on my primary genset. Almost 1500 hours in two
years, only failures have been the raw water pump and several
impellers. Fortunately that was covered under warranty.

Bob Bob is offline

Jere Lull wrote:
In article . com,
"Bob" wrote:

Repower for the 21st century
Or
Rebuild a 1979 Yanmar 3QM30H (raw water cooled)?

We repowered when we got Xan. Am not likely to do that again. The costs
are about double the engine's,

So if a new engine retail price is $8,000 your saying when it is all
over total cost is $16,000?

May I ask about your specfics?
Cost of engine?
How many hours did the yard do?
How many DIY hours?
Total cost after everthing?
Did you have a problem fitting new onto the foot print of the old?
Bob

and the labor and time MUCH longer.

Who gave the time estimate?
How much over was the time estimate?

At a minimum, you'll need a new shaft and prop. [but you might want to
upgrade the prop anyway, as there have been some real improvements since
the raw-water Yanmars were made.]

Yes, real improvments over stone axes.

The Yanmars, old and new, are work horses. Ours has 1200 hours and about
all I need to do is change the oil and inspect the rest -- and keep the
fuel clean, the only problem we've had other than a plugged cooling line
at the inlet.
Jere Lull
Xan's NEW Pages: http://web.mac.com/jerelull/iWeb/Xan/

Thank you Jere,
Bob

In article ,
"Roger Long" wrote:

"Jere Lull" wrote

A new 2GM20 will put out about the same power, perhaps more

The new 2 cylinders are called 15 HP engines but it is the ratings that have
changed; not the engines. Our "20"QM is really a 15.

Sister boats with the old raw water 3GMs max out no faster than us and
are usually a bit slower. They always burn more fuel.

You can't go just by the numbers, as the older engines were geared
higher. Faster shaft and prop, more drag, less effective power. We swing
a 16x10" 3-blade.

--
Jere Lull
Xan's NEW Pages: http://web.mac.com/jerelull/iWeb/Xan/

In article .com,
"Bob" wrote:

We repowered when we got Xan. Am not likely to do that again. The costs
are about double the engine's,

So if a new engine retail price is $8,000 your saying when it is all
over total cost is $16,000?

May I ask about your specfics?
Cost of engine?
Total cost after everthing?

In our case, $6k vs a bit over $12k, but that was 14 years ago.

How many hours did the yard do?
How many DIY hours?

All yard, as I didn't want to take 2 years to do it and knew I knew too
little. Truth be told, I take home more than their labor charge, and I
wanted to *sail*.

As I recall, about 1/2 or 1/3 of the extra was fittings, not labor.
Virtually everything needed replacing from battery cables and tank to
the bed, shaft and prop. A PO had gotten the new tank put in, so that
was one non-cost to us. New hoses, Racor, bigger through-hull and
cooling water filter, shift from 3/4" shaft to 1", larger exhaust &
water muffler, lots and lots of incidentals. Included the 50-hour
re-adjustments.

Did you have a problem fitting new onto the foot print of the old?

The old one had to go completely --tougher than expected-- and a new one
fabricated and glassed in. Work of art, BTW.

Volvo vs Yanmar diesel Cruising 20 August 4th 06 04:31 PM
EP: Yanmar YSB12 starts after long layup,.. Matt Colie Boat Building 0 March 21st 06 08:38 PM
Yanmar saildrives and other options plugster ASA 13 July 30th 04 05:06 AM
FS: Yanmar 6LP parts in Tampa, Florida Clinton Jensen Marketplace 0 May 15th 04 01:37 AM
repower P 4-154 Skip Gundlach Cruising 12 January 21st 04 10:10 PM