tt tt is offline

Default Intercoastal waterway

Does anyone have first hand knowledge of the current condition of the
intercoastal waterway from the Cheasapeake Bay to Central Florida. .I
would like to plan a late spring or early summer trip from myrtle beach
either north or south depending on conditions. Small ( 19ft. )shallow
draft centerboard sloop.

"tt" wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone have first hand knowledge of the current condition of the
intercoastal waterway from the Cheasapeake Bay to Central Florida. .I
would like to plan a late spring or early summer trip from myrtle beach
either north or south depending on conditions. Small ( 19ft. )shallow
draft centerboard sloop.

Having just done the trip in a 40 footer, I suspect you will have few
problems - provided you have a big engine and a month or more free.

But, if you go North from Myrtle Beach, it is a much longer trip

"tt" wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone have first hand knowledge of the current condition of the
intercoastal waterway from the Cheasapeake Bay to Central Florida. .I
would like to plan a late spring or early summer trip from myrtle beach
either north or south depending on conditions. Small ( 19ft. )shallow
draft centerboard sloop.

What model sailboat?

tt tt is offline

Don White wrote:
"tt" wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone have first hand knowledge of the current condition of the
intercoastal waterway from the Cheasapeake Bay to Central Florida. .I
would like to plan a late spring or early summer trip from myrtle beach
either north or south depending on conditions. Small ( 19ft. )shallow
draft centerboard sloop.

What model sailboat?

The boat is a 1932 Cheasapeake Bay modified Sharpie. It is fully
restored and this will be its first voyage. It has a 2/12 hp outboard
that will most likely be upgraded to 5 hp. A small cabin provides a
V-berth and a porta potty.

"tt" wrote in message
ps.com...

Don White wrote:
"tt" wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone have first hand knowledge of the current condition of the
intercoastal waterway from the Cheasapeake Bay to Central Florida. .I
would like to plan a late spring or early summer trip from myrtle beach
either north or south depending on conditions. Small ( 19ft. )shallow
draft centerboard sloop.

What model sailboat?

The boat is a 1932 Cheasapeake Bay modified Sharpie. It is fully
restored and this will be its first voyage. It has a 2/12 hp outboard
that will most likely be upgraded to 5 hp. A small cabin provides a
V-berth and a porta potty.

I have a modest 18.5 foot mini-cruising sailboat also.
I'd probably tow it down to Florida. (of course I live close to a thousand
miles north of you)

http://sailquest.com/market/models/spipe.htm

On 14 Jan 2007 18:14:06 -0800, "tt" wrote:

The boat is a 1932 Cheasapeake Bay modified Sharpie. It is fully
restored and this will be its first voyage. It has a 2/12 hp outboard
that will most likely be upgraded to 5 hp. A small cabin provides a
V-berth and a porta potty.

There are boats much bigger running the ICW every day so it is
unlikely you will have a problem running aground if you stay in the
channel. I think your biggest issue is power, or the lack thereof.
You really need an outboard big enough to buck a stiff headwind and/or
an adverse current. Sailing opportunities are limited due to the need
to stay in the channel, so reliability is an important factor also.

We are currently on our way from Beaufort, NC to S Fla. So far, the
worst spots we have encountered were in NC. We had been led to believe
that the ICW in NC was the best maintained part of the waterway.
Actually, we found fewer problems in SC--much deeper water and better
marked than in NC. We draw 4.5 feet andreally have had few problems
anywhere--Shallotte Inlet in NC was the worst spot--depths at 5 feet an
hour before low tide. Dredging is in progress there. Read the cruising
guides--go to Salty Southeast website and Skipper Bob website for
current info.

Peter
s/v Now or Never!
tt wrote:
Does anyone have first hand knowledge of the current condition of the
intercoastal waterway from the Cheasapeake Bay to Central Florida. .I
would like to plan a late spring or early summer trip from myrtle beach
either north or south depending on conditions. Small ( 19ft. )shallow
draft centerboard sloop.

"Peter" wrote
We are currently on our way from Beaufort, NC to S Fla. So far, the
worst spots we have encountered were in NC. We had been led to believe
that the ICW in NC was the best maintained part of the waterway.
Actually, we found fewer problems in SC--much deeper water and better
marked than in NC. We draw 4.5 feet andreally have had few problems
anywhere--Shallotte Inlet in NC was the worst spot--depths at 5 feet an
hour before low tide. Dredging is in progress there. Read the cruising
guides--go to Salty Southeast website and Skipper Bob website for
current info.

Are you going to stay in the ditch through Georgia? I would be real
interested in what you find. Things don't look real good behind Jekyll
right now and the COE only has enough money to keep one guy watching it fill
in.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote

Are you going to stay in the ditch through Georgia? I would be real
interested in what you find. Things don't look real good behind Jekyll
right now and the COE only has enough money to keep one guy watching it

fill
in.

We went as far as St Catherines Sound before heading out to sea, but ICW was
good up until then.

One thing original poster should bear in mind, is that this is not really a
"ditch" all the way - There are large bodies of open water that must be
crossed. Albemarle Sound, Pamlico Sound and the Neuse river in North
Carolina can be rough as can Calibogue sound.

Another thing to check, is the distance between marinas or towns where fuel,
ice and supplies can be purchased. Only so much carrying capacity on a 19'
boat and the outboard will use quite a bit of fuel.

I am sure the trip is doable, but it will need some careful planning.

Ping: Eisboch - Atlantic Intercoastal JimH General 4 March 13th 05 09:29 AM
ICW -- In Danger anchorlt Cruising 68 March 3rd 04 06:08 AM
Intracoastal Waterway Closing! Bill Boat Building 0 February 27th 04 09:59 AM
icw un funded! Florida Keyz General 0 February 22nd 04 01:32 PM
Intercoastal Waterway route? Bchbound General 7 September 15th 03 04:40 PM