Default Volvo vs Yanmar diesel

I always wonder which is more popular Volvo or Yanmar diesel?
I had a Yanmar diesel since 1982. The first year it went fine. I only had
black smoke coming out now and then.
The second the high pressure fuel oil leading to the cylinder developed an
hair line crack and I got stranded in the St Laurence seaway with 4 knots
of current. I can say that I like Yanmar diesel. Now it is time to upgrade
my boat and I wonder why Volvo is not as popular as Yanmar?

One reason is that Volvo parts are a lot more expensive. Yanmar also has a
better world wide parts distribution network.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

In article 7Xbxg.828$ok5.531@dukeread01,
"Glenn Ashmore" wrote:

One reason is that Volvo parts are a lot more expensive. Yanmar also has a
better world wide parts distribution network.

And most of the usual parts for their smaller engines are
interchangeable, which increases the probability that what you need will
be in stock.

When we repowered in '93, the Yanmar GM series was, as I was told, the
first that didn't start out as a tractor engine, but was engineered for
marine use from the start. Relatively light for the power, good gearing
so we can swing a big, slow, efficient prop, that sort of thing. I
believe ours was the first our shop had installed because they seriously
undersized the prop: 14x8, as I recall. We're swinging a 16x10 now.

--
Jere Lull

wrote:

Now it is time to upgrade
my boat and I wonder why Volvo is not as popular as Yanmar?

Think Beta, they are Kubota based.

Lew

Gordon Wedman wrote:

Which is a tractor engine converted by several manufacturers

(Universal,
Westerbeake, Sole) to a marine engine.
This may not necessarily be bad however I would prefer an engine
purpose-built as a marine engine. One thing with the Kubota, you

can get
some parts cheaper by going to the tractor dealers as opposed to

the marine
dealers.

Am on another list with a guy from OZ who has an extensive background
with both Yanmar and Kubota.

These days he is in the Kubota camp.

Lew

We had trouble with our yanmar constantly but it was older. Friends
with a volvo diesel were quite happy with it but told us that parts
were expensive and hard to find.
I dont bother with the inboard, its my husbands job to maintain it and
run it etc etc etc.
Beth

Marine algae derived enzymes as diesel catalysts.......... [email protected] General 1 May 23rd 06 05:15 AM
FS -Yanmar 9 Hp Diesel Inboard motor used located in Cocoa BeachFlorida Dennis Marketplace 0 April 16th 06 01:28 AM
Yanmar or Isuzu Diesel? Jay Cruising 0 December 18th 04 02:17 AM
WTB: Yanmar D36 diesel outboard Diesell General 0 March 9th 04 11:20 PM
Diesel outboard? Jack Rye Cruising 4 August 28th 03 08:34 PM