CCred68046

Default Stainless Steel Boat?

Does anyone make an all stainless steel boat? Seems like something like this
could give Triumph a real run for their money......
Jim

Curious why you think a stainless steel boat would be so good. Wouldn't
necessarily be good in a sal****er environment. Salt air or water if
that's what you're thinking. Sure, it slows down the rusting process,
but does not stop it. At least in that environment, I'd rather have
fiberglass or aluminum.

-Jim

CCred68046 wrote:
Does anyone make an all stainless steel boat? Seems like something like this
could give Triumph a real run for their money......

Calif Bill

"CCred68046" wrote in message
Does anyone make an all stainless steel boat? Seems like something like

this
could give Triumph a real run for their money......

$$$$ and weight make it a loser. Manufacturing costs are also higher, a lot
higher. My aluminum jetboat has a replacement cost for a new one of about
$45,000. This is for a 21' boat, 0.190 aluminum bottom and welded. Look at
a rotomolded boat like the Triumph or my Ocean Kayak Agean. Throw some
plastic powder in a closed metal form, add heat and rotate. A while later,
pop the basic hull out of the mold. As opposed to an aluminum or Stainless
steel hull, where you have to have a huge press, stamp out panels, that you
weld together. Lots more labor and supplies cost.
Bill

sgenn

"stainless steel" isnt all that resistant to sea water and infact only
resists corrosion by growing a passive layer of oxidation
This process cannot occur under water where there is no oxygen.
Where there is no oygen pitting and deep corrosion will occur
To make matters worse most stainless steel work hardens and becomes brittle
if flexed regularly

"CCred68046" wrote in message
Does anyone make an all stainless steel boat? Seems like something like

this
could give Triumph a real run for their money......

Marshall Banana

Also Sprach sgenn :
"stainless steel" isnt all that resistant to sea water and infact only
resists corrosion by growing a passive layer of oxidation
This process cannot occur under water where there is no oxygen.
Where there is no oygen pitting and deep corrosion will occur
To make matters worse most stainless steel work hardens and becomes brittle
if flexed regularly

Thanks, ya saved me a bunch of typing. Anyone who thinks that stainless
steel is the perfect material should google for "Crevice Corrosion"

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/corrosion.htm

Dan

Don White

Jim wrote in message
Curious why you think a stainless steel boat would be so good. Wouldn't
necessarily be good in a sal****er environment. Salt air or water if
that's what you're thinking. Sure, it slows down the rusting process,
but does not stop it. At least in that environment, I'd rather have
fiberglass or aluminum.

-Jim

I'd like to have a titanium open 14 footer. Anyone see one around?
(lighter and stronger than stainless steel)

CCred68046

I was thinking freshwater... something on the line of an all welded flat bottom
boat.
304 grade.
Jack Redington

CCred68046 wrote:
Does anyone make an all stainless steel boat? Seems like something like this
could give Triumph a real run for their money......

When I was a kid, my Pop had a fishing boat that was Stainless. It was
constructed by two stamped pieces each being one half of the boat
riveted togather down the center. It was sort of narrow and we powered
it with a old Evinrude 7.5 hp outboard engine.

The make is lost to history, The thing weighed a ton so to speak and
was done in by a newer 7.5 merc engine that was not worn out as the
Evinrude was, and thus had alot more power. The boat went faster and was
beat on waves, (yes I was guilty as was my older brother for this) until
it started leaking alot where there were other reinforcments that were
riveted on the bottom from side to side to help keep the floor from flexing.

It's aluminum replacment was larger and weighed half as much.

Capt Jack R..

offshore fishing adectus General 7 January 3rd 04 03:23 PM
Harry's lobster boat? Gould 0738 General 3 December 23rd 03 06:24 AM
Repost from Merc group Clams Canino General 0 August 29th 03 12:43 PM