Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Ilv2sl

Default Main halyard winch, 1sp. or 2sp?

Why replace the winch? Our old halyard winch is for wire and works just
fine for line. If it isn't working right, a quick cleaning may be all
that's needed.

--
Jere Lull

The reason I want to replace the reel winch with a winch for line, is to be
able to raise the main faster, and being able to lower it easier, rather than
letting go the brake. Also, not having to worry about the winch handle breaking
a wrist, if someone leaves it in and releases the brake, or the brake fails.

My question should have been, Has anyone with a 1sp. main halyard winch, found
they would like to have a 2sp winch. Just refering to mailsail luff tensioning,
not hoisting aloft, etc.
I have both a Barient 16 ss 1sp. winch, and a Lewmar 16 chrome 2sp, and have to
decide which one to install, and which to sell. The Barient is in excellent
condition, and the Lwemar is new.
So, do any of you 1sp. users feel a 2 sp. would be the way to go?
Thanks

How to change trailer winch cable on land? Ree-Yees General 12 May 11th 04 03:49 AM
boat trailer winch sizing RB General 4 May 10th 04 11:21 PM
Boat Winch Grumpy General 6 October 5th 03 04:11 PM
Problems replacing main halyard - advice? Vic General 4 August 13th 03 02:57 AM
$#%~#^%@ Halyard piston Shackle Lanyard! Steve Cruising 3 July 19th 03 07:12 PM