posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,alt.sailing.asa

Default Electric fuel pump for a diesel

"Ansley W. Sawyer" wrote in
:

I went to my local auto parts store and said that I wanted a 12volt
diesel fuel pump. They said that they had them for trucks. Worked
great.

Hee hee....I have this vision of an electric fuel pump made for an 8V92
monster blowing apart a little 2GM Yanmar....

Sorry. I couldn't help it...(c;

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,alt.sailing.asa

On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 01:43:48 GMT, Lew Hodgett
wrote:

Frogwatch wrote:

It is a Yanmar 2gm that has a mechanical pump that
I backed up with an electric pump to make bleeding the system easier.
I am replacing the mechanical pump but I also need to replace the
electric one.

NAPA has one specifically for diesel vehicles that has been used for
several years by a guy on another list.

That is the Carter 4070 fuel pump. It's an OK pump and is standard on
my Kohler diesel generator but the Walbro is a more rugged unit in my
opinion.

http://www.racetep.com/webfuelspark.html#webfuel
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,alt.sailing.asa

In article ,
Matt O'Toole wrote:

A 28' sailboat needs only a small day tank -- 5 gallons is plenty.

That may be too big. Our main tank is 12 gallons and except for
passage-making, that's good for a season. Motoring hard, it's 3-days'
worth, 4 at low cruise.

We have a 13 year-old Yanmar 2GM with 1200 hours on it and haven't had a
pump problem, but have a squeeze bulb and proper fittings if we need to
do serious priming. In a pinch, we can rig it to limp home.

BTW, some people haven't noticed: The Yanmar primer draws on the
upstroke, not the downstroke. Lift that lever high. Never have needed
that squeeze bulb.

--
Jere Lull
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,alt.sailing.asa

On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 03:52:04 +0000, Jere Lull wrote:

In article ,
Matt O'Toole wrote:

A 28' sailboat needs only a small day tank -- 5 gallons is plenty.

That may be too big. Our main tank is 12 gallons and except for
passage-making, that's good for a season. Motoring hard, it's 3-days'
worth, 4 at low cruise.

All the more reason to do it! All you need is a container big enough to
hold what you'd use in one day. After cruising on a couple of boats with
gravity feed day tanks, I'm convinced it's the only way to go.

Another advantage is you can filter/polish the fuel as it's being
transferred.

Matt O.
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,alt.sailing.asa

Make sure that the electric pump has seals and diaphragm made of EPDM
(EthylenePropylenDiamineMonomer) instead of the 'old' standard Neoprene
or Buna. EPDM is more stable and chemically compatible with diesel
fuel.

What usually breaks the mechanical lift pump diaphragm is ..... too
small of a filter set that is upstream - apply LARGER surface area
filters (easy to do if you are using 'spin-on' Racors. Less
differential pressure across the filters will allow the pump to work
'less hard'. If you are running 2uM Racors,, switch back to 10uM
Racors (and at the engine 'guard' filter) and the 'pressure
differential' will be reduced by a factor of approx. 5.

In article . com,
Frogwatch wrote:

In a thread a couple weeks ago, I talked about failure of my fuel pump
on my 28' sailboat. It is a Yanmar 2gm that has a mechanical pump that
I backed up with an electric pump to make bleeding the system easier.
I am replacing the mechanical pump but I also need to replace the
electric one. The electric one was from JC Whitney and I do not recall
the brand. However, i do remember that it was not specifically listed
as being for diesel. It is a simple diaphragm pump driven by a
selenoid. I am wondering if the diesel could have eaten away the
diaphragm. Can anyone suggest a good electric fuel pump fpr this
application? JC whitney no longer has it available and I do not trust
it anyway. However, the original owner had it installed when he bought
the boat so I assume it was supposed to be good. When it finally
failed 4 years ago after nearly 16 years, I simply bought an identical
one. Any ideas?

Matt O'Toole wrote:

A 28' sailboat needs only a small day tank -- 5 gallons is plenty.

That may be too big. Our main tank is 12 gallons and except for
passage-making, that's good for a season. Motoring hard, it's
3-days' worth, 4 at low cruise.

All the more reason to do it! All you need is a container big enough
to hold what you'd use in one day. After cruising on a couple of
boats with gravity feed day tanks, I'm convinced it's the only way to
go.

Another advantage is you can filter/polish the fuel as it's being
transferred.

Matt O.

Since we might use a quarter gallon some weekends, usually less,
polishing would be a waste for us. Our "big" fuel draws are usually at
the beginning and end of the season, when we're on our vacations and
push to get somewhere.

Even then, we get about 20 nm per gallon at 5-5.5 knots. A modern engine
in a small boat is quite a bit different than you're used to. We draw a
quarter gallon an hour.

The only meaningful defense for us is the 10 micron Racor and the
engine's 2 micron that has yet to show dirt. (and keeping the tank
fairly full to starve the algae.)

But you may have pointed out a reason our fuel pump's been trouble-free:
The whole tank is above the primary pump, so the lift pump has little to
do.

--
Jere Lull

Fuel pump died - Seawater Pump Removal [email protected] General 4 August 31st 06 01:10 PM
Let there be heat! Gould 0738 General 4 November 29th 04 01:41 AM
How to turn off fuel pump MX6.2L MPI with Cool Fuel Newsgroups General 8 October 8th 04 05:15 AM
Diesel Fuel Decontamination Units Give Stored Fuel Longer Life. John T. Nightingale General 6 February 20th 04 02:28 PM
ANNOUNCEMENT: Diesel Fuel Decontamination Units Give Stored Fuel Longer Life. John T. Nightingale Marketplace 0 February 19th 04 04:48 PM