Default lifelines with out PVC coating?

Has anyone done this? It seems like the PVC just contributes to life line
degradation. If so, what was your source for the wire/fittings?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Bob Bob is offline

Capt. JG wrote:
Has anyone done this? It seems like the PVC just contributes to life line
degradation. If so, what was your source for the wire/fittings?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Hi:

Excellent observation. That white PVC hides all sorts of problems.
I like the ability to visually inspect my wire
BOb

"Bob" wrote in message
ups.com...

Capt. JG wrote:
Has anyone done this? It seems like the PVC just contributes to life line
degradation. If so, what was your source for the wire/fittings?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Hi:

Excellent observation. That white PVC hides all sorts of problems.
I like the ability to visually inspect my wire
BOb

It's kinda obvious when you see rust marks on the white PVC. :-)

I've seen some links for boat that advertise they have them, but I can't
seem to find a source.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

I think I will replace mine with plain wire. The Genoa and I rub
against and grab the plain wire shrouds all the time without any sign
of a problem. I took the split PVC covers off the shrouds and was
amazed at the gunk underneath. Can't be good for a metal that needs a
replenishing supply of oxygen to avoid corrosion.

I've heard or seen something somewhere about using some of the new
super low stretch rope for lifelines.
Has anyone heard about that idea?

--

Roger Long

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
Has anyone done this? It seems like the PVC just contributes to life
line degradation. If so, what was your source for the wire/fittings?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

I have been looking before to replace my life lines. In Canada, I found at
Canadian Tires, 9 strands Stainless wire labelled aircraft quality. On the
same rack was the same wire with vinyl covering marked $1.49 per foot.

I was ready to buy but I did not have the tools for splicing the (Pelican)
end connectors that hooks on the bow and stern pulpits.

I have seen some sailors using SS U-bolts to secure the connections to the
pulpits and stanchions. Not nautically elegant but safe.

Conversely West Marine are showing (Internet) as showing 304 Stainless Steel
1 X 19 Rigging Wire from $0.79 USD.

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
"Bob" wrote in message
ups.com...

Roger Long wrote:
I think I will replace mine with plain wire. The Genoa and I rub
against and grab the plain wire shrouds all the time without any sign
of a problem. I took the split PVC covers off the shrouds and was
amazed at the gunk underneath. Can't be good for a metal that needs a
replenishing supply of oxygen to avoid corrosion.

I've heard or seen something somewhere about using some of the new
super low stretch rope for lifelines.
Has anyone heard about that idea?

I have seen many different parts of a boats rigging being replaced with
new high modulus ropes. The multihull world is embracing rope because
of the weight savings. They are certainly strong enough and look good
but the are a couple issues that warrant thought. First of all is the
UV degredation. It is much greater in any rope than in wire and
requires more frequent replacement. The second thing is nicks. Wire
will stand some abuse but a nicked rope will be much weaker. I have
seen a couple boat lose their rigs because of nicks in rope backstays.
Finally the splices in the new ropes are much more challenging and many
require special splices to ensure the strength isn't lost.

It is doable but think about pros and cons first.

Gary

7x7 uncoated is hard to come by but 1x19 is fairly common. A good bit
stiffer but that shouldn't make much difference for lifelines.

I have 100' of 1/4" Amsteel Blue which I am considering using. Stronger,
easier to fabricate and a lot cheaper installed. If I can just get past
having blue lifelines. :-)

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
Has anyone done this? It seems like the PVC just contributes to life line
degradation. If so, what was your source for the wire/fittings?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

I've started a new thread about this because I think you bring up an
interesting topic [called "Rope as replacement for lifelines" and it is
just divergent enough to warrant that. I'd very much appreciate anyone
else's opinion or insight about this topic, and especially any
experience anyone has with it.

Gary wrote:
Roger Long wrote:

[...]

"ray lunder" wrote in message
On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 20:11:06 GMT, "Roger Long"

wrote:

My boat came with a strange continuous stranded fiberglass line
which
was covered with white plastic. It weighed practically nothing
and had
epoxied/screw-in connections; no bulky swages or clamps. The pvc
failed and cracked after 20 years and I could never find a
continuous,
unsplit run to cover it with again so I got the s.s. stuff. Much
heavier- less cool. One other option if you could find it.
(perhaps
the UK).

Sounds like 'Parafil'. Very light, very low stretch, easy to DIY
at appropriate lengths. See
http://www.linearcomposites.co.uk/prod_parafil.htm
I used it for several years while racing (hmm, err, in 1973 to
1979!) and once, while clipped to it, went for an inadvertent swim
for about 5 minutes at 7kts.

Since then they've developed several different versions using
different cores.

On my last boat the upper lines were plastic coated 9 strand
stainless, lower lines plain 9 strand stainless, both with swaged
eyes at each end. After 16 years the plastic was discolouring
brown due to UV deterioration on the upper side of the plastic.
One section (of four, I had a centre gate) had some rust stain
showing at a single location on a kink. I stripped the coating to
see what was going on and found a crack in one strand. The rest of
the wire was clean.

My assumption is that the plastic coating was sufficiently porous
to oxygen to permit chrome oxide coatings to exist on the wire,
though why that didn't apply where the crack was was not clear.

Replacing the wire was a bore, since the line threaded through the
stanchions, and the swages prevented removal! Bad maintenace
design. So I had to trot down to the rigger's shop with a whole
lot of stanchions etc in my arms.
--
JimB
http://www.jimbaerselman.f2s.com/

Coating a centreboard with fiberglass resin... Melandre General 2 July 6th 06 09:53 AM
Prop Coating Sailaway Boat Building 10 February 3rd 06 01:34 PM
Barrier Coating a fiberglass hull.... Courtney Thomas Boat Building 7 June 14th 04 01:34 AM
Lifelines, slack or taught Parallax Cruising 4 March 2nd 04 03:31 PM
Lifelines Wally ASA 66 October 22nd 03 10:21 PM