John W. Bienko

Default Winter cover

What are the pros and cons re leaving the stanchions ans
lifelines in place under the winter cover.
In my case I have a Keeble aluminium frame and cover.

--
Longing to be closer to to the sun, the wind and the sea!
Spiritually at: Latitude 21 degrees 19' 9" North. _!_
Capt. Mooron

As long as your frame suitably clears the rails and stanchions you will have
no problem. If the rails can act to catch either snow or water then it will
affect the tarp and place stress to the stanchions which may result in
causing stress fractures to the deck.

I recommend a clearance of at least 6 inches above and outside of the rails
when you set up the tarp frame. If this is not possible... remove the
stanchions.

Hope that helps.

CM

"John W. Bienko" wrote in message

What are the pros and cons re leaving the stanchions ans
lifelines in place under the winter cover.
In my case I have a Keeble aluminium frame and cover.

--
Longing to be closer to to the sun, the wind and the sea!
Spiritually at: Latitude 21 degrees 19' 9" North. _!_
Longtitude 157 degrees 56' 31" West. Aloha! ___o_(_)_o___

katysails

We slit our tarps and then tape so that the cover is not over the stanchions
and lifelines. Really don't want the weight of the snow and ice putting
that kind of a load on the tarp....

"John W. Bienko" wrote in message

What are the pros and cons re leaving the stanchions ans
lifelines in place under the winter cover.
In my case I have a Keeble aluminium frame and cover.

--
Longing to be closer to to the sun, the wind and the sea!
Spiritually at: Latitude 21 degrees 19' 9" North. _!_
Longtitude 157 degrees 56' 31" West. Aloha! ___o_(_)_o___

Maxprop

"John W. Bienko" wrote in message

What are the pros and cons re leaving the stanchions ans
lifelines in place under the winter cover.
In my case I have a Keeble aluminium frame and cover.

We pull our stanchions from their bases and store them and the lifelines
before putting on the cover. Two net effects: 1) the cover has a greater
slope from its ridge to the gunwales, helping to shed snow and ice more
easily. Our cover seldom holds snow for long. 2) there is no stress on the
stanchions from the weight of snow on the cover. Such stress would
undoubtedly either cause leaks at the stanchion bases, or crack the deck
around the bases.

Max

Cover for 13 Whaler???? SeaDweller General 2 August 10th 04 08:26 PM
Boat Cover - Repairable? Chris General 3 June 15th 04 03:44 AM
FS: Kover Klamp Winter Framing Kit in MA [email protected] Marketplace 0 November 27th 03 05:17 PM
Winter Cover Material Graham Cruising 22 November 7th 03 04:09 AM
Boat Cover Cruising 1 July 29th 03 01:25 AM