Rick Dunklee

Default Rust on Stainless Steel

As "Murphy" says, Stainless Steel isn't"! I have spots of rust on my bow
rail from salt water spray. Whats the best way to restore the rail with out
marring it?

Rick Dunklee
"Dawn's Early Light"

Geoffrey W. Schultz

It's Stain Less...Go to your local chandlery and they'll have lots of
products. Never Dull works well. A key thing to do is to clean it as soon
as you can. As soon as we drop anchor we wipe down the stainless and we
have to clean it on a much less frequent basis.

-- Geoff

"Rick Dunklee" wrote in
:

As "Murphy" says, Stainless Steel isn't"! I have spots of rust on my
bow rail from salt water spray. Whats the best way to restore the
rail with out marring it?

Rick Dunklee
"Dawn's Early Light"

Doug Dotson

Check out WhitchNox. Made by Witchard. Wipe it on with a cloth, let set
for 30 minutes then hose it off. Maybe a quick polishing after to make it
really shiney. NevrDull is good for light work. BrassO was invented by
the military to build character and to keep sailors minds off of the numming
boredom of long seatime

Doug

"Rick Dunklee" wrote in message
As "Murphy" says, Stainless Steel isn't"! I have spots of rust on my bow
rail from salt water spray. Whats the best way to restore the rail with

out
marring it?

Rick Dunklee
"Dawn's Early Light"

EJBleendreeble

"Doug Dotson" wrote in message ...
Check out WhitchNox. Made by Witchard. Wipe it on with a cloth, let set
for 30 minutes then hose it off. Maybe a quick polishing after to make it
really shiney.

Doug's right, though it's spelled "Wichinox." Contains phosphorus,
supposedly. Works for me.

E.J. Bleendreeble
http://www.casualsailor.com
Keith

Is that the stuff that's supposed to passivate the SS?

I've also had good luck with 3M's metal polish and restorer, but I like to
use Nevr-Dull first if possible.

"EJBleendreeble" wrote in message
om...
"Doug Dotson" wrote in message

Check out WhitchNox. Made by Witchard. Wipe it on with a cloth, let set
for 30 minutes then hose it off. Maybe a quick polishing after to make

it
really shiney.

Doug's right, though it's spelled "Wichinox." Contains phosphorus,
supposedly. Works for me.

E.J. Bleendreeble
http://www.casualsailor.com

Steve

I use a weak solution of nitric acid to passivate stainless. (I don't
remember, off hand what the mix is. I just keep about 5 gals mixed in a
plastic drum and hang the part in it for a few hours.)

A welder friend has a jelly solution that has nitric acid in it. He brushes
it on a finished stainless weld and lets it set for a couple hours then
rinse it off. Really cleans the weld effected area and never seems to rust
afterwards. Very expensive (about 15 bucks for a half pint jar.)

--
My opinion and experience. FWIW

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

RichH

The very best way to polish stainless steel is with a high speed
mechanical buffing wheel and polishing compound especially made for
'white metals' (includes stainless): "Tripoli" a natural mixture of
white clay and diatomaceous earth. You can buy it in 'stick form' at
most hardware stores (right next to where they keep the jewelers rouge).
First etch the stainless with a phosphoric acid containing rust reformer
to remove the macroscopic ferric oxide rust, let dry, then sand and
buff. PS.... its how they polish the stainless in the first place.

wrote:

As "Murphy" says, Stainless Steel isn't"! I have spots of rust on my bow
rail from salt water spray. Whats the best way to restore the rail with out
marring it?

Rick Dunklee
"Dawn's Early Light"

In Search of Stainless Steel Staples Douglas St. Clair Boat Building 7 May 13th 04 04:18 PM
Stainless Steel Boat? CCred68046 General 7 March 25th 04 03:32 AM
Stainless steel running gear kim Boat Building 6 October 22nd 03 12:01 PM
5mm thick stainless steel occ Cruising 0 August 12th 03 02:35 PM
5mm thick stainless steel occ Cruising 0 August 12th 03 02:33 PM