Chris

Default Boat Cover - Repairable?

Hello,

My old project fishing/ski boat is underway, and I've been looking at all
aspects of what needs to be fixed on this old thing. One thing that helps
maintain the condition of it though as I work through doing the interior is
a cover to keep the rain out. I'm temporarily using a tarp as I must get it
dry inside. However, I do have the original cover that is suppose to go on
this thing too (white with plastic windows). A typical cover I'd assume,
though it is in need of some repair and I'm wondering if that'd even be
worth the time.

The cover is white (typical boat top fabric). It isn't ripped anywhere in
the white, however the plastic windows of it are all gone due to sun damage,
etc. As well, some of the zippers are separating from the rest of the top
as the thread used I guess has worn out too.

Here's my idea.

1. get clear heavy plastic, cut, glue, and stitch back into the windows.

2. stitch the zippers back onto the cover where they are separating

3. get some sort of cover restorer that will soften up, shine up, and
protect the rest of the boat cover (white fabric) before that falls apart
too.

What do you think? I'm looking to do this myself as I've got this project
now for the next year before I'd expect to be complete it. I'd think with a
sealed cover back on I may be able to be rid of the wasps that get into it.

Rod McInnis

"Chris" wrote in message

Here's my idea.

1. get clear heavy plastic, cut, glue, and stitch back into the windows.

The clear vinyl windows come in a variety of grades. Don't get cheap stuff,
and certainly don't attempt to use cheap plastic tarp material. You will
want to cut the window out of a sheet large enough to get the window in one
piece, don't try to glue pieces together.

The reasonable priced stuff will cost around $20 a yard and comes on a roll.
It comes in a variety of thicknesses. A good key word is "double polished".
The really good stuff comes in sheets and sells for ~$120 a sheet. I would
recommend this for a new enclosure but not for refurbishing an old one.

2. stitch the zippers back onto the cover where they are separating

Always a good step

3. get some sort of cover restorer that will soften up, shine up, and
protect the rest of the boat cover (white fabric) before that falls apart
too.

Some thoughts:

A pressure washer can often do wonders for old canvas.
You can often buy the supplies you need from a local canvas shop.
When you sew it together use a heavy weight Dacron thread.
Canvas can put an enormous load on a sewing machine. Not just the ability
to push the needle through but the ability for the feed dogs to drag that
much material forward without slipping.

Rod

Douglas St. Clair

I'm temporarily using a tarp as I must get it
dry inside.

I faced a similar problem last fall with my new project boat. I ended up
having a new cover made for it, which ran about $650. In hindsight it was
well worth the cost, as it's done an excellent job keeping the interior
protected from the elements (rain and snow).

Just a thought - my interior was completely water-logged when I purchased
the boat. I placed a dehumidifier in the boat, with the drain hose emptying
through the hull plug. I put the cover on and left it alone for a week.
With the thing baking in the sun, it drained a steady flow of water for
several days. After a week it was down to an occasional drip, and when I
took off the cover I was amazed. Everything was almost completely dried
through, allowing for a much closer inspection of the "questionable" wood.

Doug

Chris

Well that's an interesting tale I'd like to hear more about. Did you find
the wood had to all be replaced? As mine dries up I'm thinking about
ripping out the carpet, and putting new stuff in, however I also want to be
sure the wood is strong enough. It appears so as my weight on it barely
makes it move.. but I did practically pull the back seats with the screws
right out of the floor (seat plywood was all rotted and likely not marine
plywood)...

"Douglas St. Clair" wrote in message
[...]

OT Hanoi John Kerry Christopher Robin General 34 March 29th 04 01:13 PM
offshore fishing adectus General 7 January 3rd 04 03:23 PM
Repost from Merc group Clams Canino General 0 August 29th 03 12:43 PM