posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,alt.sailing.asa

Default Electric fuel pump for a diesel

In a thread a couple weeks ago, I talked about failure of my fuel pump
on my 28' sailboat. It is a Yanmar 2gm that has a mechanical pump that
I backed up with an electric pump to make bleeding the system easier.
I am replacing the mechanical pump but I also need to replace the
electric one. The electric one was from JC Whitney and I do not recall
the brand. However, i do remember that it was not specifically listed
as being for diesel. It is a simple diaphragm pump driven by a
selenoid. I am wondering if the diesel could have eaten away the
diaphragm. Can anyone suggest a good electric fuel pump fpr this
application? JC whitney no longer has it available and I do not trust
it anyway. However, the original owner had it installed when he bought
the boat so I assume it was supposed to be good. When it finally
failed 4 years ago after nearly 16 years, I simply bought an identical
one. Any ideas?

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,alt.sailing.asa

The diaphrams do go. My Yanmar was laid up with fuel in it for six years by
the PO and the diaphram in the electric fuel pump had disolved to about the
consistency of tar. It was just a sticky lump inside the pump. The fuel
had turned to jelly and I suspect it was the critters living in it rather
than the fuel itself that ate up the rubber.

--
-- Roger Long

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,alt.sailing.asa

At the risk of being corrected, I think that diesel fuel is a lot
gentler on fuel systems than gas. I've not personally encountered a
"diesel" electric fuel pump.

Frogwatch wrote:
[...]

According to the original owner, the Yannie fuel pumps are not too
reliable so he got the electric back-up. I cannot verify this about
the Yaniie pumps because I have used the electric for so long. The
electric does allow for very easy bleeding of the engine. I can also
tell if the system needs bleeding by listening to the electric pump.
If it runs for more than a few seconds when I turn the key, system
needs bleeding.. Right now, it runs continuously and pumps no fuel
when I crack the bleeder screws. When it did this 4 years ago, I took
it apart and found a split diaphragm so I replaced the pump.

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,alt.sailing.asa

I went to my local auto parts store and said that I wanted a 12volt diesel
fuel pump. They said that they had them for trucks. Worked great.

Ansley Sawyer
SV Pacem

Ansley W. Sawyer wrote:
I went to my local auto parts store and said that I wanted a 12volt
diesel fuel pump. They said that they had them for trucks. Worked
great.

As long as you keep salt water off of it, it's hard to imagine that the pump
would have any way of knowing it was in a boat instead of a truck. Come to
think of it, being inside the engine room of a boat is probably easier duty
than being under the hood of a semi-truck. Those engines hang out in the
weather and road salt even more than boat engines usually do.

-- Roger Long

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,alt.sailing.asa

On 4 Dec 2006 12:38:06 -0800, "Frogwatch"
wrote:

[...]

Walbro 6802 - rated for continuous operation. I have three of them
on my boat - 2 for priming, 1 for fuel polishing. You can probably
get one for less than $100 if you shop around.

http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?...1&WT.mc_id=gb1

On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 12:38:06 -0800, Frogwatch wrote:

[...]

A better solution is a small day tank mounted high, for a gravity-fed
system. Then you don't have to rely on the electric pump for the engine
to run.

You can use an electric pump, or even a hand pump, to transfer
fuel from the main tank to the day tank. A 28' sailboat needs only a
small day tank -- 5 gallons is plenty.

Matt O.

Frogwatch wrote:

It is a Yanmar 2gm that has a mechanical pump that
I backed up with an electric pump to make bleeding the system easier.
I am replacing the mechanical pump but I also need to replace the
electric one.

NAPA has one specifically for diesel vehicles that has been used for
several years by a guy on another list.

Lew

Fuel pump died - Seawater Pump Removal [email protected] General 4 August 31st 06 01:10 PM
Let there be heat! Gould 0738 General 4 November 29th 04 01:41 AM
How to turn off fuel pump MX6.2L MPI with Cool Fuel Newsgroups General 8 October 8th 04 05:15 AM
Diesel Fuel Decontamination Units Give Stored Fuel Longer Life. John T. Nightingale General 6 February 20th 04 02:28 PM
ANNOUNCEMENT: Diesel Fuel Decontamination Units Give Stored Fuel Longer Life. John T. Nightingale Marketplace 0 February 19th 04 04:48 PM