posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Dene

Default Inflatable Canoes

Walmart is running a closeout on a Stearns 2 man canoe for $199. They also
offer the Coleman version for $75. We're looking for something my wife and
I can store and inflate efficiently, for the times when we want to explore
wetlands or visit a dock while moored.

A key concern is stability/safety. We'd like to use it in the winter months
without fear of plunging into the cold Columbia.

Advice?

-Greg

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Gary

Dene wrote:
Walmart is running a closeout on a Stearns 2 man canoe for $199. They also
offer the Coleman version for $75. We're looking for something my wife and
I can store and inflate efficiently, for the times when we want to explore
wetlands or visit a dock while moored.

A key concern is stability/safety. We'd like to use it in the winter months
without fear of plunging into the cold Columbia.

Advice?

-Greg

I have an inflatable kayak. I find that the annoying thing about it is
deflating it and packing it. The valves automatically close when the
plug is out and you have to squeeze them firmly to let the air out.
It's probably a safety feature but it makes re-packing them a chore.

A key concern is stability/safety. We'd like to use it in the winter
months without fear of plunging into the cold Columbia.

Unless it is made of hypalon like an Avon, I'd be very wary of putting
it into cold winter waters where your life depends on it.

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Dene

Default Decision made

"Dene" wrote in message
. ..
Walmart is running a closeout on a Stearns 2 man canoe for $199. They

also
offer the Coleman version for $75. We're looking for something my wife

and
I can store and inflate efficiently, for the times when we want to explore
wetlands or visit a dock while moored.

A key concern is stability/safety. We'd like to use it in the winter

months
without fear of plunging into the cold Columbia.

Advice?

-Greg

I spent last night googling the differences between an inflatable kayak vs.
canoe and the various brands.

Came across this deal, an inflatable kayak, sold as a demo. Originally this
outfit had 75. I bought the last one on a new Visa, which will give me a
free IPOD when I spend $300. So....I got well-reputed 2 man Kayak, paddles,
bag, footpump, and IPOD for $395, including S&H.

http://tinyurl.com/e2wxf

I was impressed with this store owner's knowledge and advice. Holly Harris
@ 707-998-0135 or .

FWIW, Holly mentioned that customers have used this model as a tender, even
towing it. We don't intend to tow it. It's easily inflated and deflated
with the Boston valves. Or....I may fool around with it and strap it to the
swim platform.

We're excited about this. It adds another element to cruising. There are
many small rivers, sloughs, wetlands to explore on the Columbia River.

-Greg

Gary wrote:
Dene wrote:
Walmart is running a closeout on a Stearns 2 man canoe for $199. They also
offer the Coleman version for $75. We're looking for something my wife and
I can store and inflate efficiently, for the times when we want to explore
wetlands or visit a dock while moored.

A key concern is stability/safety. We'd like to use it in the winter months
without fear of plunging into the cold Columbia.

Advice?

-Greg

I have an inflatable kayak. I find that the annoying thing about it is
deflating it and packing it. The valves automatically close when the
plug is out and you have to squeeze them firmly to let the air out.
It's probably a safety feature but it makes re-packing them a chore.

I have an inner tube type of fishing seat. It came with an adaptor to
hook to an air compressor to inflate it. I take that adapter and insert
it into the valve to deflate, works like a charm

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Doug Kanter

"Dene" wrote in message
. ..
Walmart is running a closeout on a Stearns 2 man canoe for $199. They
also
offer the Coleman version for $75. We're looking for something my wife
and
I can store and inflate efficiently, for the times when we want to explore
wetlands or visit a dock while moored.

A key concern is stability/safety. We'd like to use it in the winter
months
without fear of plunging into the cold Columbia.

Advice?

-Greg

Cold water's a great way to die. I'm curious about the need to deflate it
and stow it. Is this because of:

1) Concerns about hauling a regular canoe on top of the car?
2) Storage issues at home?
3) Other? If so, what?

Cost can also be an issue, but with a little patience, you can often find a
used canoe for not much more than $200.

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

Cold water's a great way to die. I'm curious about the need to deflate it
and stow it. Is this because of:

In the winter, we will be using it on flat water only, wearing quality life
preservers, never far from land or boat.

1) Concerns about hauling a regular canoe on top of the car?
2) Storage issues at home?
3) Other? If so, what?

Storage in a 25 foot boat. My Maxum has a 9 foot beam. It's not practical
to haul a 12' tender unless I can easily inflate and deflate it. One of
this kayak's key features is that it and the paddles truly fit into the bag.
Given it's packed-up dimensions, I got a perfect place for it, under the
V-berth.

Cost can also be an issue, but with a little patience, you can often find

used canoe for not much more than $200.

Canoes are more cumbersome than a kayak.

-Greg

"Dene" wrote in message

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

Cold water's a great way to die. I'm curious about the need to deflate it
and stow it. Is this because of:

In the winter, we will be using it on flat water only, wearing quality
life
preservers, never far from land or boat.

OK. Just find out (unless you already know) the relationship between water
temp and minutes to death. Isn't it something like 20 minutes, with the
water around 40 degrees? Sometimes, a life vest ends up being just a nice,
fat handle for lifting your corpse. :-)

Inflatable Canoes Dene General 14 February 22nd 06 06:10 PM
Why not a rowable inflatable? [email protected] Cruising 7 January 23rd 06 12:23 AM
Rugged Inflatable Boats + Engineering Conversions Mic Cruising 0 December 29th 05 11:58 PM
Seahawk 500 Inflatable chrisp2965 General 1 December 10th 05 10:01 PM
Binimi for an inflatable Lloyd Sumpter General 15 November 11th 05 03:46 PM