Graham

Default Winter Cover Material

Canvas winter covers are expensive and rot out in about 10 years (Quoted
C$1400 for a 36x22). Cheap woven plastic tarps wear out in a year or two
(Can buy similar size for C$100 - $200)

Has anyone used any other type of cover? One would think that here would be
some type of synthetic fabric that would outlast canvas yet still have it's
weight and abrasion resistance.

Larry Bradley

About 10 years ago I bought a 40x20 plastic tarp for $200 from The
Chandlery here in Ottawa. It is black on one side, silver grey on the
other, and has a filament woven in it. Although it has a couple of
small holes, and is a bit ratty, I think it has a couple of more years
left in it.

"Graham" wrote:

Canvas winter covers are expensive and rot out in about 10 years (Quoted
C$1400 for a 36x22). Cheap woven plastic tarps wear out in a year or two
(Can buy similar size for C$100 - $200)

Has anyone used any other type of cover? One would think that here would be
some type of synthetic fabric that would outlast canvas yet still have it's
weight and abrasion resistance.

Larry Bradley VE3CRX
Remove "removeme" from my e-mail address for direct mail
Ottawa, Canada

(use the e-mail address above to send directly to me)

Jere Lull

Graham wrote:

Canvas winter covers are expensive and rot out in about 10 years (Quoted
C$1400 for a 36x22). Cheap woven plastic tarps wear out in a year or two
(Can buy similar size for C$100 - $200)

Has anyone used any other type of cover? One would think that here would be
some type of synthetic fabric that would outlast canvas yet still have it's
weight and abrasion resistance.

Graham! I should think *you* of all people should know that answer! (I
first "met" Graham on the Tanzer list about a decade ago. He's a person
that I would defer to when he had an opinion.)

From my experience and gleanings, the "silver" premium plastic tarps
seem to have a bit better longevity, but a good supporting structure --
which can be more costly than the tarp -- is the primary determinant on
the covering's survival.

--
Jere Lull

Steve

Sunbrella?

I have see 20 years of service from a full (38') Sunbrella cover for my last
sail boat. It went into the shop about once every 5 years for minor repairs,
due to chafe and towards its end we put a new layer of Subrella at the
peak/high stress area.

Most of this time period was in So. Calif. (LA smog area).

The cover cost the previous owner about $1500 in '76 and it was turned over
to the the fellow I sold the boat to in '96.

However, ya gotta be careful that your canvas shop is going to use True
Sunbrella. Some will insist that what they use is 'just as good'..

--
My opinion and experience. FWIW

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

98stratus

Where are you buying your tarps from?!? I bought a 30 x 20 Heavy Duty 14x14
mesh (the heavist I could find) with a 1000 micron coating for $36 as
Princess Auto. they were on sale. Normally they are $50 If you really want
to get fancy, shrink wrap, Otherwise spend $50 every other year. Pretty
cheap way to cover the boat.

I only bought the 30 foot long one as my mast is my ridge pole and I wanted
it fully covered (the boat is 22')

What size boat are you covering?

Pierre

"Mole" wrote in message
t...
Sunbrella?

"Graham" wrote in message
Canvas winter covers are expensive and rot out in about 10 years (Quoted
C$1400 for a 36x22). Cheap woven plastic tarps wear out in a year or two
(Can buy similar size for C$100 - $200)

Has anyone used any other type of cover? One would think that here would

be
some type of synthetic fabric that would outlast canvas yet still have

it's
weight and abrasion resistance.

Graham

Hi Jere,
It has been a while since the T-22 days, and unfortunately I don't have a
good answer for my own question as to a suitable tarp material for a 32 ft
boat!

I had not thought of Sunbrella as a cover material, mainly because it is
quite costly - I was hoping for a suggestion somewhere between a C$100
plastic tarp and a C$1400 canvas tarp - Perhaps heavier duty woven plastic
would be better - Owners say that the silver ones stand up better.

I have heard that down east, owners sometimes throw an old fishing net over
the plastic tarp and that this stops the self destruction by vibration.

Good Ideas can always be gleaned from groups like this - thus the question!

I suppose that a good supporting frame might help - I have used the mast,
laced rope supports and added foam wrapping around any exposed points that
might cut the tarp. Probably not the best, but hopefully adequate.

By the way, we have retired from the boating business!

Graham

"Jere Lull" wrote in message
Graham wrote:

Canvas winter covers are expensive and rot out in about 10 years (Quoted
C$1400 for a 36x22). Cheap woven plastic tarps wear out in a year or two
(Can buy similar size for C$100 - $200)

Has anyone used any other type of cover? One would think that here would

be
some type of synthetic fabric that would outlast canvas yet still have

it's
weight and abrasion resistance.

Graham! I should think *you* of all people should know that answer! (I
first "met" Graham on the Tanzer list about a decade ago. He's a person
that I would defer to when he had an opinion.)

From my experience and gleanings, the "silver" premium plastic tarps
seem to have a bit better longevity, but a good supporting structure --
which can be more costly than the tarp -- is the primary determinant on
the covering's survival.

--
Jere Lull

Graham

I checked out Princess Auto - For a single tarp to cover a 32' boat, nearest
size was 40x30 at $139.99. Slightly less for two tarps of more suitable
size. I bought a swimming pool cover (~38x22) locally for $99.00 but it may
not be as good a quality and it does not have grommets or bolt rope - just
loops of same material around edge.

Graham

"98stratus" wrote Where are you buying your tarps from?!? I bought a 30
x 20 Heavy Duty 14x14
mesh (the heavist I could find) with a 1000 micron coating for $36 as
Princess Auto. they were on sale. Normally they are $50 If you really

want
to get fancy, shrink wrap, Otherwise spend $50 every other year. Pretty
cheap way to cover the boat.

Graham

Default Winter Cover Material - TYVEK?

One material that I have not seen in shops but is talked about for car
covers etc is Dupont's Tyvek - This is a white material that is very tough -
You see this used for Fedex envelopes and for sheathing houses. It is
apparently waterproof and very light. Anyone know of anyone making boat
tarps from this material? Any experience with it?

Graham

Boat Cover - Repairable? Chris General 3 June 15th 04 03:44 AM
??? Checkmate Predictor boat cover [email protected] General 2 November 7th 03 05:44 PM
??? Checkmate Predictor boat cover [email protected] Boat Building 2 November 7th 03 05:44 PM
Good weekend, except for one little cover problem. Calif Bill General 0 July 30th 03 05:18 AM
Boat Cover Cruising 1 July 29th 03 01:25 AM