Default light question ... yard solar for anchor light

Go drive around early some morning and not all the solar powered yard lights
just barely glowing enough to see. They may be fine for showing you where
the path is when coming home from a movie or when your guest leave but I've
never seen one in a yard that was bright enough to be useful all night.

What if it's cloudy the day before?

--
Roger Long

NE Sailboat wrote:
I saw this somewhere .. go get a yard solar light, Lowes/Home Depot ... the
kind you put along the walk way.

I guess I can leave one out ,, it will power up ,,, use it at the mooring ..

Any thought on yard solar lights for sailboats?

If you already have a satisfactory, working anchor light, then I assume
you are trying to avoid its drain on your battery each night.

If so, leave the working anchor light in place and invest instead in a
small solar charger. Depending on its size and your anchor light's
wattage, you may be able to restore more energy than was consumed during
the night.

If you wish only to illuminate the deck, rather than power an anchor
light, choose an appropriate lamp (even one with a photoelectric sensor
if you wish) and add a solar charger as above.

Chuck

BF BF is offline

The early ones with incandescent (flashlight) bulb were indeed pathetic.
I'm told, but have no first hand information, that the newer ones using
ultra bright leds work quite a lot better.
Anyone know for sure?
BF

"Roger Long" wrote in message
Go drive around early some morning and not all the solar powered yard

lights
just barely glowing enough to see. They may be fine for showing you where
the path is when coming home from a movie or when your guest leave but

I've
never seen one in a yard that was bright enough to be useful all night.

What if it's cloudy the day before?

--
Roger Long

Dave,

I am not concerned in the context that:

Mooring: People have lots of other lights on at deck level, and then of
course you have all the boats that have on no lights at all. Each
additional light helps avoid a collision.

Anchoring: People have lots of other lights on at deck level. Yes, it's
helpful (almost) everyone has an anchor light on, but for the most part
it can only help to have additional lighting of any type at deck level
to avoid collisions. I would disagree, short of seeing red/green
navigation lights first, that other boaters are carefully evaluating
the white lights from the boats they are approaching in such a way that
an additional white light will cause them to make an error that would
result in a collision.

Underway: Yes, additional white lights can cause confusion. But there
is nothing saying you have to have the rest of your vessel dark while
underway.

Make sense?
Dan

Dave wrote:
On 13 Dec 2006 12:27:05 -0800, "b393capt"
said:

I would not be concerned that multiple white
lights are misinterpreted

Because......?

In article ,
"Harbin Osteen" wrote:

If you could use some super bright white LED's, it would help to save
the batteries, and if correctly designed, it should be good for 2
mile visibility.

They do exist for anchor lights, and I believe at least one has been
certified. Still too expensive for me, but the prices will come down.

Just saw a 30 LED flashlight for $10. I paid about that much a couple of
years ago for 3 LED flashes that we use all the time.

--
Jere Lull

I just did a google search for solar anchor lights .. there are a bunch of
them.

I think one was around $50.

Not bad, it isn't all that big a light so it could be hung up somewhere
during the day and then hoisted up the mast at night.

=========
"Jere Lull" wrote in message
In article ,
"Harbin Osteen" wrote:

If you could use some super bright white LED's, it would help to save
the batteries, and if correctly designed, it should be good for 2
mile visibility.

They do exist for anchor lights, and I believe at least one has been
certified. Still too expensive for me, but the prices will come down.

Just saw a 30 LED flashlight for $10. I paid about that much a couple of
years ago for 3 LED flashes that we use all the time.

--
Jere Lull

No way... you can't hardly see those things from 10' away, much less
the distances needed to make them legal or noticeable.

If you're really interested in a good light with low power consumption,
check out the various LED anchor lights available out there.

Jere Lull wrote in news:jerelull-692670.21030413122006
@news.bellatlantic.net:

Just saw a 30 LED flashlight for $10. I paid about that much a couple of
years ago for 3 LED flashes that we use all the time.

Any Dollar General Store has a VERY nice Westinghouse crank-to-charge, 3
LED emergency flashlight that is very nicely made with wide nylon gears and
Ni-Mh battery pack for the princely sum of $10! 90 seconds cranking nets
90 minutes of light. It looks like a rechargeable razor, about the same
size. The light output is nicely focused into a beam with 3 lenses in the
end of it.

I see Waste Marine has the crap shaker flashlights by the cash register,
today....for some God-awful price. How sad....

The 25hp 4-stroke Merc outboard was only $3,125! No boat came with it,
though....?? If you sell complex outboard motors, shouldn't you have a
SHOP to fix them??

Larry

neon test light question. mike General 2 March 31st 04 02:41 AM
Timing Question, Using a Timing light on an Old Outboard. Joe Here General 5 October 29th 03 12:05 AM
Red over green mast light for sailboat Lee Huddleston Boat Building 4 September 15th 03 04:57 PM
Lightbulb? Here? Clams Canino General 4 August 7th 03 02:22 AM