Default Watercraft Excise tax in Maine?

While searching for the Town of Brunswick Maine I ran across the following:

The owner of watercraft located in Maine, unless otherwise exempt, is
liable to pay an annual excise tax to the municipality for the privilege of
operating that watercraft upon the waters of the State.

I wonder how much tax you have to pay and how its assessed? Do we have to
pay excise tax in all of the States or is it only in Maine?

wrote in
:

I wonder how much tax you have to pay and how its assessed? Do we
have to pay excise tax in all of the States or is it only in Maine?

South Carolina counties have a ripoff called "Personal Property Tax":
http://taxweb.charlestoncounty.org/d...itor/faqs.html
This is Charleston County's and is assessed at 10.5% of fair market value
they get from some wizard-of-Oz, the same guy who puts prices on the boat
at the most expensive brokerage in town....you know Catalina 22 - $86,500.

Boat taxes in SC are just awful, so are new cars! I don't even look at new
cars as I choose not to participate. Lucky for me poor black folks always
show up at the polls in their old Caddy's and the politicians are deathly
afraid of them, so an old Mercedes in fine condition costs me $13/year...
(c; Old boats will also be that price, once they've depreciated down. A
new Beneteau Beast keeps paying and paying and paying and paying.....

The school district, in their palatial Taj Mahal on Calhoun Street, gets
the biggest slice of it...you know...."for the children"...who go to school
in a leaky office trailer.

Larry wrote:

wrote in
:

I wonder how much tax you have to pay and how its assessed? Do we
have to pay excise tax in all of the States or is it only in Maine?

Most places have something. Virginia also has Personal Property Tax
on both cars and boats.

[...]

From what I can see every states appear to have some Personal Property tax
or excise taxes of some sort on cars and boats not to mention municipal
property tax.
If an Hurricane or any pertinent act of god destroys personal property on
which the government has levied taxes, Is the government committed to
provide financial assistance for the replacement of personal properties that
have been damaged of destroyed by hurricanes, storms and other acts of god.
Many insurance companies do not provide coverage's for what they define as
an act of god.
Conversely If I want to buy a pre-owned boat will the owner provide me with
the existing tax assessment?

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
news
Larry wrote:

wrote in
:

[...]

Most municipalities levy a property tax on real estate. That's how
they get money to operate, run the schools, etc. Do you expect the
town/city to replace your house just becuase you pay tax on it?

The "excise tax" in Maine is just a property tax like that except that
it goes through the state and then back to the town. I think there
were difficulties because a boat often isn't moored in the same town
the owner lives in. It is based on a formula involving mostly
horsepower and age, not an assessed value.

wrote:

From what I can see every states appear to have some Personal Property tax
or excise taxes of some sort on cars and boats not to mention municipal
property tax.
If an Hurricane or any pertinent act of god destroys personal property on
which the government has levied taxes, Is the government committed to
provide financial assistance for the replacement of personal properties that
have been damaged of destroyed by hurricanes, storms and other acts of god.
Many insurance companies do not provide coverage's for what they define as
an act of god.
Conversely If I want to buy a pre-owned boat will the owner provide me with
the existing tax assessment?

Michael Porter Naval Architect / Boatbuilder
mporter at mp-marine dot com
www.mp-marine.com

On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 10:10:54 GMT, wrote:

From what I can see every states appear to have some Personal Property tax
or excise taxes of some sort on cars and boats not to mention municipal
property tax.

NY and FL are sales tax only, can't speak for others but NH has
traditionally been a low tax state, as has DL.

"Thomas Wentworth" wrote in message
Roger,,, you like paying taxes .. aren't you the one who wants a
license for boaters? AKA ... another tax.

Oh groan, not that red herring again.

I am not in favor of licenses for boaters but I do think there should
be some way to keep people who can't understand what they read off the
water. Fortunately, imaginary boats can do no damage. Even better,
they aren't subject to excise taxes or any other expenses.

--

Roger Long

Dangerous Maga-yacht in Maine Cap'n Ric Cruising 110 August 7th 06 08:21 PM
At 21:40 tonight CST Remember the Maine Joe ASA 7 February 16th 06 05:02 PM
Maine Cruise Trip Report Michael ASA 3 July 18th 04 04:13 AM
Maine Windjammer Cruises (off topic a bit) Mark Borgerson Cruising 5 March 24th 04 07:19 AM
Agreement in Maine Will Remove Dams for Salmon's Sake Phat Ratty Ratt General 0 October 8th 03 11:05 AM