Default Question on Sails

Over the years I've had limited experience with exotic sails. I've
spoken to my friends at two lofts and gotten a couple of stories...so
let's see what other Beneteau owners have to say.

I currently have a Kevlar AKS Smoke mainsail and Pentax mylar 125%
genoa. I LOVE these sails and plan to order a 140 or 150% next. I can
go with the same material, but was wondering if the Kevlar will handle
roller furling. I know this was recently brought up, but the smoke AKS
is tough stuff and perhaps more modern than the sails discussed
earlier. Of course I can go with the pentex again.
Thoughts on this???

These are the current sails in action...pardon the built in plug for my
friend's loft.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=S8CqSXMnFaA

The leech is a bit heavy but otherwise this genoa works well. I guess
I'd like the kevlar version to match the main, but many folks say NO!
mostly due to moisture issues. Then again someone else says the AKS
Smoke from Contender would probably be fine.

Comments?

Robert & Suzanne
35s5
NY

Default SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM Question on Sails

**********SPAM ALERT *********

"Capt. Rob" the used boat and sail
salesman spammed the NG again with....

SPAM deleted

Default Question on Sails SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM

~~~~~ SPAM ALERT ~~~~~~

No, it wasn't spam. Here's the answer sent directly to me. Of course
the new sail costs more than Scotty's whole boat, so he's quite upset
and continues his trolling.

Here's the reply...and thanks! My new sail will be built over the
holidays.

Robert, the AKS is an older series bi-directional cloth with aramid
scrom. Rolling it is not a problem. Hard crimps of the aramid
fibers can be a problem whether it is rolled or flaked. Using a sewn
UV cover adds weight ( to the edges ) of the sail. A sewn on UV cover
allows water to get into the "rolls". The mylar membrane does not
breathe so any water retained in the rolls does not dry out. There
isn't enough of abrasion to worry about rolling the sail, but if you
are concerned abrasion can be reduced further by using Sailkote or
Nano products. If that is not enough get the version with tafetta. If
you are going to leave it up, get a zip UV cover which you can use with
any of your headsails if you want to leave them up. A wet sail will
still need to be dried a bit to lessen the mildew problem. The
aramid sail would be the better choice. You will notice that the leach
of your Pentax moves in and out with the puffs. Aramid will reduce
most of that and more if you use low stretch sheets as well.

You have the same issues with the Pentax sail. The fiber does not
matter, it's the construction. You also have weight issues because of
the sewn on UV cover. As that cover ages it will be able absorb more
moisture and get even heavier. Aramid fibers will retain better shape
as the sail loads up, the Pentax will stretch.

Default SPAM on Sails

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com..
..

YES, it was spam.

We could tell.

Default Info on Sails

It must really be burning you that I've had so much luck lately. And
now everyone is ignoring you. This guy e-mailed me direct just to avoid
you!
But I got the info and the sail is ordered. I actually went with the
pentax mylar again.

As to the "spam" side of things....13 orders so far, Scotty. Island 28
owner just put in for cruz-radials and the price is awesome.

Keep on trolling! You're starting to win everyone over!

Robert
Beneteau 35s5/Hobie 16
NY

Default more S P A M on Sails

SPAM ALERT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

" Rob" wrote

SPAM

Capt ... Kevlar main, Pentax genny .... you are pretty well set...

But ,,,, I watched a certain video ... and ........ someone on your boat
was SMOKING!

I'd be looking into the fire protection system of sails if I were you.

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Yes, and up until recently, he didn't insist that his 2-yr old wear a PFD.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"NE Sailboat" wrote in message
Capt ... Kevlar main, Pentax genny .... you are pretty well set...

But ,,,, I watched a certain video ... and ........ someone on your boat
was SMOKING!

I'd be looking into the fire protection system of sails if I were you.

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
ps.com...
Over the years I've had limited experience with exotic sails. I've