Jeff Morris

Default microwave 12 volt

The microwave was advertised as "700 Watt Output" but the AC load was listed as about 900
Watts. Others I looked at were over 1000 Watts load for 700 Watt cavity power. (I'm
doing this from memory as the 'wave and info is on the boat.) The "Peak Efficiency" on
the inverter is listed as 93% - I assume that's somewhere around half load.

Since cheap 120V 'waves seem to have more features than expensive 12V waves, and the
expensive inverters had a lot of other uses this seems like the way to go. If nothing
else, when the 'wave dies I can throw it out and buy another for $79.

I know Andre asked where to buy but it just doesn't make much sense.

BTW, for TVs, my opinion is just the opposite - the energy savings with a DC unit can be
huge.

-jeff

Ron Thornton wrote:
It is the input that determines the load. The cavity wattage means
nothing to the load. 80-84 amps is about 1000 watts. Hardly a 10%
overhead for 700 watts in the cavity. More like the 20-30% I
originally said. If you can't do better than that with a micro
designed for 12 vdc, then I agree that an inverter is one way to go,
but you are just swapping off a cheap micro for an expensive inverter.

Andre's question was where to by one so I give him the benefit of
the doubt on which way he needs to go.

Ron