Default Converting commercial trawlers

Larry wrote:
"Frogwatch" wrote in news:1168896358.442205.262840
@11g2000cwr.googlegroups.com:

Here in N. FL. the shrimpers are being driven out of business by cheap
imported shrimp. I cannot decide whether to think cheap imported
shrimp is good dor bad but it is driving many shrimpers out of bus.
Given that shrimping has been of low profitiabiluity in the past few
years, the shrimp boats are in poor repair. I saw one boat here that
had a large sheet of plywood screwed over a large hole in the side and
she has been out shrimping many times like this. Some are just being
allowed to sink at their berths....sorta sad.

The same is true in Charleston. The boats cost just too much, especially
in fuel, for the return on investment. Shrimp is very cheap compared to
other seafoods and it's driving our shrimp fleet out of business, too.

Big oil and the bankers must be very proud.....

Larry

HUH? Are you related to Harry, Larry?
Gordie

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 08:49:26 -0500, Larry wrote:

Wayne.B wrote in
:

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 05:02:11 GMT, "Cap'n Ric"
wrote:

Do you have
a 100 Ton Masters License? Didn't think so. You'll also need one of
those to operate this vessle in the US.

Not true unless your insurance company insists on it or you are
carrying passengers for hire.

I was wondering about that, myself. All it takes is money....lots of
money.

I know people with bigger yachts than that, and no license. Nor do
their paid skippers have them, since they're not taking passengers
for hire -- just driving the boat for the family, which is different.

YMMV when it comes to insurance companies though. I know someone with a
54' sailboat who must have six qualified sailors aboard to go offshore.
Their sailing resumes must be on file with the insurer.

Matt O.
Bob Bob is offline

Default Converting commercial trawler...OT for Gordon

Gordon wrote:
Why are commercial fishing boats going so cheep.
No local fish stocks. We caught them all.

Having been deeply involved with West Coast fisheries, blanket
statements like this are irritating to say the least.

Yes, I agree. My "...caught them all..." is a gross simplification.

Yes, some fisheries have problems but many others are very healthy.

"...some..." "...very healthy..." If a person takes a historical look
at all stocks in aggregate either world wide or in your own back yard,
the Oregon Coast, you'll find there are more stocks are either
extinct, on the verge of crashing, have to much bycatch, or simply too
costly to fish.
Example, how about Dungeness, salmon, Y-Tail, Widow, POP, basically all
Sebestes complex, Halibut, O-Flats, sturgeon, smelt, shad. And that's
just Oregon. Oh, yea but what about those trashfish (under utilized
species) such as Hake (AKA Pacific Whiting)? Oh yea, Lets see...
Russians fishing within 3mile until the FCZ was created Now the EEZ.
Then the JVs of the 80s. Then US boats only about 1991. The Ocean
Phoenix (world's largest processor) The F/T "bird boats", the
Jaeger and Hawk swooped down to Oregon in-between Pollock seasons for
some summer Hake sport. What's up now?? NMFS steps in and says
slowdown, the hake are going to crash. The catchers and surimi plants
say FU. We want more tonnage!

Uh, what happened with the great cod grounds of the NE?????? Where are
all the Columbia river salmon? Since you are an old timer to the Oregon
Coast, you no doubt remember Astoria before the OR-WA bridge? That
whole area by the ferry dock was all fish canneries. Now just a few old
sets of pilings where all those canneries stood. Why did the canneries
close?!?!?!?!?!?

But you are correct I made a gross statement. After:
1) the potatoes farmers take all the river water,
2) the loggers take the timber that cooled the streams and created
erosion that silted the salmon reds (spawning beds),
3) the ranchers run cattle on the streams again causing bed silting
and reduced shade that increases stream temperatures,
4) Towns filled in the wetlands and marshes where the juvenile salmon
stayed for protection, food, and rest,
5) Jo blow puts another 100mt of weed & feed on the lawn just to get it
greener and it runs off into the stream,
6) Don't even mention all the bumper chrome shops, ship yards, and
other business that use the rivers as a sewer,
7) Harbor and California Sea Lion populations increasing to normal and
healthy populations. They got to eat too,
8) How many damns on the Columbia River system? And is it 10% of all
juvenile salmon die passing down stream through each damn? And there
are how many damns?????
9) Commercial boats always crying about the unfair NMFS quotas.
10) Technology on boats that can now search and catch a single fish
and turn it into product. Bauder and Toyo machines capable of mincing a
Pollock minnow into surimi. Or as I heard one F/T factory manager say,
we striped the roe and killed all the breeders, we caught all the
teenagers, and now I got to make these puppies into product. these fish
are so young they aiint even got their eyes open. We aint gonna haf
nuthin left to catch!

You're right I did make a blanket statement when many other factors
have contributed to a disastrous decline in EVERY commercially viable
species and the concomitant bycatch.

Go to this site, pick your download speed, then wait a bit. The first
part is a long intro but it will get into it. Warning, it is quite a
lengthy discourse but well worth watching.

http://www.uwtv.org/programs/displayevent.aspx?rID=2515

Gordon

Please Gordon do not believe those people who have a vested interest in
catching more fish. Its like asking the Fox about the effectiveness of
hen house security. In other words, go out to Yaguina Head (since you
are an old time commercial fisheman) and see how many sea otters you
can catch. Or Just off there, take your little dragger and see how
you'ld do after a couple trys at "Chicken tow."
Bob

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob
Cap'n Ric wrote
Leave the exotics to the fools and experts.[/i][/color]

So what is so exotic about a simple workboat? Unless that is, you dont
know what you are talking about.
Bob

Cap'n Ric
USCG Licensed Master
S/V Sezaneh
2003 Beneteau 473 (I live aboard it)

He doesn't know what he's talking about. Note the fact he claims has a Benetoad. :-)

And I would be surprised if he has a license at all. Based on the fact that he doesn't seem to know you don't need one to run this boat non-commericaly.
Or that getting insurance should not be a big deal.
__________________
Capt. Bill
Bob Bob is offline

-

Cap'n Ric
USCG Licensed Master
S/V Sezaneh
2003 Beneteau 473 (I live aboard it)-

He doesn't know what he's talking about. Note the fact he claims has a
Benetoad. :-)

And I would be surprised if he has a license at all. Based on the fact
that he doesn't seem to know you don't need one to run this boat
non-commericaly.
Or that getting insurance should not be a big deal.[/i][/color]

capt.bill11

Ouch.............. do I detect a challenge? Let the rants begin!
Im going to bed.
Bed Time Bob
ZZzzzzzzzzz

Commercial Fishing JimH General 2 August 27th 06 07:04 PM
( OT ) WHY DID ASHCROFT STOP FLYING COMMERCIAL AIRLINES PRIOR TO 9/11? Jim General 0 April 13th 04 05:22 PM
18' Boston Whaler Raider - Dive, Commercial, Rugged! Dan Boat Building 1 March 22nd 04 03:37 PM
18' Boston Whaler Raider - Dive, Commercial, Rugged! Dan Cruising 0 March 22nd 04 06:16 AM