posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Harlan Lachman

Default Inflatable Canoes

In article , "Dene"
wrote:

Storage in a 25 foot boat.

I easily store my 9' inflatable under a back seat in my less than 25'
Regal.

When cruising off shore, it seems stupid to me to not have some sort of
inflatable that one can rely on.

I agree with all those who are trying to convince you that the
substandard inflatable is not that.

To respond, obviously drop the "nospan"?

We have a Sevylor "Tahiti" inflatable kayak. It is junk. Too hard to
paddle compared to any rigid boat. Worthless.

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Lars Johansson

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
news
OK. Just find out (unless you already know) the relationship between water
temp and minutes to death. Isn't it something like 20 minutes, with the
water around 40 degrees? Sometimes, a life vest ends up being just a nice,
fat handle for lifting your corpse. :-)

Yes, something like 50% chance of survival after 20 minutes. But you loos
you ability to do anything about your situation much faster than that. 4-5
minutes maybe.
/Lars J

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Rosalie B.

"Lars Johansson" wrote:

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
news
OK. Just find out (unless you already know) the relationship between water
temp and minutes to death. Isn't it something like 20 minutes, with the
water around 40 degrees? Sometimes, a life vest ends up being just a nice,
fat handle for lifting your corpse. :-)

Yes, something like 50% chance of survival after 20 minutes. But you loos
you ability to do anything about your situation much faster than that. 4-5
minutes maybe.
/Lars J

It isn't a straight line function. The occupational physician that I
was working with when I fell off the dock in November (in Maryland - I
was folding the sails) said that there was a 50-50-50 rule. In water
of 50 degrees F, 50% of people will survive for 50 minutes. From that
I infer that some people have more resistance to cold water than
others. And in fact that is what one sees when people's boat sinks
when it is in cold water. Some people die quicker and some people
hang on longer.

grandma Rosalie
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Doug Kanter

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
"Lars Johansson" wrote:

[...]

All this assumes that you are still conscious. Sometimes people are injured
before hitting the water. Anyway....your point is still valid.

prodigal1

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 14:14:14 +0000, Rosalie B. wrote:

The occupational physician that I
was working with said that there was a 50-50-50 rule. In water
of 50 degrees F, 50% of people will survive for 50 minutes. From that
I infer that some people have more resistance to cold water than
others.

absolutely, on a hot midsummer day I went into a cold -sub 60- bay in the
North Channel with a thin wet suit and skin diving gear on to check the
underside of the boat and was rendered dangerously hypothermic in less
than 20 minutes. I knew I was in trouble when I could no longer tell
which way was up. I had extreme difficulty getting myself up the ladder
under my own power -my wife had to get a sling under my backside to
assist- and it took me over an hour and a half with the wet suit on
sitting in the sun in the cockpit to get my internal temperature
stabilized. I'm over 50, marathon fit and lack shall we say much body
insulation.

Inflatable Canoes Dene General 14 February 22nd 06 06:10 PM
Why not a rowable inflatable? [email protected] Cruising 7 January 23rd 06 12:23 AM
Rugged Inflatable Boats + Engineering Conversions Mic Cruising 0 December 29th 05 11:58 PM
Seahawk 500 Inflatable chrisp2965 General 1 December 10th 05 10:01 PM
Binimi for an inflatable Lloyd Sumpter General 15 November 11th 05 03:46 PM