Default winter cover ??

any thoughts on winter covers? i don't like shrink wrap $$$ and then the
waste in the spring.

if you have an idea of covering the boat ... pass it on

Subject to the size of your boat a poly tarp from Wal-Mart will do for about
3-4 years
The best way to do it is to leave the mast on your boat and use it to
support the tarp.
That is to store your mast horizontally and supported by the appropriate
wooden 2 x 4 reversed V frame.
Small boat may have the mast rested on the bow pulpit and supported in the
cockpit by a wooden structure.
Make sure the mast is will tied down so the wind will not push it down.
Then you lay your tarp over it and tie it down.
For a 27 feet long boat a 20'-0" X 30'-0" tarp is a good size, It costs
about $45.00 CDN. I never close the tarp completely at the bow or the stern.
This way the wind flows through and this prevent condensation. The other
way is to have a canvas winter cover made with its own frame. They cost
around $2000.00 CDN.

"Small Sailboat" wrote in message
any thoughts on winter covers? i don't like shrink wrap $$$ and then
the waste in the spring.

if you have an idea of covering the boat ... pass it on

wrote:
Subject to the size of your boat a poly tarp from Wal-Mart will do for about
[...]

I priced a custom made canvas tarp for my 18.5 foot Sandpiper 565
sailboat. They were out to lunch, so I bought a 'Made in China' canvas
tarp from Princess Auto. After two winters and also one summer as a temp
shelter during construction, the canvas rotted. I'll wait for a sale on
the silver/black premium tarps at Canadian Tire or Princess Auto.
My mast lays horizontal stretching from just past my bow pulpit to just
over the stern rail. I bought some 1" conduit and a bunch of 45 & 30
degree elbows so Ii could make up a structure under the tarp. Handy
when heavy wet snows tend to collect on the surface.
krj krj is offline

Small Sailboat wrote:
any thoughts on winter covers? i don't like shrink wrap $$$ and then the
waste in the spring.

if you have an idea of covering the boat ... pass it on

My "winter" cover is a bimini over the cockpit to keep the sun off while
I'm sailing during the best months of the year, Nov to April.
krj

"krj" wrote in message
news
Small Sailboat wrote:
any thoughts on winter covers? i don't like shrink wrap $$$ and then
the waste in the spring.

if you have an idea of covering the boat ... pass it on

My "winter" cover is a bimini over the cockpit to keep the sun off while
I'm sailing during the best months of the year, Nov to April.
krj

I think I speak for everyone for whom winters are white and frozen when I
say, quite emphatically,

PTPTTHTHTHHTHTHTHTH!

On the other hand, fair winds. :-)

Small Sailboat wrote:
any thoughts on winter covers? i don't like shrink wrap $$$ and
then the waste in the spring.

if you have an idea of covering the boat ... pass it on

The classic but old-fashoined way when I started sailing (many moons ago)
was to make up a full-length ridgepole from 4" by 1" timber and one or more
uprights to achieve a nice curve from stem to stern, (for air circulation),
then buy a large tarp to cover the whole thing.

The tarp was either lashed under the boat, or kept in place with weights on
the lashing ropes.

Worked great for me!

Dennis.

I use a ridge pole held up by 2 by 4's. I take off my lifelines and
drop 2 inch black tubing on my stantions. I loop the tubing across the
ridge pole. Good old duct tape holds it all together. I cover the
whole thing with the black and silver tarp - the good stuff. I tried
the blue tarp and it didn't make a full winter. I've used the heavy
grey tarp for more than 10 years. Its at the point of needing
replacement and I've found it at

http://shop.coversuperstore.com/inde...tegoryID=35 7

(no commission for me). I agree that it doesn't feel very earth
friendly to see a large dumpster of shrink wrap leaving my club every
spring.

Hans Paabor
Toronto

Dennis Pogson wrote:
Small Sailboat wrote:
any thoughts on winter covers? i don't like shrink wrap $$$ and
then the waste in the spring.

if you have an idea of covering the boat ... pass it on

Is the winter cover off yet? JimH General 4 April 17th 06 05:02 PM
Winter cover and frame is off........... JimH General 2 April 2nd 06 03:25 AM
Winter cover John W. Bienko ASA 3 November 10th 04 06:33 AM
Boat Cover - Repairable? Chris General 3 June 15th 04 03:44 AM
Winter Cover Material Graham Cruising 22 November 7th 03 04:09 AM