Default Watercraft Excise tax in Maine?

Michael Porter wrote in
:

Most municipalities levy a property tax

Liveaboard boaters could, if they weren't so goddamned independent and
live like a bunch of hermits, take some really great advantages from full
time RVers, who have many organizations and companies specializing in
remote residencies for the "mobile impared". If you look around the net
for them, like this one I found just Googling around:
http://www.mydakotaaddress.com/
They provide mailbox service, a residential address in cooperation with
the local tax bureaucrats in states and municipalities with amazingly
little RV taxes/licenses/intrusions and confiscations. The full timers
register their RV/car/boat/etc. with the company address, instead of
where they WERE FROM, some big city full of welfare and bureaucrats to
feed.

Some pay no taxes at all:
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansas...l/14748298.htm
"Dean Roberts of the Motor Vehicle Division for the Montana Department of
Justice estimates that officials have registered about 30,000 motor homes
for people living elsewhere, bringing in about $5 million in registration
fees a year for the state — a fraction of what other states are losing in
taxes."

I have full time RV friends that dumped their house in Charleston, SC,
and moved everything they own to Tennesee. The tax load on their massive
home-on-wheels dropped from over $3200 in SC to $39 and change in RURAL
TN. Small towns and rural counties, still under control of the local
voter-taxpayers, keep the greedy bureaucrats at bay by simply voting the
spenders out of office, to the advantage of the RVers registered there,
too.

Unlike the Dock Condos in most marinas so easily spotted by the local tax
Gestapo, RVers are far more nomadic, never staying in one place long
enough to be captured in the tax Gestapos' network of if-you-stay-here-
more-than-14-days-we're-gonna-tax-your-ass-to-death agents. Dock Condos
can't take advantage of such businesses, I suppose.

Of course, the superrich simply register THEIR Dock Condos in a tax
shelter island like BVI, etc., and fly the flag at the docks to ward off
evil spirits. They keep them on-the-move before the drooling hoards can
board them, computers in hand.

"Thomas Wentworth" wrote in news:jF%Bg.846$QK.271
@trndny06:

Money for education in S Carolina? Isn't that an oxymoron?

The money spent isn't for "education" in SC...it's for "Educrats"....a
whole other matter.

School Educrats make money like doctors and lawyers in SC....

It's "for the children", you know....(c;

The state's colleges and universities generate about 400% more educrats and
800% more lawyers than we need to replace the attrition every year. So,
school systems, already loaded up with previous generations of breeding
educrats that produced them, generate new positions to fill the needs of
their offspring.

They breed like rabbits, here!

It is possible to put a monetary amount on what it cost in watercraft taxes
to own a sailboat.
The scenario would be: I buy a 33 feet sailboat at $100,00.00. Then I
have to pay the sales tax at ? After that I have to pay a tax every year
assessed on the value of the boat. Is the value of the boat the cost of a
new replacement of it fair market value?
The same thing would apply if I leave my sailboat in the US for more than 6
months do I have to pay watercraft tax.
Not to mention that we have to pay a cruising tax when entering the US.

"Larry" wrote in message
"Thomas Wentworth" wrote in news:jF%Bg.846$QK.271
@trndny06:

Money for education in S Carolina? Isn't that an oxymoron?

The money spent isn't for "education" in SC...it's for "Educrats"....a
whole other matter.

School Educrats make money like doctors and lawyers in SC....

It's "for the children", you know....(c;

The state's colleges and universities generate about 400% more educrats
and
800% more lawyers than we need to replace the attrition every year. So,
school systems, already loaded up with previous generations of breeding
educrats that produced them, generate new positions to fill the needs of
their offspring.

They breed like rabbits, here!

The yearly tax varies a lot state to state. In Massachusetts, there's
a fixed valuation. For a 7 year old, 35-40 foot boat that would
$12000, and the tax is 1%, or $120. If the boat is registered in the
state, the info is passed automatically to your home town, and they
will collect or insist you pay the town where its kept. Otherwise,
documented or foreign boats will be noticed if the local harbormaster
is doing his job. For instance, in my town, a mooring permit is
required, and for that you must show proof a payment of the excise tax.

All in all, a $120 tax isn't the worst expense on a $100,000 boat.

wrote:
It is possible to put a monetary amount on what it cost in watercraft taxes
to own a sailboat.
The scenario would be: I buy a 33 feet sailboat at $100,00.00. Then I
have to pay the sales tax at ? After that I have to pay a tax every year
assessed on the value of the boat. Is the value of the boat the cost of a
new replacement of it fair market value?
The same thing would apply if I leave my sailboat in the US for more than 6
months do I have to pay watercraft tax.
Not to mention that we have to pay a cruising tax when entering the US.

wrote in
:

It is possible to put a monetary amount on what it cost in watercraft
taxes to own a sailboat.
The scenario would be: I buy a 33 feet sailboat at $100,00.00. Then
I have to pay the sales tax at ? After that I have to pay a tax
every year assessed on the value of the boat. Is the value of the
boat the cost of a new replacement of it fair market value?
The same thing would apply if I leave my sailboat in the US for more
than 6 months do I have to pay watercraft tax.
Not to mention that we have to pay a cruising tax when entering the
US.

http://tinyurl.com/lmb67
http://www.dnr.sc.gov/boating/registration.html
http://tinyurl.com/ltktw
http://www.thehulltruth.com/forums/t...103175&posts=4
http://www.bankrate.com/brm/itax/edi...ate_tax_SC.asp
http://www.strom.clemson.edu/publica.../tax-guide.pdf
http://www.legis.state.ga.us/legis/2...h/MOTORBOA.pdf
http://www.scstatehouse.net/CODE/t12c036.htm
(no, noone in SC can read that last webpage, either, probably including
the bureaucrats and politicians who wrote it.)

If you park your boat here, you must pay boat taxes to the county here
each year. Tax bureaucrats sweep the marinas looking for cheaters. I
think they must be on commission...(c;

http://www.propertiesofcharleston.com/CB_Taxes.php
http://tinyurl.com/oktqw

Taxes here are just awful trying to support way too many expensive school
educrats. It has always been a shameful situation.

In article ,
says...
From what I can see every states appear to have some Personal Property tax
or excise taxes of some sort on cars and boats not to mention municipal
property tax.

Not here in Oregon, AFAIK. Here, only real property (real estate) gets
taxed. Personal property is taxed only if it is used in a business.

https://regline.osmb.state.or.us/fees

My 18-foot trailer sailer costs about $54 every two years for
registration.

Car registration is $27/year, whatever the value of the car.
A 40-foot motor home is about $175/year. (Motor homes, unlike
boats, pay a fee based on lenght). With fees that low,
nearby states with higher fees and taxes are always looking
for ways to catch their residents who rent a mailbox in Oregon!

Of course, we do have a 10% state income tax. ;-(

If an Hurricane or any pertinent act of god destroys personal property on
which the government has levied taxes, Is the government committed to
provide financial assistance for the replacement of personal properties that
have been damaged of destroyed by hurricanes, storms and other acts of god.
Many insurance companies do not provide coverage's for what they define as
an act of god.
Conversely If I want to buy a pre-owned boat will the owner provide me with
the existing tax assessment?

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
news
Larry wrote:

wrote in
:

I wonder how much tax you have to pay and how its assessed? Do we
have to pay excise tax in all of the States or is it only in Maine?

Most places have something. Virginia also has Personal Property Tax
on both cars and boats.

South Carolina counties have a ripoff called "Personal Property Tax":
http://taxweb.charlestoncounty.org/d...itor/faqs.html
This is Charleston County's and is assessed at 10.5% of fair market value
they get from some wizard-of-Oz, the same guy who puts prices on the boat
at the most expensive brokerage in town....you know Catalina 22 - $86,500.

Boat taxes in SC are just awful, so are new cars! I don't even look at
new
cars as I choose not to participate. Lucky for me poor black folks always
show up at the polls in their old Caddy's and the politicians are deathly
afraid of them, so an old Mercedes in fine condition costs me $13/year...
(c; Old boats will also be that price, once they've depreciated down. A
new Beneteau Beast keeps paying and paying and paying and paying.....

The school district, in their palatial Taj Mahal on Calhoun Street, gets
the biggest slice of it...you know...."for the children"...who go to
school
in a leaky office trailer.

Mark Borgerson

Dangerous Maga-yacht in Maine Cap'n Ric Cruising 110 August 7th 06 08:21 PM
At 21:40 tonight CST Remember the Maine Joe ASA 7 February 16th 06 05:02 PM
Maine Cruise Trip Report Michael ASA 3 July 18th 04 04:13 AM
Maine Windjammer Cruises (off topic a bit) Mark Borgerson Cruising 5 March 24th 04 07:19 AM
Agreement in Maine Will Remove Dams for Salmon's Sake Phat Ratty Ratt General 0 October 8th 03 11:05 AM