Default Canadian east coast chart books?

Is there a product equivelent to the Maptech chart books for Canadian
waters? If so, it isn't something I can turn up quickly with Google. I'd
like not to have a huge $500 roll of Canadian charts on board for a possible
cruise to Nova Scotia next summer and am hoping our friends up north have an
alternative.

Anyone know if Maptech has any plans to extend their product line into
Canadian waters?

--
Roger Long

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 16:48:42 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:

Is there a product equivelent to the Maptech chart books for Canadian
waters? If so, it isn't something I can turn up quickly with Google. I'd
like not to have a huge $500 roll of Canadian charts on board for a possible
cruise to Nova Scotia next summer and am hoping our friends up north have an
alternative.

Anyone know if Maptech has any plans to extend their product line into
Canadian waters?

There are some Canadian chart books available. I have one someplace
that I bought to cover the area around Montreal, the St Lawrence River
and the Chambly Canal. Unfortunately it is buried in the "archives"
right now, meaning that it never got unpacked after our move to
Florida.

I bought it at a sailing store named "The Boathouse" in Dorval,
Quebec.
(800) 361-2966
(514) 631-9113 fax
E-mail:

They might be able to give you more information if you give them a
call.

==============

http://tinyurl.com/y6hpvk

Roger Long wrote:
Is there a product equivelent to the Maptech chart books for Canadian
waters? If so, it isn't something I can turn up quickly with Google.
I'd like not to have a huge $500 roll of Canadian charts on board for a
possible cruise to Nova Scotia next summer and am hoping our friends up
north have an alternative.

Anyone know if Maptech has any plans to extend their product line into
Canadian waters?

Some company has put out a book of four charts...
Mahone Bay, St. Margaret's Bay, Halifax area and one other in nice
colourful 3D kind of relief.... I've seen them at the local boat show
but didn't pay much attention.
Unfortunately if you want a full set it's still about $20.00 per
individual chart.
http://ca.binnacle.com/index.php?cPath=67

Roger,

I sailed from Shelbourne to Sydney in 2005 and then from Sydney to St.
Pierre and back in 2006. I did some extensive looking to find
alternatives to a huge roll of charts and found none.

As far as I know NDI (digitalocean) still has the exclusive rights to
distribute CHS charts, and charges accordingly.

Also, in the event you buy older electronic charts, be aware that the
chart areas change from issue to issue. That is to say that my
electronic charts of Nova Scotia that I got with the boat do not cover
the same area as the now available charts - even though the part number
is the same. I found it quite confusing.

The best resource I have found is the Binnacle.

There are a couple of cruising guides available and I found them to be
worthwhile.
http://www.puffin-press.com/ = Cruising Guide to the Nova Scotia Coast

There is another one that I can look up if you are interested.

Howard

"Roger Long" wrote in message
Is there a product equivelent to the Maptech chart books for Canadian
waters? If so, it isn't something I can turn up quickly with Google. I'd
like not to have a huge $500 roll of Canadian charts on board for a
possible cruise to Nova Scotia next summer and am hoping our friends up
north have an alternative.

Anyone know if Maptech has any plans to extend their product line into
Canadian waters?

--
Roger Long

You might try contacting The Nautical Mind in Toronto. They should know.
http://www.nauticalmind.com/customer/

I have a chartbook for going up the BC coast so I'm sure there is one for
the east coast. Don't recall who makes them though.

Gordon Wedman wrote:
"Roger Long" wrote in message
Is there a product equivelent to the Maptech chart books for Canadian
waters? If so, it isn't something I can turn up quickly with Google. I'd
like not to have a huge $500 roll of Canadian charts on board for a
possible cruise to Nova Scotia next summer and am hoping our friends up
north have an alternative.

Anyone know if Maptech has any plans to extend their product line into
Canadian waters?

--
Roger Long

You might try contacting The Nautical Mind in Toronto. They should know.
http://www.nauticalmind.com/customer/

I have a chartbook for going up the BC coast so I'm sure there is one for
the east coast. Don't recall who makes them though.

You might check out Bellingham Chart Printers at
http://www.tidesend.com. They seem to have a decent collection of chart
books (folios) for different areas of the globe.

Kevin McCabe
s/v Seeker
Caliber 40LRC