BoatBanter.com

-   -   light question ... yard solar for anchor light (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/76603-light-question-yard-solar-anchor-light.html)

NE Sailboat December 13th 06 04:59 PM

light question ... yard solar for anchor light

I saw this somewhere .. go get a yard solar light, Lowes/Home Depot ... the
kind you put along the walk way.

I guess I can leave one out ,, it will power up ,,, use it at the mooring ..

Any thought on yard solar lights for sailboats?

KLC Lewis December 13th 06 05:09 PM

"NE Sailboat" wrote in message
I saw this somewhere .. go get a yard solar light, Lowes/Home Depot ... the
kind you put along the walk way.

I guess I can leave one out ,, it will power up ,,, use it at the mooring
..

Any thought on yard solar lights for sailboats?

I like the idea, and have heard it mentioned before. But I don't remember if
they can be seen from sufficient distance.

RW Salnick December 13th 06 05:12 PM

light question ... yard solar for anchor light

KLC Lewis inscribed in red ink for all to know:
"NE Sailboat" wrote in message

I saw this somewhere .. go get a yard solar light, Lowes/Home Depot ... the
kind you put along the walk way.

I guess I can leave one out ,, it will power up ,,, use it at the mooring
..

Any thought on yard solar lights for sailboats?

I like the idea, and have heard it mentioned before. But I don't remember if
they can be seen from sufficient distance.

I have considered this, and I have seen it. The idea isn't that this
should replace the anchor light (on my boat, at the top of a 65' mast),
but rather augment it, at deck level where it should be more visible
close up...

bob
s/v Eolian
Seattle

Bob December 13th 06 05:16 PM

NE Sailboat wrote:
I saw this somewhere .. go get a yard solar light, Lowes/Home Depot ... the
kind you put along the walk way.

I guess I can leave one out ,, it will power up ,,, use it at the mooring ..

Any thought on yard solar lights for sailboats?

Great idea. I was thinking about that too. But descided to use one for
a deck light.

Check at the back of the USCG ColRegs. There is a section that defines
anchor light AKA all around white light, for the size vessel you sail.
They seem to be concerned the acnhor ligt needs to be seen and USCG has
standards. Go figure.

Or thumb through your WM catalogue. They'll tell you.
Lets see. Your anchored. Got your lawn light glowing at night. A boat
runs you down. You turn in an insurance claim and the company trys to
get the other guy to pay for damages, the other operator says I did see
the boat in time to manauver (you). Insuarnce asks why? No anchor light
was visible, Youre screwed. But hey, you saved 50 bucks.

NE Sailboat December 13th 06 06:22 PM

light question ... yard solar for anchor light

Tell you the truth ,, I never thought of this as an anchor light .. just
another light to use, say on deck. Mood light, whathaveyou.

At this point I'm wondering if the solar light actually works.

=======================================
"Bob" wrote in message
ps.com...

Gm1234 December 13th 06 06:24 PM

light question ... yard solar for anchor light

"Bob" wrote in message
ps.com...

NE Sailboat wrote:
I saw this somewhere .. go get a yard solar light, Lowes/Home Depot ...

the
kind you put along the walk way.

I use a Stainless Steel solar light that I bought at a hardware store. I
pop-riveted an eyestrap top and bottom so I can haul it up in the rigging.
We use this when anchored in busy yacht anchorages, just so late arrivals
will see us. It is quite bright and can be seen from a distance, but how
far, I don't know. Many boats show no lights, because these are anchorages.

The regulations for an all round light require 2 mile visibility. These
garden lights are of course not rated, so probably would not be legal.
Therfore, if I was anchoring in or near a navigable channel not designated
as an anchorage, I would switch on the legal masthead allround light (and
run the batteries down!)

GM

Harbin Osteen December 13th 06 07:31 PM

light question ... yard solar for anchor light

If you could use some super bright white LED's, it would help to save the batteries, and
if correctly designed, it should be good for 2 mile visibility.

--

SeeYaa:) Harbin Osteen KG6URO

When American Citizens with dual citizenship pledges allegiance
to the flag, to which flag do they pledge allegiance too?

"Gm1234" wrote in message ...

"Bob" wrote in message
ps.com...

b393capt December 13th 06 08:27 PM

light question ... yard solar for anchor light

At anchor - you need of course to have your anchor light on also, but
this helps make your boat much more visable to other boats that are
very nearby and would miss the anchor light. I know I struggle, with
the bimini up, to see other peoples anchor lights from the helm. In
regards to another post, I would not be concerned that multiple white
lights are misinterpreted, but if I was, could always put an additional
light at the bow (the lawn lights are sold in sets of 6 at the home
depot where I live)

At mooring - People have all sorts of lights on at a mooring, should be
no problem to have this on as well. I might also take an extra one
inside, and leave it near a window plus a radio turn on, if I am not
around. Makes the boat appear inhabited.

Wayne.B December 13th 06 09:17 PM

light question ... yard solar for anchor light

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 18:22:17 GMT, "NE Sailboat"
wrote:

At this point I'm wondering if the solar light actually works.

I have a couple on my dock and I'm not impressed. They are not very
bright, have a bluish glow, and rarely last more than about 4 hours
after sunset.

b393capt December 13th 06 09:28 PM

light question ... yard solar for anchor light

The one's I got at home depot two years ago stay lit for about 10
hours. They don't throw off that much light that the reflected surface
is readable (cant read a book, in fact you can barely see your feet),
but when you look at them they appear bright (for that matter you
cannot read a book from an anchor light either -- even up close)