posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,alt.sailing.asa
jamesgangnc jamesgangnc is offline

Default Electric fuel pump for a diesel

At the risk of being corrected, I think that diesel fuel is a lot
gentler on fuel systems than gas. I've not personally encountered a
"diesel" electric fuel pump.

Frogwatch wrote:
In a thread a couple weeks ago, I talked about failure of my fuel pump
on my 28' sailboat. It is a Yanmar 2gm that has a mechanical pump that
I backed up with an electric pump to make bleeding the system easier.
I am replacing the mechanical pump but I also need to replace the
electric one. The electric one was from JC Whitney and I do not recall
the brand. However, i do remember that it was not specifically listed
as being for diesel. It is a simple diaphragm pump driven by a
selenoid. I am wondering if the diesel could have eaten away the
diaphragm. Can anyone suggest a good electric fuel pump fpr this
application? JC whitney no longer has it available and I do not trust
it anyway. However, the original owner had it installed when he bought
the boat so I assume it was supposed to be good. When it finally
failed 4 years ago after nearly 16 years, I simply bought an identical
one. Any ideas?