Terry

Default trailering from Ohio to North Channel

trailering from Ohio to North Channel -- has anyone done this -- Where is a
good location to launch and leave truck and trailer??

email to

Jerry

Blind River Boat Works is a great place to launch. It gets you into the NC
quicker and gives you access to many popular anchorages.

Jerry
"Steve Christensen" wrote in message
In article , "Mark says...

We trailer from SE Michigan, so if you're going up through Michigan, what

we
do ought to work for you. We drive up I-75 to Sault Ste Marie and then

east
along the north shore of Huron to Spanish, ON. Excellent facilities

there
(the new marina is only a few years old). And no problem leaving your

tow
vehicle and trailer. There are quite a few trailer-sailors who go up and
launch there every year.

We sail for 10 days and typically make it about as far east as Kilarney
before heading back to pull out.

Mark

"Terry" wrote in message
trailering from Ohio to North Channel -- has anyone done this -- Where

is
a good location to launch and leave truck and trailer??

I've done this many times leaving from the Saginaw Bay area, and second

Mark's
suggestion to make for Spanish.

BUT, if you would like to spend much time east AND west of Little Current,

you
might think about driving a bit further to Spider Bay Marina in Little

Current
and launching there. It isn't any nicer than Spanish, but it is a bit

more
centrally located. So depending on your plans it can work out well to

head west
first, then stop off in Little Current to drop off the dirty clothes in

your
car, and then head east to Killarney. You won't go wrong at either

location.

Steve Christensen
Midland, MI

Mark Weaver

"Jerry" wrote in message
Blind River Boat Works is a great place to launch. It gets you into the NC
quicker and gives you access to many popular anchorages.

The extra driving time from Blind River to Spanish doesn't amount to much.
Where to launch really depends on what part of the North Channel you want to
sail. We're kind of partial to the area from the Whalesback Channel to the
west and Kilarney to the east, so Spanish is better for us, but YMMV.

Mark

Terry

Thanks for everyone's help!!

Any advice regarding Canadian/American customs or Coast Guards? We do have
I-68 and passports.

Terry

"Terry" wrote in message
. ..
trailering from Ohio to North Channel -- has anyone done this -- Where is

good location to launch and leave truck and trailer??

email to

Terry

Mark

What marina in Spanish do you use? Also, since this is my first trip, what
would be a sample nice itinerary for a couple of weeks?

Also, are there enough marinas around to get overnights for showers,
recharging, etc.?

Terry

"Mark Weaver" wrote in message

"Terry" wrote in message
t...
Thanks for everyone's help!!

Any advice regarding Canadian/American customs or Coast Guards? We do

have
I-68 and passports.

You really don't need either one if trailering over (and not sailing back
into US waters while there -- which we don't). Crossing at Sault Ste

Marie
has always been quick and painless for us (in both directions) even after
9/11.

Mark

Mark Weaver

"Terry" wrote in message
. ..
Mark

What marina in Spanish do you use?

There are just two -- a small marina with a campground that mostly caters to
fishermen and the large, new municipal Marina. You want the second one.

Also, since this is my first trip, what
would be a sample nice itinerary for a couple of weeks?

Sadly, we've never had quite that long, but here are some places we've
enjoyed very much, and you shouldn't have much trouble hitting them all (and
then some) in two weeks:

Benjamin Island Group--Drop dead gorgeous. Great fun to hike/climb on
the rocky islands. If you were in go-slow mode, you could spend several
days wandering about in the area. We usually hit them once on the way out
and then once on the way back.

http://www.fototime.com/81C0AD46C68AFF3/orig.jpg
http://www.fototime.com/1B365D77751EC4E/standard.jpg

Kagawong -- Pleasant sleepy little town. You can swim with the dockhands,
jumping off the dock next to the faded sign that says "No swimming off the
dock". Little beach there, too (although the little waterslide was
comically high and dry last we saw it). Pretty hike to a waterfall you can
swim under.

Little Current -- We usually make an overnight stop at Spider Bay Marina for
showers, & etc. A good place to refresh & reprovision (several restaurants,
cafes, stores, etc). We usually stop on the way back as well just for ice,
gas, and a bite to eat (though finding tie-up space on the wall can be a
problem if you're there during one of the busiest times). Keep in mind
bridge opening times when passing through Little Current.

Baie Fine -- Freshwater fjord. More stunning scenery. 'The Pool' at the
very end is a renowned anchorage, but recently the weeds have been bad, so
we anchored outside and only dingied in to the Pool. Worth climbing up for
the views here as well:

http://www.fototime.com/6173DF3DFAE7FEF/standard.jpg

Not at all far as the crow flies but a fairly length sail from 'The Pool' is
Covered Portage Cove. Another picture is worth a thousand words deal:

http://www.fototime.com/C242A3A392DB175/standard.jpg

And then just across the way from Covered Portage Cove is Kilarney -- our
favorite civilization stop up there. We're kind of partial to the Kilarney
Mountain Lodge for dinner (even if you don't get a slip there, you can walk
or dingy down, since nothing's far away). Kilarney Provincial Park is very
nearby, so it's a jumping off point for backpackers, kayakers, etc. We did
a day kayaking trip up into the park last year -- much scenery to make you
drool:

http://www.fototime.com/DF01540D4596528/standard.jpg

Also, are there enough marinas around to get overnights for showers,
recharging, etc.?

Well, we much prefer to anchor out -- that's really the point of the North
Channel. But there are slips to be had in Spanish, Kilarney, Little
Current, Kagawong, and Gore Bay in the area between Spanish and Kilarney.

Mark