Andre Venter

Default microwave 12 volt

Where can I buy a 12v microwave?

Jeff Morris

why?

Andre Venter wrote:
Where can I buy a 12v microwave?

Famous Amos Moses®

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 14:31:30 -0400, "Jeff Morris"
jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom wrote:

why?

Andre Venter wrote:
Where can I buy a 12v microwave?

I saw one marketed...

http://www.3rivers.net/~cmac/m-1.htm

but I also ask "why?"

Max and Hillary, sitting in a tree; Cay-eye-es-es-eye-en-gee.
Peggie Hall

Andre Venter wrote:
Where can I buy a 12v microwave?

I'm pretty sure that microwave and 12v are contradictory terms.

A m/w draws far too much power to be used with anything but an inverter
off a very large battery bank.

--
Peggie
----------

http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Brian Whatcott

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 20:05:07 +0200, "Andre Venter"
wrote:

Where can I buy a 12v microwave?

The same place you buy the low resistance 33 amp cable (for 400 W
model) I guess.

Better to place the inverter right near the batteries, and run line
volts at 4 amps.

Brian W

Ron Thornton

Do a Google search for "12 volt microwave" and you will find them. They
should be more efficient than running off an inverter where you will
lose 20-30% from the conversion. A 12 vdc microwave with a 1200 watt
input will pull 100 amps from a battery. A 120 vac microwave powered
from and inverter will pull at least 120 amps for the same power. In
general, you are always better off with 12 vdc devices if your supply in
12 vdc.

Ron

Wwj2110

Where can I buy a 12v microwave?

samsung makes 1 Maximum power consumption (12v model) 750 watts at 65
amps
Richard Malcolm

only if you know what you are doing, or are willing to learn, I also
suggest an inverter and $40 microwave. I did that this year and have
been happy
get an inverter 2 times what your microwave says it is in its name.
you can find out all you need on this sight if you want to go that
way. just beware that you should know a little before you go out and
install on yourself. Many smarter than I people on this sight will
help you if you ask them to.
Jeff Morris

Its not the input, its the output that counts. My 700 Watt wave uses 80-84 Amps DC
through the inverter (a Heart 2000). Although this implies roughly a 10% overhead in
the inverter, I was able to select a microwave (a Kenmore) that happened to be 10% more
effecient than others on the market.

I've looked an number of times and never found one significantly better than using an
inverter. In fact, most of the offerings are small microwaves with a cheap inverter.
Also, if you buy an "of the shelf" 'wave you can get all the features you want, and you
can look for one with the highest effeciency.

Ron Thornton wrote:
Do a Google search for "12 volt microwave" and you will find them.
They should be more efficient than running off an inverter where you
will lose 20-30% from the conversion. A 12 vdc microwave with a 1200
watt input will pull 100 amps from a battery. A 120 vac microwave
powered from and inverter will pull at least 120 amps for the same
power. In general, you are always better off with 12 vdc devices if
your supply in 12 vdc.

Ron

Jeff Morris

The microwave was advertised as "700 Watt Output" but the AC load was listed as about 900
Watts. Others I looked at were over 1000 Watts load for 700 Watt cavity power. (I'm
doing this from memory as the 'wave and info is on the boat.) The "Peak Efficiency" on
the inverter is listed as 93% - I assume that's somewhere around half load.

Since cheap 120V 'waves seem to have more features than expensive 12V waves, and the
expensive inverters had a lot of other uses this seems like the way to go. If nothing
else, when the 'wave dies I can throw it out and buy another for $79.

I know Andre asked where to buy but it just doesn't make much sense.

BTW, for TVs, my opinion is just the opposite - the energy savings with a DC unit can be
huge.

-jeff

Ron Thornton wrote:
It is the input that determines the load. The cavity wattage means
nothing to the load. 80-84 amps is about 1000 watts. Hardly a 10%
overhead for 700 watts in the cavity. More like the 20-30% I
originally said. If you can't do better than that with a micro
designed for 12 vdc, then I agree that an inverter is one way to go,
but you are just swapping off a cheap micro for an expensive inverter.

Andre's question was where to by one so I give him the benefit of
the doubt on which way he needs to go.

Ron