Bob Bob is offline

Default Converting commercial trawlers

Cal Vanize wrote:
As we do our research, we occassionally run across a boat such is this:

Nuthin................ Fire up that Cat and go have some fun.

Personally I have been advocating your thoughts for the last year. I
really like the Gulf Shrimpers for sail in TX-LA-MS-AL-FL. Wher else
can you buy an 8 year old $400,000 boat for 100K?!?! Great boats all
with out a job. I talked with two yards in Oregon that build or service
the commercial fleets. Both estimated a standard gulf shrimper in the
70-80' range would cost $10,000 to haul, blast to white metal, coat and
paint bottom and house. This also includes those typical "plus
undiscovereds." For example, zincs, a little rudder, bearing, or Kortz
work.

Work boats are set up simple, durrable, easy to fix. They got to be.
Yachts on the other hand are priced out of this world for "rich
people", fragil, and complex to work on which all adds up to maint hogs
that break easily and again cost an arm and a leg to modify if needed.

Why are commercial fishing boats going so cheep.
No local fish stocks. We caught them all.
Fish prices way low because of farmed or foriegn product
Fuel prices....... well can you say a buck a gallon to $3.00/gallon in
five years?!?!?
A formula that spells disaster for domestic fishing towns and families.

But for cheep boats there has never been a better time to profit from
others dispare.
Bob