Default Converting commercial trawlers

Larry wrote:
Wayne.B wrote in
:

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 05:02:11 GMT, "Cap'n Ric"
wrote:

Do you have
a 100 Ton Masters License? Didn't think so. You'll also need one of
those to operate this vessle in the US.

Not true unless your insurance company insists on it or you are
carrying passengers for hire.

I was wondering about that, myself. All it takes is money....lots of
money.

Here in N. FL. the shrimpers are being driven out of business by cheap
imported shrimp. I cannot decide whether to think cheap imported
shrimp is good dor bad but it is driving many shrimpers out of bus.
Given that shrimping has been of low profitiabiluity in the past few
years, the shrimp boats are in poor repair. I saw one boat here that
had a large sheet of plywood screwed over a large hole in the side and
she has been out shrimping many times like this. Some are just being
allowed to sink at their berths....sorta sad.
Larry
--
Extremely intelligent life exists that is so smart they never called Earth.

Cap'n Ric wrote:
72' LOA with a 20' beam that draws about 7'. Where are you going to dock
it? That'll take a mighty big and expensive slip with at least 8' of MLW
water all the way in. You got 8 kids? Do you really need 72 feet of boat?
I think you are probably looking at closer to $200,000 for a "complete"
liveaboard refit.

Do you know how to maintain this boat's systems? Didn't think so. Add
another $10,000 a year for maintainence. How about insurance? Do you have
a 100 Ton Masters License? Didn't think so. You'll also need one of those
to operate this vessle in the US.

How many shrimpers do you think are licenced Captains?

Joe
USMM Master

Cap'n Ric
USCG Licensed Master
S/V Sezaneh
2003 Beneteau 473 (I live aboard it)

wrote:

How many shrimpers do you think are licenced Captains?

Is this a test? Couldn't you help us out by making it multiple choice?

Bob Bob is offline

Cap'n Ric wrote:
72' LOA with a 20' beam that draws about 7'. Where are you going to dock
it?

A lot more places that WONT take a yacht. Try just about any place....
but ya might have a barge for a neighbour.

You got 8 kids? Do you really need 72 feet of boat?
Depending on the fishery youre usually talking three people to run a
boat that size. One driving and two working the back deck.

I think you are probably looking at closer to $200,000 for a "complete"
liveaboard refit.

And the guys working the boat live in the stoneage??? Dont think so.
Men got to eat, sleep, and take showers. What else is missing?

Do you know how to maintain this boat's systems? Didn't think so.

I would argue that a commercial boat would be a huge improvment over
any yacht to work on. Guys working on the water dont have time to screw
around with all that sissy ****.

Add
another $10,000 a year for maintainence.

Why? There aint nutin to break and if so the system will be out in the
open and replaceable with basic marine stuff not the **** ya get from
West MArine.

How about insurance?

Hummm, Ill have to think about this.

Do you have
a 100 Ton Masters License? Didn't think so.

Now this really shows your lask of knowledge. how many commercial
fisher men do you know that hold a USCG master license beacause it is
USCG required?

You'll also need one of those
to operate this vessle in the US.

Not.

I have a friend that converted a 76' steel custom trawler that was built in
Biddeford, Maine. This boat was only 5 years old and in excellent
condition. He converted it to a blue water cruising yacht for a 2 year
around the world cruise with his family. The boat cost him $750,000 and he
added $800,000 over a year before they left.

So the guy is an idiot with too much money to blow. And that proves
what?

He is a retired ship's captain and a Merchant Marine Academy grad. He does
know what he is doing. Not counting fuel and other consumables he figured
his monthly maintenance at $1,500.

Leave the exotics to the fools and experts.

So what is so exotic about a simple workboat? Unless that is, you dont
know what you are talking about.
Bob

Cap'n Ric
USCG Licensed Master
S/V Sezaneh
2003 Beneteau 473 (I live aboard it)

Bob wrote:

Uhh, I thing those coonass back bayou shrimppers could pass a driver
license test. HOw on earth cold they get a master license??!??!?!
My guess is choice:

D.) 0-1

Yeah, dat maybee rot. Bot lemme told you, day kin handle dem boats what
you neveh gonna saw.

Day doan need no drivah lisens far dem 4 weelahz.

(Can you guess where I went to school? )

Bob Bob is offline

Cal Vanize wrote:
Yeah, dat maybee rot. Bot lemme told you, day kin handle dem boats what
you neveh gonna saw.

ya got dat righ. dam good boat driva. Whish I haf fifty cnt fo ever
coonass skipper. Id be a reech man.

Day doan need no drivah lisens far dem 4 weelahz.

Most dem ben on da riva since knee high to a mudbug.

(Can you guess where I went to school? )

Uhh.......... Dartmouth College?

"Cal Vanize" wrote in message

How many shrimpers do you think are licenced Captains?

Is this a test? Couldn't you help us out by making it multiple choice?

Now-a-days how many can speak English?

"Frogwatch" wrote in news:1168896358.442205.262840
@11g2000cwr.googlegroups.com:

Here in N. FL. the shrimpers are being driven out of business by cheap
imported shrimp. I cannot decide whether to think cheap imported
shrimp is good dor bad but it is driving many shrimpers out of bus.
Given that shrimping has been of low profitiabiluity in the past few
years, the shrimp boats are in poor repair. I saw one boat here that
had a large sheet of plywood screwed over a large hole in the side and
she has been out shrimping many times like this. Some are just being
allowed to sink at their berths....sorta sad.

The same is true in Charleston. The boats cost just too much, especially
in fuel, for the return on investment. Shrimp is very cheap compared to
other seafoods and it's driving our shrimp fleet out of business, too.

Big oil and the bankers must be very proud.....

Larry
--
Extremely intelligent life exists that is so smart they never called Earth.

Commercial Fishing JimH General 2 August 27th 06 07:04 PM
( OT ) WHY DID ASHCROFT STOP FLYING COMMERCIAL AIRLINES PRIOR TO 9/11? Jim General 0 April 13th 04 05:22 PM
18' Boston Whaler Raider - Dive, Commercial, Rugged! Dan Boat Building 1 March 22nd 04 03:37 PM
18' Boston Whaler Raider - Dive, Commercial, Rugged! Dan Cruising 0 March 22nd 04 06:16 AM