Default Converting commercial trawlers

As we do our research, we occassionally run across a boat such is this:

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...d=37464&ur l=

Though I'm sure maintenance on these commercial boats has been secondary
to their operation, their price would seem to allow for some work to
bring maintenance up to current (would that be around $50k or so?).

But being purposefully built commercial fishing boats, they would seem
to need a lot of work to convert them for liveaboard / personal cruising.

So, using this boat (or one similar) as an example, what would it
generally take (typical time, money and effort) to convert a fishing
trawler to a liveaboard cruising trawler? (and is a Cat 3408 a good
diesel for this application?)

Bob Bob is offline

Cal Vanize wrote:
As we do our research, we occassionally run across a boat such is this:

Nuthin................ Fire up that Cat and go have some fun.

Personally I have been advocating your thoughts for the last year. I
really like the Gulf Shrimpers for sail in TX-LA-MS-AL-FL. Wher else
can you buy an 8 year old $400,000 boat for 100K?!?! Great boats all
with out a job. I talked with two yards in Oregon that build or service
the commercial fleets. Both estimated a standard gulf shrimper in the
70-80' range would cost $10,000 to haul, blast to white metal, coat and
paint bottom and house. This also includes those typical "plus
undiscovereds." For example, zincs, a little rudder, bearing, or Kortz
work.

Work boats are set up simple, durrable, easy to fix. They got to be.
Yachts on the other hand are priced out of this world for "rich
people", fragil, and complex to work on which all adds up to maint hogs
that break easily and again cost an arm and a leg to modify if needed.

Why are commercial fishing boats going so cheep.
No local fish stocks. We caught them all.
Fish prices way low because of farmed or foriegn product
Fuel prices....... well can you say a buck a gallon to $3.00/gallon in
five years?!?!?
A formula that spells disaster for domestic fishing towns and families.

But for cheep boats there has never been a better time to profit from
others dispare.
Bob

Bob Bob is offline

Oh, I forgot.

DO NOT Google search for "yacht" conversions.
Search for "vessel or ship broker" For example:

http://www.marcon.com/

Take a look at what Marcon Vessel Broker has listed under Fishing
Vessel.
I wish I was buying a power boat.................!

Why are commercial fishing boats going so cheep.
No local fish stocks. We caught them all.

Having been deeply involved with West Coast fisheries, blanket
statements like this are irritating to say the least.
If you have the time and inclination please watch this narrative by
Dr Ray Killborn of the U of W.
Yes, some fisheries have problems but many others are very healthy.
Go to this site, pick your download speed, then wait a bit. The first
part is is a long intro but it will get into it. Warning, it is quite a
lengthy discourse but well worth watching.

http://www.uwtv.org/programs/displayevent.aspx?rID=2515

Gordon

Cal Vanize wrote in news:rUwqh.232$Je6.118
@newsfe02.lga:

Though I'm sure maintenance on these commercial boats has been

secondary
to their operation, their price would seem to allow for some work to
bring maintenance up to current (would that be around $50k or so?).

Not so. This boat was operated by people who knew what they were doing,
not some rich banker that just left as a dock condo. She had an engineer
who cared for her systems, because if she failed she didn't make anyone
any money. The banker wasn't going to own it that long, so he didn't
give a **** if it had an oil change or not....as long as he wasn't
involved.

But being purposefully built commercial fishing boats, they would seem
to need a lot of work to convert them for liveaboard / personal

cruising.

Convert?? She's beautiful! A very proper boat! Oh, how wonderful it
would be to be able to come in from the weather deck, all wet in your
foulies and boots and NOT have someone bitching at you to watch the
custom carpet and make sure your PFD harness didn't scratch the fine,
imported teak. Look at all that beautiful....well, FORMICA!

She's got 4 bunks and 2 heads...check.
50 gallon hot water tank....check.
A head you're not afraid to miss the hole on if the sea makes you
lurch...check!
A galley made for COOKING, not photography....check!
I didn't see any holds in the yachtie-pretty tour pictures. Is it big
enough for the barbie and 20 drunks to have a party if we push the DJ
back into a corner?

So, using this boat (or one similar) as an example, what would it
generally take (typical time, money and effort) to convert a fishing
trawler to a liveaboard cruising trawler?

Just move aboard and give the missus a few months to let it grow on her.
She'll appreciate the easy cleanups and not having to be afraid to
scratch anything. She'll get used to it. Let's give up this silly
notion of turning it into a Hinckley for an extra $80K. Set that money
aside so we can replace her main engine and main generator if that time
ever happens. This is a MANLY boat (AR! AR!)....not some floating
whorehouse! Don't spoil her hard life character.

(and is a Cat 3408 a good
diesel for this application?)

3408 is a great engine....not a proper 4-53 or 6-71...but a great engine.
It's probably the SIMPLE, mechanic-repairable, MECHANICAL diesel that
doesn't require a computer science degree with Unix training to
troubleshoot. Caterpiller makes fine tractor engines...converted to
marine use. I sure like the auxiliary hydraulic get-home engine that
won't leave you stranded. First class electrical power, too, but I must
have missed the HOURS on all of these.

Make a note the main engine is ALREADY overhauled from an ALREADY
reconditioned block. So, when it wears out NEXT time, it will need
replacement because it has ALREADY been through the overhaul count before
you got it. They can only be overhauled X times, not indefinately.

Let us know when you want us to come by and see your new trawler! We'll
bring the booze, food and music....(c;

Larry
--
Extremely intelligent life exists that is so smart they never called
Earth.

Bob Bob is offline

(and is a Cat 3408 a good
diesel for this application?)

3408 is a great engine....not a proper 4-53 or 6-71...

Uhh, I think your true color is showing................... and its
green!

72' LOA with a 20' beam that draws about 7'. Where are you going to dock
it? That'll take a mighty big and expensive slip with at least 8' of MLW
water all the way in. You got 8 kids? Do you really need 72 feet of boat?
I think you are probably looking at closer to $200,000 for a "complete"
liveaboard refit.

Do you know how to maintain this boat's systems? Didn't think so. Add
another $10,000 a year for maintainence. How about insurance? Do you have
a 100 Ton Masters License? Didn't think so. You'll also need one of those
to operate this vessle in the US.

I have a friend that converted a 76' steel custom trawler that was built in
Biddeford, Maine. This boat was only 5 years old and in excellent
condition. He converted it to a blue water cruising yacht for a 2 year
around the world cruise with his family. The boat cost him $750,000 and he
added $800,000 over a year before they left.

He is a retired ship's captain and a Merchant Marine Academy grad. He does
know what he is doing. Not counting fuel and other consumables he figured
his monthly maintenance at $1,500.

Leave the exotics to the fools and experts.

Cap'n Ric
USCG Licensed Master
S/V Sezaneh
2003 Beneteau 473 (I live aboard it)

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 05:02:11 GMT, "Cap'n Ric"
wrote:

Do you have
a 100 Ton Masters License? Didn't think so. You'll also need one of those
to operate this vessle in the US.

Not true unless your insurance company insists on it or you are
carrying passengers for hire.

It's a good idea if you want that much boat. But except for some of
the inshore boats (Lobster boats, west coast trawlers, eg), you will
by hauling a LOT of displacement around and paying the consequent fuel
bills. Of course, if you just want a live-aboard and don't do much
traveling, they are a great deal.

Cal Vanize wrote:

As we do our research, we occassionally run across a boat such is this:

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...d=37464&ur l=

Though I'm sure maintenance on these commercial boats has been secondary
to their operation, their price would seem to allow for some work to
bring maintenance up to current (would that be around $50k or so?).

But being purposefully built commercial fishing boats, they would seem
to need a lot of work to convert them for liveaboard / personal cruising.

So, using this boat (or one similar) as an example, what would it
generally take (typical time, money and effort) to convert a fishing
trawler to a liveaboard cruising trawler? (and is a Cat 3408 a good
diesel for this application?)

Wayne.B wrote in
:

wrote:

Do you have
a 100 Ton Masters License? Didn't think so. You'll also need one of
those to operate this vessle in the US.

Not true unless your insurance company insists on it or you are
carrying passengers for hire.

I was wondering about that, myself. All it takes is money....lots of
money.

Larry
--
Extremely intelligent life exists that is so smart they never called Earth.

Commercial Fishing JimH General 2 August 27th 06 07:04 PM
( OT ) WHY DID ASHCROFT STOP FLYING COMMERCIAL AIRLINES PRIOR TO 9/11? Jim General 0 April 13th 04 05:22 PM
18' Boston Whaler Raider - Dive, Commercial, Rugged! Dan Boat Building 1 March 22nd 04 04:37 PM
18' Boston Whaler Raider - Dive, Commercial, Rugged! Dan Cruising 0 March 22nd 04 07:16 AM