Terry

Default trailering from Ohio to North Channel

Thanks

Terry

"Mark Weaver" wrote in message

"Terry" wrote in message
. ..
Mark

What marina in Spanish do you use?

There are just two -- a small marina with a campground that mostly caters

fishermen and the large, new municipal Marina. You want the second one.

Also, since this is my first trip, what
would be a sample nice itinerary for a couple of weeks?

Sadly, we've never had quite that long, but here are some places we've
enjoyed very much, and you shouldn't have much trouble hitting them all

(and
then some) in two weeks:

Benjamin Island Group--Drop dead gorgeous. Great fun to hike/climb on
the rocky islands. If you were in go-slow mode, you could spend several
days wandering about in the area. We usually hit them once on the way out
and then once on the way back.

http://www.fototime.com/81C0AD46C68AFF3/orig.jpg
http://www.fototime.com/1B365D77751EC4E/standard.jpg

Kagawong -- Pleasant sleepy little town. You can swim with the dockhands,
jumping off the dock next to the faded sign that says "No swimming off the
dock". Little beach there, too (although the little waterslide was
comically high and dry last we saw it). Pretty hike to a waterfall you

can
swim under.

Little Current -- We usually make an overnight stop at Spider Bay Marina

for
showers, & etc. A good place to refresh & reprovision (several

restaurants,
cafes, stores, etc). We usually stop on the way back as well just for

ice,
gas, and a bite to eat (though finding tie-up space on the wall can be a
problem if you're there during one of the busiest times). Keep in mind
bridge opening times when passing through Little Current.

Baie Fine -- Freshwater fjord. More stunning scenery. 'The Pool' at the
very end is a renowned anchorage, but recently the weeds have been bad, so
we anchored outside and only dingied in to the Pool. Worth climbing up

for
the views here as well:

http://www.fototime.com/6173DF3DFAE7FEF/standard.jpg

Not at all far as the crow flies but a fairly length sail from 'The Pool'

is
Covered Portage Cove. Another picture is worth a thousand words deal:

http://www.fototime.com/C242A3A392DB175/standard.jpg

And then just across the way from Covered Portage Cove is Kilarney -- our
favorite civilization stop up there. We're kind of partial to the

Kilarney
Mountain Lodge for dinner (even if you don't get a slip there, you can

walk
or dingy down, since nothing's far away). Kilarney Provincial Park is

very
nearby, so it's a jumping off point for backpackers, kayakers, etc. We

did
a day kayaking trip up into the park last year -- much scenery to make you
drool:

http://www.fototime.com/DF01540D4596528/standard.jpg

Also, are there enough marinas around to get overnights for showers,
recharging, etc.?

Well, we much prefer to anchor out -- that's really the point of the North
Channel. But there are slips to be had in Spanish, Kilarney, Little
Current, Kagawong, and Gore Bay in the area between Spanish and Kilarney.

Mark