Default Skype 3.0 has LIVE voice chat!

Does this work with a Linux os?
"Larry" wrote in message
Tsk, tsk, all this typing. It's not really necessary anymore. Download
Skype 3.0 Beta from:
http://skype.com/download/skype/wind...ding_beta.html

You MUST be running Win2000 or WinXP on some kind of broadband, not
dialup, internet. Wifi works fine from the boat. The instructions, if
this is your first Skype install, are on the webpage. For those who have
Skype 1 or 2, simply turn them off and follow the directions to install
3.0b. I can find no bugs at all.

Now the good news.....

Skype 3 has "LIVE", a Live Chat mode! Just like a live typing chatroom,
except it's live VOICE! How cool is that? Click the LIVE tab on Skype
3.0b and it will download the current menu of open chats. Chatrooms are
listed for 5 hours, then disappear off the server, even if the chatroom
stays open for 10. It's the way they clear the server if the net gets
hosed. To pick a room to open, simply click the TALK/LISTEN green phone
on the right side of the room's line. Click "more info" to see what the
room is about, typed by the moderator who started it. ANYONE can be a
moderator, not just the chosen few. To be a moderator, you simply open a
new room and YOU'RE IT! The moderator can open the room up so that when
you logon everyone already can talk, but most rooms are setup so you must
click the request button (upper right corner) which switches you from a
LISTENER to AWAITING the moderator's click. The moderator simply kicks
off any troublemakers, temporarily or permanently. It's his chatroom,
after all.

Everyone who is a TALKER can all talk, in full duplex, at once...just as
if you were sitting around a table at your favorite bar. There is no
passing it around, different from what goes on at the table. Everyone
can hear everyone else...unless you press the MUTE button, a little
button at the lower left with a slash through a microphone....in case you
have to yell at the wife for more beer...or she starts yelling at you to
get off the damned computer and take out the garbage. The headphone
button allows you to adjust headphone volume, and take Skype off
automatic gain control on the mic to reduce background noise. EVERYONE
on a chat room like this should be running HEADPHONES, not speakers, to
make sure there are no echos.

Last night, I checked into a chat moderated by the guy who runs
911blog.org, which also had online (until almost 3AM) the last guy who
escaped the WTC, a couple of former firemen who are now not afraid of
being fired for talking about it, a couple of other 911 website operators
and quite a few interested parties. It was a very interesting chat with
the people who were really there with first-hand information about molten
column supports where metal was running like water and internal
explosions going off BELOW them.

Now, wouldn't it be interesting to have a BOATER live chat so we can all
hear how odd each other really sound....say, TONIGHT at 8PM? Get Skype
today and let's see how it goes.......Bring your own beverages, though...
(c;

Larry
--
Halloween candy sure has dropped in price, lately!

try this.............. your elbo deep in you engine. posted a couple
jpg and now some guy is talking you through your problem. Why is
conference talk useful? Its way faster than posting messages here,
waiting a day or two for info. Simply put insant feedback from a group.

Assuming there's a group (or person) ready and waiting to talk. And an even
bigger assumption about their actually being CORRECT. Instant feedback from
idiots isn't my idea of progress... Of course delayed feedback from idiots
isnt' any better but usenet is what it is... At least there's a chance that
eventually someone with a clue and willingness to communicate it will come
across the thread. For most things I'd much rather have the on-going value
of a thread than an ephemeral voice conversation that's disappeared the
instant it's heard.

It's not about ONE style versus another. There's room for many different
styles of communication.

But then this is nothing new, things like IRC and IM also overlap
newsgroups, mailing lists and the like.

Bob Bob is offline

Larry wrote:
Tsk, tsk, all this typing. It's not really necessary anymore. Download
Skype 3.0 Beta from:
Larry

Larry:

Got a Skype question.

I am getting voice in maessges.

1) Is there a way to create folders and save the messages in diffrent
places within Skype?
2) Any way to move the message as an audio file and save it in a
directory outside Skype or on another drive?

Bob

"Chi Chi" wrote in news:B2O8h.24351$yl4.20852
@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com:

Does this work with a Linux os?
"

Ported to Mac X and Linux, too...

http://www.skype.com/download/skype/linux/

RPM for SuSe9 and newer
RPM for Fedora Core 3, 4 and 5
RPM for Mandriva 10.1 and newer
Debian
Dynamic binary tar.bz2
Static binary tar.bz2 with Qt compiled in

The instructions are on the website. Welcome to Skype for Linux!

The Palm guys say Skype for Palm will be out soon for Palm phones and
PDAs.

Larry
--
Guess what I want to do with the Little Drummer Boy's drum
by Christmas Eve....rrrrump..pa-pum...pum...up his bum....

"Bill Kearney" wrote in
news
Of course delayed feedback from idiots
isnt' any better but usenet is what it is..

Knowing that, I don't know why you would want to talk to any of us idiots,
at all. Why not crawl back under that rock?

Larry
--
Guess what I want to do with the Little Drummer Boy's drum
by Christmas Eve....rrrrump..pa-pum...pum...up his bum....

"Bob" wrote in news:1164347566.713599.208120
@k70g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Larry wrote:
Tsk, tsk, all this typing. It's not really necessary anymore.

Download
Skype 3.0 Beta from:
Larry

Larry:

Got a Skype question.

I am getting voice in maessges.

1) Is there a way to create folders and save the messages in diffrent
places within Skype?
2) Any way to move the message as an audio file and save it in a
directory outside Skype or on another drive?

Bob

There are many new recorders for Skype. Look at:
https://extras.skype.com/

I like the idea of the one that records Skype calls directly to MP3,
which is a great idea.

As to the messages containing audio files, I'm not quite sure what
"messages" you are referring to. Are these chat messages or voicemail
messages or SMS messages?? There really is no "inside" or "outside" to
Skype. Skype and its files reside in C:\Program Files\Skype. Any
Contents Skype stores is stored under My Documents\My Skype Contents or
My Skype Pictures or My Skype Received Files or My Skype Wallpapers,
which simply separates them from My Pictures, etc., from other programs.
Look under My Documents for the Skype subdirectories and I think you'll
find what you're looking for there. You can move them any where you
like. Skype won't care. Skype has already created folders and saved
contents in these places for you.

If you want to see something really neat, download the Internet Explorer
plugin for Skype. Every time the plugin sees a phone number on a
webpage, it creates a dialup clicker for Skype. If you have your
headphones on and want to talk to "them", just click and it dials!...(c;

Larry

"Larry" wrote in message
Of course delayed feedback from idiots
isnt' any better but usenet is what it is..

Knowing that, I don't know why you would want to talk to any of us idiots,
at all. Why not crawl back under that rock?

And with that response, I rest my case.

Bill Moyers on environment, politics and Christian fundamentalists [email protected] General 1852 April 5th 05 11:17 PM
live aboard/house boat/ and go places? richard Cruising 2 February 25th 05 02:39 PM
Enjoy the wild places while they last riverman General 252 November 30th 04 10:22 PM
Chat schoonerrat ASA 0 August 2nd 04 06:18 PM
Live aboard friend wanted General 0 May 24th 04 01:37 PM