rhys

Default Jib sheet bowlines revisited

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 10:06:35 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:

Agreed. But, you're thinking like a racer and I'm thinking like the
one armed paper hanger singlehanding around in narrow busy waters. I
get help a lot of the time but often end up short tacking home up a
narrow channel while the tired kids read down below. I lose more
speed trying to crank and steer at the same time than I would bearing
off a bit with the jib too tight, but I need the boat to point.

Do you have hanks or furling? I single-hand a 33 footer through some
channels near here and find that I'm glad I've still got the ability
to point high.

I also pre-wrap my winches and transfer the handle prior to tacking. I
basically cruise like I'm racing, because I get more out of the boat
that way. But then I like racing OTHER people's boats, absorbing
tactics, and bringing it all back to a more fruitful cruising
experience.

"Thinking like a racer" and the Chinese fire-drill approach aren't
mutually exclusive. To watch me from a distance I tend to be very
still except for the head on a gimbal action of checking sail trim and
the local traffic. Then there's 15 seconds of prep, 15 seconds of tack
and 15 seconds of prep for the next tack. Then it's back to Captain
Bobblehead (with appropriate breaks for beverage maintenance).

The dodgiest parts of singlehanding for me are raising the main if I
don't feel like putting the tillerpilot out and docking, thanks to
prop walk.

R.
rhys

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 17:32:19 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:

Boston Harbor used to (and probably still is) be full of hot shots who
like to port tack five feet from your transom. The stand on vessel
has an equal duty to maintain a steady and predictable course and this
was the one time my judgement about the conflicting duty to avoid a
collision despite right of way came up short. By the time I realized
that he wasn't going to do the hot shot transom pass, it was too late
to take any action. I did learn something though, if you don't see
the helmsman's sunglasses bobbing up and down under the Genoa, assume
they don't see you.

Thanks to level racing to the mark, I've developed a pretty good (but
certainly not infalliable) sense of boats-as-vectors. I won't hesitate
if I have the right-of-way to yell "HOLD YOUR COURSE" if I'm getting
close or shaving a transom. I used to use air horns as per COLREGS but
hardly anyone seems to know that. You can tell what sort of fellow
sailor you are dealing with in the last 50 metres. The panicky type
need immediate reassurance, and the racers (current or ex) watch your
boat for about four seconds and then resume SOP and don't even turn to
look at you. I had one fellow murmur "Nice one" as I cut his wash,
because we both knew I'd called it (for once) properly and had
executed a close maneuver in a crowded lane.

I find most collisions happen at the start, frequently in front of the
RC. No one knows quite why G.

Little things are important. Flaking each lazy sheet down with one
hand while you steer with the other even though it's only 100 yard
tacks up the Peaks Island channel is the kind of thing that is more
relevant to the prudence question in my mind than whether you turn on
the engine.

Good habits count, certainly, and keeping a clear field is doubly
important when single-handing.

R.

Roger Long

"rhys" wrote

Do you have hanks or furling?

Roller furling. I would have preferred it if the boat had come with
hanks because I wanted to give my kids a chance to learn foredeck
work. (Remember how beat up I got here over how "irresponsible" that
was.)

"Thinking like a racer" and the Chinese fire-drill approach aren't
mutually exclusive.

Hardly a Chinese fire-drill. The key is to be deliberate, organized,
and thinking ahead. I just meant that I would be willing to give up
the speed gained by letting the boat accelerate under a slightly
fuller jib in order to be spend the time I would be flattening looking
for traffic and verifying the new course. If stiffer jib sheets would
let me do that, I would put up with their being harder on the hands.
As you or someone up in the thread pointed out, my crusing rig is
probably so flexible that the sheets are not going to make that
difference.

--

Roger Long

Jeff

wrote:

[...]

I'm sorry, what sound signals in the Colregs apply to port/starboard
situations? Which apply to sailboats?
Roger Long

"Ryk" wrote in

As an alternative, consider sailing low and loose while cruising, as
much as that goes against the grain.

My 1980 E32 is a wide sheeting base boat with a fairly shoal draft so
I'm already doing that whether I want to or not; even with everything
strapped as tight as I can get it

--

Roger Long

Jeff

Roger Long wrote:
"Ryk" wrote in

As an alternative, consider sailing low and loose while cruising, as
much as that goes against the grain.

My 1980 E32 is a wide sheeting base boat with a fairly shoal draft so
I'm already doing that whether I want to or not; even with everything
strapped as tight as I can get it

What you need is a clubfoot stays'l so you can self tack with
impunity! When I had Nonsuch catboat I always tacked out of Boston
Harbor, through the anchorages, or even up Nubble Channel.

Your BHSC story reminded me of a near miss I had in Boston Harbor,
when a club Pearson 26 started calling "Leeward" as a group of us were
on the layline to pass the Super Scoop, the world's largest dredge,
used for the Big Dig. I tacked quickly, and then realized the
"leeward" boat's jib was luffing and his outboard engine was running,
as he tried to pass to leeward while outpointing us by about 20
degrees! Rather than back off, he bumped into one boat, which had to
bump another. He was absolutely convinced he had right of way!

http://www.massturnpike.com/html/big...ent/dutra.html

Curiously, while looking for a picture of the Super Scoop, I found
that most references concerned the recent ruling where the Supreme
Court decided last year that the Scoop was a "vessel" for the purposes
of the Jones Act.

http://www.olemiss.edu/orgs/SGLC/Nat...r/4.1scoop.htm
rhys

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 16:29:17 -0400, Jeff wrote:

I'm sorry, what sound signals in the Colregs apply to port/starboard
situations? Which apply to sailboats?

COLREGS Part D, Rules 32-36, with definitions in Rule 34:

Part D - Sound and Light Signals

Rule 32

Definitions

(a) The word "whistle" means any sound signalling appliance capable of
producing the prescribed blasts and which complies with the
specifications in Annex III to these Regulations.

(b) The term "short blast" means a blast of about one second's
duration.

(c) The term "prolonged blast" means a blast from four to six seconds'
duration.

Rule 33

Equipment for Sound Signals

(a) A vessel of 12 meters or more in length shall be provided with a
whistle and a bell and a vessel of 100 meters or more in length shall,
in addition be provided with a gong, the tone and sound of which
cannot be confused with that of the bell. The whistle, bell and gong
shall comply with the specifications in Annex III to these
Regulations. The bell or gong or both may be replaced by other
equipment having the same respective sound characteristics, provided
that manual sounding of the prescribed signals shall always be
possible.

(b) A vessel of less than 12 meters in length shall not be obliged to
carry the sound signalling appliances prescribed in paragraph (a) of
this Rule but if she does not, she shall be provided with some other
means of making an efficient signal.

Rule 34

Maneuvering and Warning Signals

(a) When vessels are in sight of one another, a power-driven vessel
under way, when maneuvering as authorized or required by these Rules,
shall indicate that maneuver by the following signals on her whistle:

*

one short blast to mean "I am altering my course to starboard";
*

two short blasts to mean "I am altering my course to port";
*

three short blasts to mean "I am operating astern propulsion".

(b) Any vessel may supplement the whistle signals prescribed in
paragraph (a) of this Rule by light signals, repeated as appropriate,
whilst the maneuver is being carried out:

*

(i) these signals shall have the following significance:

one flash to mean "I am altering my course to starboard";

two flashes to mean "I am altering my course to port";

three flashes to mean "I am operating astern propulsion".
*

(ii) the duration of each flash shall be about one second, the
interval between flashes shall be about one second, and the interval
between successive signals shall not be less than ten seconds.
*

(iii) the light used for this signal shall, if fitted, be an
all-round white light, visible at a minimum range of 5 miles, and
shall comply with the provisions of Annex I to these Regulations.

(c) When in sight of one another in a narrow channel or fairway:

*

(i) a vessel intending to overtake another shall in compliance
with Rule 9 (e)(i) indicate her intention by the following signals on
her whistle.

two prolonged blasts followed by one short blast to mean
"I intend to overtake you on your starboard side";

two prolonged blasts followed by two short blasts to mean
"I intend to overtake you on your port side".
*

(ii) the vessel about to be overtaken when acting in accordance
with 9(e)(i) shall indicate her agreement by the following signal on
her whistle:

one prolonged, one short, one prolonged and one short
blast, in that order.

(d) When vessels in sight of one another are approaching each other
and from any cause either vessel fails to understand the intentions or
actions of the other, or is in doubt whether sufficient action is
being taken by the other to avoid collision, the vessel in doubt shall
immediately indicate such doubt by giving at least five short and
rapid blasts on the whistle. Such signal may be supplemented by at
least five short and rapid flashes.

(e) A vessel nearing a bend or an area of a channel or fairway where
other vessels may be obscured by an intervening obstruction shall
sound one prolonged blast. Such signal shall be answered with a
prolonged blast by any approaching vessel that may be within hearing
around the bend or behind the intervening obstruction.

(f) If whistles are fitted on a vessel at a distance apart of more
than 100 meters, one whistle only shall be used for giving maneuvering
and warning signals.

Rule 35

Sound Signals in Restricted Visibility

In or near an area of restricted visibility, whether by day or night
the signals prescribed in this Rule shall be used as follows:
(a) A power-driven vessel making way through the water shall sound at
intervals of not more than 2 minutes one prolonged blast.

(b) A power-driven vessel underway but stopped and making no way
through the water shall sound at intervals of no more than 2 minutes
two prolonged blasts in succession with an interval of about 2 seconds
between them.

(c) A vessel not under command, a vessel restricted in her ability to
maneuver, a vessel constrained by her draft, a sailing vessel, a
vessel engaged in fishing and a vessel engaged in towing or pushing
another vessel shall, instead of the signals prescribed in paragraph
(a) or (b) of this Rule, sound at intervals of not more than 2 minutes
three blasts in succession, namely one prolonged followed by two short
blasts.

(d) A vessel engaged in fishing, when at anchor, and a vessel
restricted in her ability to maneuver when carrying out her work at
anchor, shall instead of the signals prescribed in paragraph (g) of
this Rule sound the signal prescribed in paragraph (c) of this Rule.

(e) A vessel towed or if more than one vessel is being towed the last
vessel of the tow, if manned, shall at intervals of not more than 2
minutes sound four blasts in succession, namely one prolonged followed
by three short blasts. When practicable, this signal shall be made
immediately after the signal made by the towing vessel.

(f) When a pushing vessel and a vessel being pushed ahead are rigidly
connected in a composite unit they shall be regarded as a power-driven
vessel and shall give the signals prescribed in paragraphs (a) or (b)
of this Rule.

(g) A vessel at anchor shall at intervals of not more than 1 minute
ring the bell rapidly for ten seconds. In a vessel 100 meters or more
in length the bell shall be sounded in the forepart of the vessel and
immediately after the ringing of the bell the gong shall be sounded
rapidly for about 5 seconds in the after part of the vessel. A vessel
at anchor may in addition sound three blasts in succession, namely one
short, one long and one short blast, to give warning of her position
and of the possibility of collision to an approaching vessel.

(h) A vessel aground shall give the bell signal and if required the
gong signal prescribed in paragraph (g) of this Rule and shall, in
addition, give three separate and distinct strokes on the bell
immediately before and after the rapid ringing of the bell. A vessel
aground may in addition sound an appropriate whistle signal.

(i) A vessel of less than 12 meters in length shall not be obliged to
give the above mentioned signals but, if she does not, shall make some
other efficient sound signal at intervals of not more than 2 minutes.

(j) A pilotage vessel when engaged on pilotage duty may in addition to
the signals prescribed in paragraph (a), (b) or (g) of this Rule sound
an identity signal consisting of four short blasts.

Rule 36

Signals to Attract Attention

If necessary to attract the attention of another vessel, any vessel
may make light or sound signals that cannot be mistaken for any signal
authorized elsewhere in these Rules, or may direct the beam of her
searchlight in the direction of the danger, in such a way as not to
embarrass any vessel Any light to attract the attention of another
vessel shall be such that it cannot be mistaken for any aid to
navigation. For the purpose of this Rule the use of high intensity
intermittent or revolving lights, such as strobe lights, shall be
avoided.

rhys

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 20:08:59 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:

"rhys" wrote

Do you have hanks or furling?

Roller furling. I would have preferred it if the boat had come with
hanks because I wanted to give my kids a chance to learn foredeck
work. (Remember how beat up I got here over how "irresponsible" that
was.)

Heh. Such folk probably wouldn't enjoy seeing my four and a half year
old son (lashed via a lanyard) on the tiller for short stretches in
light airs, either. He has to use the extension and stand on a locker
to see forward, but he's getting a feel for the relationship between
sail, course and rudder angle.

"Thinking like a racer" and the Chinese fire-drill approach aren't
mutually exclusive.

Hardly a Chinese fire-drill. The key is to be deliberate, organized,
and thinking ahead. I just meant that I would be willing to give up
the speed gained by letting the boat accelerate under a slightly
fuller jib in order to be spend the time I would be flattening looking
for traffic and verifying the new course. If stiffer jib sheets would
let me do that, I would put up with their being harder on the hands.
As you or someone up in the thread pointed out, my crusing rig is
probably so flexible that the sheets are not going to make that
difference.

I agree. Solo sailing, I tend to tweak less, and instead go for
"80-90%" efficient, because it's easier on me and the gear. If I'm
feeling particularly lazy, I will just poke about under main alone, as
the prevailing summer southwesterlies make going in front of Toronto a
windward/leeward beam reach both ways. I find a mile south of the
city, I'm clear of most of the traffic anyway, and my loud music and
"male noises" will only offend the fish.

R.

Jeff

Wow! You know how to cut and paste rules! You should take the time
to read them.

With the exception of Rule 34 (d), 5 short blasts, none of these rules
actually apply to a sailboat in a typical race. Unless of course, you
race with your engine running.

Actually there is a more subtle question this brings up: Since it is
assumed that the Colregs (or Inland Rules) are waived by racers, are
any of them appropriate? Clearly some are, such as sound signals in
the fog, since you don't know if the boats you might be interacting
with are racing, but are there rules that must be followed if you know
the other boat is racing? For example, must rule 34d be followed?
Must it be ignored?

rhys wrote:
[...]

krj

rhys wrote:
On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 16:29:17 -0400, Jeff wrote:

I'm sorry, what sound signals in the Colregs apply to port/starboard
situations? Which apply to sailboats?

snip
Rule 34

Maneuvering and Warning Signals

(a) When vessels are in sight of one another, a power-driven vessel
under way, when maneuvering as authorized or required by these Rules,
shall indicate that maneuver by the following signals on her whistle:

Rule 34 applies to "a power-driven vessel"
Does that imply wind-driven power? I don't think so, so does it apply to
sail boats?
krj