Roger Long

Default Say, Peggie...

The holding tank deodorant you recommend isn't carried in any of the
three local stores but I was looking for something to try in the
meantime. Most say they have to be put directly in the tank and not
in the bowl.

I'm curious. Is this the manufacturers just covering their asses in
case someone puts them in the bowl with something else that creates
chlorine or other harmful fumes or is there a real reason we should
heed this instruction if flushing them down with a good charge of
clean water?

--

Roger Long

Peggie Hall

Roger Long wrote:
The holding tank deodorant you recommend isn't carried in any of the
three local stores but I was looking for something to try in the
meantime. Most say they have to be put directly in the tank and not
in the bowl.

Unless it's going into a portapotty, that's nonsense, Roger. So many
tanks are all but inaccessible that it's impossible to put anything
directly into a tank...and pouring it down the deck pumpout fitting is
more likely to leave it sitting somewhere in the tank discharge hose
than in the tank. There's only one way to make sure it gets into the
tank: flush it down the toilet with a good shot of clean water. Just be
sure to flush long enough to make sure it gets to the tank.

West Marine carries Odorlos, but while I haven't checked their price on
that against any other retailers, based on their prices for everything
else these days, I suspect it's at least 50% higher than you can get it
almost anywhere else. They also have a strong RV market...check their
website for dealers near you: http://www.odorlos.com/ Or call 'em and
order it direct from them.

Meanwhile, try to avoid using ANY chemical products 'cuz you'll have to
flush all the chemical out of the tank to use Odorlos, K.O. or any other
non-chemical product. You can prob'ly get by for a weekend--which should
be all the time you need, 'cuz Maine isn't on another planet, you can
surely get anything from just about anywhere in a week or less!--with
any enzyme product. They don't work very well in hot weather, but it's
not very hot in Maine either.

--
Peggie
----------
Roger Long

Ah, glad I didn't put anything in.

We actually don't have any odor at this point but I want to get some
friendly bugs into the system ahead of any problems.

--

Roger Long

Peggie - head feed/supply question Skip Gundlach Cruising 10 May 17th 06 09:34 PM
Ping: Peggie Hall RG Cruising 3 May 1st 06 08:30 PM
Ping Peggie OdorSafePlus Skip Gundlach Cruising 4 February 11th 06 01:20 PM
question for peggie - hose fittings Cindy Ballreich Cruising 4 December 16th 05 08:58 PM
Hey Peggie / Group - LactraSan question [email protected] Boat Building 3 October 10th 05 08:37 PM