Dan

Default Saildrive Motor Mount Help

When I purchased this boat, the previous owner had removed the
saildrive engine and engine mount. I am re-installing this engine back
into the boat. This is an old OMC Zephyr Saildrive. The reason the
engine mount was removed was because the bond between the engine mount
and the hull is terrible. The engine mount popped right out! No bond
at all and lots of voids in the epoxy. Three of the mounting lug nuts
fell out. This must have leaked terrible!

The installation instruction manual says, "An alternate method of
supporting the engine mount is to use reinforced epoxy putty to fill
the space between the hull and the bottom of the engine mount flange,
in a conical shape, including complete enclosure of the lug nuts."
"Reinforced putty is made by adding fiberglass dust to the putty to
form a strong bonding material."

My questions are,
What are they referring to as Fiberglass dust? Are they referring to
West system 403 Microfibers?
Adding fiberglass dust to the putty... are they saying that the epoxy
has already been thickened? If so, what would you use, Colloidal
Silica and microballons, or would you use 404 to thicken up the epoxy?
I just want to be sure to use the right stuff.
Thank you,
Dan

Lew Hodgett

"Dan writes:

snip
My questions are,
What are they referring to as Fiberglass dust? Are they referring to
West system 403 Microfibers?

snip

They are referring to chopped glass, probably 1/8".

Add about 5% to your putty.

Don't use WEST System products, don't have a clue about their numbers.

HTH

--
Lew

Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures

Dan

OK, I get it. The chopped strand adds strength and the thickener keeps
the epoxy around the fibers so that the epoxy stays around the fibers.
What would be the best for a large buildup? 1/8", 1/4" or 1/2" fibers?
I'm like everyone in that bigger is better but that may not be the
case here.
Dan

Glenn Ashmore

Actually when they talk about "glass dust" they mean microfiber or
milled glass. 1/8" in plenty long enough. Any longer and it gets to be
a real pain to keep bubbles from getting trapped in the fiber.

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com