Jeff

Default Jib sheet bowlines revisited

rhys wrote:
On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 17:32:19 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:

Boston Harbor used to (and probably still is) be full of hot shots who
like to port tack five feet from your transom. The stand on vessel
has an equal duty to maintain a steady and predictable course and this
was the one time my judgement about the conflicting duty to avoid a
collision despite right of way came up short. By the time I realized
that he wasn't going to do the hot shot transom pass, it was too late
to take any action. I did learn something though, if you don't see
the helmsman's sunglasses bobbing up and down under the Genoa, assume
they don't see you.

Thanks to level racing to the mark, I've developed a pretty good (but
certainly not infalliable) sense of boats-as-vectors. I won't hesitate
if I have the right-of-way to yell "HOLD YOUR COURSE" if I'm getting
close or shaving a transom. I used to use air horns as per COLREGS but
hardly anyone seems to know that.

I'm sorry, what sound signals in the Colregs apply to port/starboard
situations? Which apply to sailboats?