Richard Malcolm

Default Where to mount the BBQ grill

am I the only one afraid of fire on a boat. and am I being silly? I
have never understood why boats just don't blow up when grilling? Can
anyone help me?
Jeff Morris

Why should it blow up? My grill hangs over the side so that any lost propane will fall
outside the boat.

"Richard Malcolm" wrote in message
om...
am I the only one afraid of fire on a boat. and am I being silly? I
have never understood why boats just don't blow up when grilling? Can
anyone help me?

Peggie Hall

The key is in keeping the fire OUTside the boat...overhanging the water.

However, many boats have gas--propane, CNG or alcohol stoves in the
galleys. Yes, they do cause fires...but very rarely except when caused
by "operator error" (polite term for "system neglect and/or somebody did
something incredibly stupid").

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Richard Malcolm wrote:
am I the only one afraid of fire on a boat. and am I being silly? I
have never understood why boats just don't blow up when grilling? Can
anyone help me?

Michael Sutton

"Jeff Morris" jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom wrote in message
Why should it blow up? My grill hangs over the side so that any
lost propane will fall outside the boat.

what about a grill on the back rail of a gas-powered cabin
cruiser type boat? You got gas-fumes to deal with.

Most grill's I've seen were on backs of sailboats, most
of which are diesel powered.

what do gas power boat cruisers do?

"Richard Malcolm" wrote in message
om...
am I the only one afraid of fire on a boat. and am I being silly? I
have never understood why boats just don't blow up when grilling? Can
anyone help me?

Peggie Hall

what about a grill on the back rail of a gas-powered cabin
cruiser type boat? You got gas-fumes to deal with.

Not unless you hang it over the gas tank vent. And even that's not as
risky as it sounds because it's gas fumes that collect in enclosed
spaces that explode...if gas fumes that dissipate in open air exploded,
every vehicle with a gas leak would explode when started and gas
stations would be blowing up daily.

Most grill's I've seen were on backs of sailboats, most
of which are diesel powered.

You just haven't been looking. There are even more powerboats with
grills--which were all charcoal in the beginning, and some people still
prefer it to gas--than sailboats.

what do gas power boat cruisers do?

Mine were mounted on the transom and overhung my swim platform.

To my knowledge, there has never been a boat fire caused by a grill
that's installed and used properly...that is, overhanging the water and
propane cylinders stored above decks. It's only when they're used
improperly that there's any danger of anything worse than losing your
dinner overboard.

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

"Richard Malcolm" wrote in message
.com...

am I the only one afraid of fire on a boat. and am I being silly? I
have never understood why boats just don't blow up when grilling? Can
anyone help me?

Peggie Hall

Surely you mean STORE a BBQ...

RichH wrote:
Best place to 'mount' a BBQ is in a LOCKER (with quick
connect/disconnect to a rail, etc.) .... cant wash overboard, isnt
always in the way, doesnt foul the stern with the usual "crap on de back".
A stern that looks like a floating yard sale is IMHO dangerous,
especially for a blue water boat - everthing you add to the stern or bow
results in additional tendancy for the boat to hobbyhorse and 'plunge'
in large waves. You definitely dont want to be hanging onto a stern rail
trying to save a BBQ when there is heavy weather and there are waves
slopping onboard - been there, have the tee shirt. On the other hand, If
you have a 'marina queen' whose primary function is dockside
entertaining, then it really doesnt matter where to put it .... side of
the mast, pulpit, pushpit, top of winch, etc.

Ilv2sl

Mount the grill already!
I've had my propane grill mounted to the stern rail, directlly over the rail
for 6 years of cruising.
2 circumnavigators that just recentlly returned to the marina have theirs there
also. It's not like it's inside the cabin.
I can't imagine having to mount and unmount the grill every time we wanted to
grill something.
Mount it on the rail, and enjoy it!
Jeff Morris

BBQ underway in heavy weather with waves slopping aboard? I'm glad I don't have the
t-shirt!

Most marinas I know don't allow grills to be used in slips. Where I am now there's a city
ordinance against it.

-jeff

"RichH" wrote in message ...
Best place to 'mount' a BBQ is in a LOCKER (with quick
connect/disconnect to a rail, etc.) .... cant wash overboard, isnt
always in the way, doesnt foul the stern with the usual "crap on de back".
A stern that looks like a floating yard sale is IMHO dangerous,
especially for a blue water boat - everthing you add to the stern or bow
results in additional tendancy for the boat to hobbyhorse and 'plunge'
in large waves. You definitely dont want to be hanging onto a stern rail
trying to save a BBQ when there is heavy weather and there are waves
slopping onboard - been there, have the tee shirt. On the other hand, If
you have a 'marina queen' whose primary function is dockside
entertaining, then it really doesnt matter where to put it .... side of
the mast, pulpit, pushpit, top of winch, etc.

Jere Lull

Jeff Morris wrote:

BBQ underway in heavy weather with waves slopping aboard? I'm glad I don't have the
t-shirt!

Most marinas I know don't allow grills to be used in slips. Where I am now there's a city
ordinance against it.

For what its worth: Most marinas we've stopped at on the Chesapeake (
which are rarely other than MD state run) consider propane grills
"enclosed", so are as legal at the dock as our stove. They do NOT want
charcoal fired grills fired up at the dock, though. Considering the
massive flames I've seen coming from some of those, I don't disagree.

We used to store our Magma in a locker between trips, but have left it
on the transom for most of the past 2-3 years. When not in use, the
propane tank goes some place safe, of course. Except that the nylon
covers disintegrate in about one season, we've found no down side to
keeping the grill mounted back there --- they are pretty light. We got a
Sunbrella cover this year so will only be able to comment on its
longevity next season, but it's been pretty effective agiainst the
monsoon rains we've had.... And Magma warantees the Sunbrella covers
for multiple years. (they should at what they charge!)

--
Jere Lull