Rosalie B. Rosalie B. is offline

Default Watercraft Excise tax in Maine?

Larry wrote:

wrote in
:

I wonder how much tax you have to pay and how its assessed? Do we
have to pay excise tax in all of the States or is it only in Maine?

Most places have something. Virginia also has Personal Property Tax
on both cars and boats.

South Carolina counties have a ripoff called "Personal Property Tax":
http://taxweb.charlestoncounty.org/d...itor/faqs.html
This is Charleston County's and is assessed at 10.5% of fair market value
they get from some wizard-of-Oz, the same guy who puts prices on the boat
at the most expensive brokerage in town....you know Catalina 22 - $86,500.

Boat taxes in SC are just awful, so are new cars! I don't even look at new
cars as I choose not to participate. Lucky for me poor black folks always
show up at the polls in their old Caddy's and the politicians are deathly
afraid of them, so an old Mercedes in fine condition costs me $13/year...
(c; Old boats will also be that price, once they've depreciated down. A
new Beneteau Beast keeps paying and paying and paying and paying.....

The school district, in their palatial Taj Mahal on Calhoun Street, gets
the biggest slice of it...you know...."for the children"...who go to school
in a leaky office trailer.