Default Dash sticker residue question ?

Hi,
I have a Larson Cuddy which had a kind of contact paper applied by the
factory to the flat dash area, above the instrument panel. The sun has
taken it's toll on this stuff which has dried up and begun flaking off.
I managed to get it all off however the sticky reside remains on the
fiberglass, which is like new under the glue. I have made some progress
with cheap adhesive remover such as goof off but am looking for
something stronger which would work faster.

Any suggestions? The stuff I am using just softens the glue and pushes
it around but it is tough to lift. Is there a pro product I should get?

Thanks,
Bchbound

"Bchbound" wrote in message
Hi,
I have a Larson Cuddy which had a kind of contact paper applied by the
factory to the flat dash area, above the instrument panel. The sun has
taken it's toll on this stuff which has dried up and begun flaking off.
I managed to get it all off however the sticky reside remains on the
fiberglass, which is like new under the glue. I have made some progress
with cheap adhesive remover such as goof off but am looking for
something stronger which would work faster.

Any suggestions? The stuff I am using just softens the glue and pushes
it around but it is tough to lift. Is there a pro product I should get?

Thanks,
Bchbound

I've used citrus-based paint stripper with good results to remove vinyl
adhesive from gelcoat.
--
Mike Harris
Austin, TX

It can be difficult to find the right method to remove residues. I have
always tried acetone, turpentine, paint thinner or other solvents which I
may have onboard. It is amazing how one solvent will do little or nothing
and the other solvent will work like a hot knife threw butter. Lastly if
nothing else works and if the surface is fiberglass, you may find that
superfine steel wool, wet dry sandpaper or various grades of rubbing
compound will remove the residue.
Lastly why not call up Larson and ask them for advice?

stu

"Bchbound" wrote in message
Hi,
I have a Larson Cuddy which had a kind of contact paper applied by the
factory to the flat dash area, above the instrument panel. The sun has
taken it's toll on this stuff which has dried up and begun flaking off.
I managed to get it all off however the sticky reside remains on the
fiberglass, which is like new under the glue. I have made some progress
with cheap adhesive remover such as goof off but am looking for
something stronger which would work faster.

Any suggestions? The stuff I am using just softens the glue and pushes
it around but it is tough to lift. Is there a pro product I should get?

Thanks,
Bchbound

Gary wrote:

Dennie McKee wrote:
WD-40.

That's what I would have said too.

MEK has definite narcotic possibilities, and I wouldn't use it.

. net...

Bchbound wrote:
Hi,
I have a Larson Cuddy which had a kind of contact paper applied by the
factory to the flat dash area, above the instrument panel. The sun has
taken it's toll on this stuff which has dried up and begun flaking off.
I managed to get it all off however the sticky reside remains on the
fiberglass, which is like new under the glue. I have made some progress
with cheap adhesive remover such as goof off but am looking for
something stronger which would work faster.

Any suggestions? The stuff I am using just softens the glue and pushes
it around but it is tough to lift. Is there a pro product I should get?

Thanks,
Bchbound

Bchbound:

I am trying to get a feel of just thick or harsh the glue that you are
dealing with is. If it is similar to the residue you find left behind
when you take a sticker off, I suggest the safest and easiest way to go
is a good cleaner/finishing wax. Wax has great capability to remove
grime, scuffs and more. If that isn't powerful enough move up to some
good 3M rubbing compound. You can find this at any West Marine. Rubbing
compound is not damaging to fiberglass like it would be to the finish
of your car. Compound can really work its way through some thick grime.
Lastly, be careful with chemicals, they can dry out material such as
fiberglass if you use too much, try something with an acidic base like
goo-gone. Good luck!