Gary Warner

Default Motor Mount - problem and questions.

Situation: We have a 1958 Chris Craft with an inboard 6-cylinder engine.
Manual says the engine weights about 800 lbs. To do some of the hull & rib
work we took the engine out. The engine was mounted to the boat using 4
motor mounts, one on each corner. These mounts (probably like most mounts)
were two plates of steel with rubber separating them.

Looking at the old mounts, we decided that the back two were bad enough to
replace but that the front two could be reused. So I bought two new ones
and a few weeks ago we replaced the engine. The two rear mounts (where more
of the weight is because the engine sets on a tilt angle) were the new
mounts. The front mounts were re-used.

After setting for a week (no in-water use, the engine has not even been run)
the left front mount "sagged" and the rubber split from the steel. OK,
that's just a bad call on our part for not replacing the front mounts.

The back left mount, which was new, also came apart. On one hand I figu
Well, it was probably holding almost twice the weight it should have been,
so that figures. On the other hand I think: Normally one of these mounts
is supposed to handle engine vibration, the torque of the engine trying to
turn the prop, the thrust of prop, heat from the engine, and years of use.

So two questions:
#1: How are these made? Do they glue / epoxy the rubber to the steel or is
it just injection molded or what?

#2: Does it seem strange that a new mount would come apart under these
conditions or not?

Thanks,
Gary

Jack Redington

Lakenut Mechanic, Brian K wrote:
Hello,
since Chris Craft has been out of business for ages snip

They have changed owner but the company is still in business..

http://www.chriscraft.com/

I doubt they have parts of A 58 model

Capt Jack R..

Lakenut Mechanic, Brian K

Hey Jack,
Wow, I can't believe they reopened? I had purchaced boxed lots of
parts when they closed. i bought boxes of fuel sending units and
other similar things on ebay for resale. I'm glad to here they are
back at it,I've always liked their boats.

Brian K

#1: How are these made? Do they glue / epoxy the rubber to the steel or is
it just injection molded or what?

#2: Does it seem strange that a new mount would come apart under these
conditions or not?

Thanks,
Gary

Gary Warner

Thanks.

Yea, the mounts are "after market."

One of the two vendors we bought the
mounts from says his are made by GM.

The stringers are where they are supposed to be and solid.. If they weren't
the entire boat would be messed up.

My guess is the mount failed from a combination of:
A) The old front mound failed because it was old & worn
B) That put almost twice the weight on the back / new mount.
C) It may also have put a "twist" pressure - not just straight on the new
mount.

I guess it's also possible the new mount was defective - but probably not.

Hopefully when we install all four new mounts with the weight evenly
distributed
and no twist on any of the mounts....they will all hold as they should.

Again, Thanks.
Gary

noah

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 11:41:59 -0400, "Gary Warner"
wrote:

Thanks.

Yea, the mounts are "after market."

One of the two vendors we bought the
mounts from says his are made by GM.

The stringers are where they are supposed to be and solid.. If they weren't
the entire boat would be messed up.

My guess is the mount failed from a combination of:
A) The old front mound failed because it was old & worn
B) That put almost twice the weight on the back / new mount.
C) It may also have put a "twist" pressure - not just straight on the new
mount.

I guess it's also possible the new mount was defective - but probably not.

Hopefully when we install all four new mounts with the weight evenly
distributed
and no twist on any of the mounts....they will all hold as they should.

Again, Thanks.
Gary

Gary, with "no use" on the new mount, I would suspect that it was
defective. Unless it was "jammed" during the engine installation, it
should not have split.

noah