Default Moving to St. thomas USVI from Jersey.

I will be moving from Jersey city nj to St. thomas usvi
in October. I am pretty excited about the move but not excited
by the prospect of selling my sailboat :-(

I really can't afford a broker. but I did put it in soundings magazine
and
there online version. I also posted to hunter owners . com but have
not
generated any results. I was wondering if anyone out there has any
ideas
or know of any web sites that would be free or little money to post an
ad on?

Thanks much

Michael Austin
Jersey City nj.

http://www.wavestation.com

I have a feeling that the used boat market is going to be a bit soft for the
next 5 or 6 months. Why are you selling? If she is a cruising boat why not
sail her down and put in a mooring ball in Charlotte Amalie harbor? You can
get a mooring permit for a couple hundred a year. Definitely cheaper than
a slip in NJ and you can live on her until you find an affordable place to
stay. (Which is not easy.).

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Tongo" wrote in message
ups.com...
I will be moving from Jersey city nj to St. thomas usvi
in October. I am pretty excited about the move but not excited
by the prospect of selling my sailboat :-(

I really can't afford a broker. but I did put it in soundings magazine
and
there online version. I also posted to hunter owners . com but have
not
generated any results. I was wondering if anyone out there has any
ideas
or know of any web sites that would be free or little money to post an
ad on?

Thanks much

Michael Austin
Jersey City nj.

http://www.wavestation.com

Thanks Glen,

I kind of need the money to help me relocate
and I figure once my new job starts I will get a different boat.
My family is getting too large so we are looking to move up to
the 45 - 50' range.

But I would love to sail LunaSea down. I think it could be a great
trip but it would have to be after Hurricane season and thats when
my new job really gets underway...

:-(

Tongo

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
I have a feeling that the used boat market is going to be a bit soft for the
next 5 or 6 months. Why are you selling? If she is a cruising boat why not
sail her down and put in a mooring ball in Charlotte Amalie harbor? You can
get a mooring permit for a couple hundred a year. Definitely cheaper than
a slip in NJ and you can live on her until you find an affordable place to
stay. (Which is not easy.).

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Tongo" wrote in message
ups.com...
I will be moving from Jersey city nj to St. thomas usvi
in October. I am pretty excited about the move but not excited
by the prospect of selling my sailboat :-(

I really can't afford a broker. but I did put it in soundings magazine
and
there online version. I also posted to hunter owners . com but have
not
generated any results. I was wondering if anyone out there has any
ideas
or know of any web sites that would be free or little money to post an
ad on?

Thanks much

Michael Austin
Jersey City nj.

http://www.wavestation.com

Glenn ,, tell me/us more about the mooring ball deal in USVI.

Who do/does one talk to about this? Where would I go for more info? Will
the boat be safe when I'm not there?

===============
"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
I have a feeling that the used boat market is going to be a bit soft for
the next 5 or 6 months. Why are you selling? If she is a cruising boat
why not sail her down and put in a mooring ball in Charlotte Amalie harbor?
You can get a mooring permit for a couple hundred a year. Definitely
cheaper than a slip in NJ and you can live on her until you find an
affordable place to stay. (Which is not easy.).

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Tongo" wrote in message
ups.com...
I will be moving from Jersey city nj to St. thomas usvi
in October. I am pretty excited about the move but not excited
by the prospect of selling my sailboat :-(

I really can't afford a broker. but I did put it in soundings magazine
and
there online version. I also posted to hunter owners . com but have
not
generated any results. I was wondering if anyone out there has any
ideas
or know of any web sites that would be free or little money to post an
ad on?

Thanks much

Michael Austin
Jersey City nj.

http://www.wavestation.com

I don't have all the details but as I replied to Skip privately my
information comes from my sister-in-law's husband who has his 36 Hunter on a
ball in CA harbor. He is one of those relatives you see only at Christmas
and funerals so I have not really pressed him for details. He had the
mooring installed a couple of years ago and has kept the boat on it year
round ever since. He gets down to the boat 5 or 6 times a year for a couple
of weeks but there are a number of liveaboards around him and they have sort
of a neighborhood watch program and he has an arrangement with a couple of
them to check the boat periodically. Apparently the mooring permit is only
a couple hundred bucks a year but Skip has heard that they are hard to come
by.

According to the CFR the whole north side of the harbor is designated as a
small boat anchorage and the Harbor Master controls anchorage permits so if
I were looking for a spot I would start with that office or the VI Port
Authority http://www.viport.com/ .

--

"Thomas Wentworth" wrote in message
Glenn ,, tell me/us more about the mooring ball deal in USVI.

Who do/does one talk to about this? Where would I go for more info? Will
the boat be safe when I'm not there?

===============
"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
I have a feeling that the used boat market is going to be a bit soft for
the next 5 or 6 months. Why are you selling? If she is a cruising boat
why not sail her down and put in a mooring ball in Charlotte Amalie
harbor? You can get a mooring permit for a couple hundred a year.
Definitely cheaper than a slip in NJ and you can live on her until you
find an affordable place to stay. (Which is not easy.).

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Tongo" wrote in message
ups.com...
I will be moving from Jersey city nj to St. thomas usvi
in October. I am pretty excited about the move but not excited
by the prospect of selling my sailboat :-(

I really can't afford a broker. but I did put it in soundings magazine
and
there online version. I also posted to hunter owners . com but have
not
generated any results. I was wondering if anyone out there has any
ideas
or know of any web sites that would be free or little money to post an
ad on?

Thanks much

Michael Austin
Jersey City nj.

http://www.wavestation.com

I just spend an unending half hour on the phone with my brother-in-law
getting more details. You guys owe me big time. :-)

Here is the scoop. Moorings are controlled by the Coastal Zone Management
Program of the Department of Planning and natural Resources. First you have
to register your boat with the DPNR. Then find a spot that is
environmentally unobjectionable, does not interfere with navigation or other
anchoring permits. Then you file a bunch of forms with the CZM who then
inspect the site and issue a sort of zoning permit. At the same time you
file for a mooring permit. A permit is issued to the registered boat and
cannot be used by any other boat. You can't sell, rent or loan the mooring.

Evidently there is no waiting line just a lot of bureaucracy but the major
challenge is finding a spot in the first place.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Dave" wrote in message
On Wed, 9 Aug 2006 11:31:54 -0400, "Glenn Ashmore"
said:

Apparently the mooring permit is only
a couple hundred bucks a year but Skip has heard that they are hard to
come
by.

Meaning you have to bribe somebody to go to the head of the line?