richard

Default electric blankets

I treid to post this earlier but do not think that it worked. forgive
me if it double post. Does anyone use electric blankets on board? I
find that at home I only use it on the lowest settings and do not heat
the rooms. How are they with battery power? I have a battery size 27,
and a 1750 Watt inverter. Would I be able to use it all night? How
about with shore power? Thanks

Glenn Ashmore

A regular single bed electric blanket uses about 150 watts on high and about
50 on the lowest setting. Powered through an inverter you can expect to eat
5 to 6 amps/hour on low. .

You might want to look at a 12V electric truckers blanket
http://www.roadtrucker.com/12-volt-h...s-sheets-1.htm but they
are only 57" x 27". Set on high 4.2 amps/hour it would eat about 32 amp
hours a night. A fully charged group 27 will supply about 45 usable amp
hours to 50% so you will not be able to run much of anything else. A 58'x42
will eat 9 amps and pretty well drain a group 27.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"richard" wrote in message
oups.com...
I treid to post this earlier but do not think that it worked. forgive
me if it double post. Does anyone use electric blankets on board? I
find that at home I only use it on the lowest settings and do not heat
the rooms. How are they with battery power? I have a battery size 27,
and a 1750 Watt inverter. Would I be able to use it all night? How
about with shore power? Thanks

Ken Heaton

This is another source for 12 volt electric blankets.
http://www.electrowarmth.com/index.htm Actually these aren't blankets but
pads, they go on the mattress under the sheets instead of over you. We have
a 120 volt one home and love it.

--
Ken Heaton & Anne Tobin
Cape Breton Island, Canada

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
A regular single bed electric blanket uses about 150 watts on high and
about 50 on the lowest setting. Powered through an inverter you can expect
to eat 5 to 6 amps/hour on low. .

You might want to look at a 12V electric truckers blanket
http://www.roadtrucker.com/12-volt-h...s-sheets-1.htm but they
are only 57" x 27". Set on high 4.2 amps/hour it would eat about 32 amp
hours a night. A fully charged group 27 will supply about 45 usable amp
hours to 50% so you will not be able to run much of anything else. A
58'x42 will eat 9 amps and pretty well drain a group 27.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"richard" wrote in message
oups.com...
I treid to post this earlier but do not think that it worked. forgive
me if it double post. Does anyone use electric blankets on board? I
find that at home I only use it on the lowest settings and do not heat
the rooms. How are they with battery power? I have a battery size 27,
and a 1750 Watt inverter. Would I be able to use it all night? How
about with shore power? Thanks

Don White

Ken Heaton wrote:
This is another source for 12 volt electric blankets.
http://www.electrowarmth.com/index.htm Actually these aren't blankets but
pads, they go on the mattress under the sheets instead of over you. We have
a 120 volt one home and love it.

We used to have an electric blanket unril I read somewhere about the
dangers of having an electro-magnetic field so close. Never used the
blanket again.... now I generate my own heat. :-()
chuck

Some manufacturers have dramatically reduced the magnetic field
intensities of their electric blankets in response to these concerns. It
would be useful to do some research on the subject before making a purchase.

Scientific and political opinion varies on the health risks of these fields.

Chuck

Don White wrote:
Ken Heaton wrote:

This is another source for 12 volt electric blankets.
http://www.electrowarmth.com/index.htm Actually these aren't blankets
but pads, they go on the mattress under the sheets instead of over
you. We have a 120 volt one home and love it.

We used to have an electric blanket unril I read somewhere about the
dangers of having an electro-magnetic field so close. Never used the
blanket again.... now I generate my own heat. :-()

Keith

So what's more efficient... using a straight 12V blanket or using a
110V one through an inverter? Seems the former would be more efficient
overall, although I don't know if the difference is enough to worry
about.

chuck

For blankets drawing the same number of watts, the inverter approach is
probably less efficient. Depends in part on whether there are
significant losses in the cables from the battery to the blanket. But
the good news is that all of the losses will probably wind up as an
additional heat contribution to the boat's interior!

Chuck

Keith wrote:
So what's more efficient... using a straight 12V blanket or using a
110V one through an inverter? Seems the former would be more efficient
overall, although I don't know if the difference is enough to worry
about.

RW Salnick

We have one on our boat, and use it. Boy what a great thing! It is a
queen sized one, and we rarely run it higher than 2 (scale of 10); we
have a comforter over it. At that level, it draws a little more DC than
our anchor light. It is a standard 110v model, and we run it thru the
inverter.

NOTE: it is important to be sure to remove all the parasitic loads
(read: wall bricks) if you are going to leave the inverter on for long
periods, like over night. They consume an inordinate amount of power,
even when they are doing nothing.

bob
s/v Eolian

richard wrote:
I treid to post this earlier but do not think that it worked. forgive
me if it double post. Does anyone use electric blankets on board? I
find that at home I only use it on the lowest settings and do not heat
the rooms. How are they with battery power? I have a battery size 27,
and a 1750 Watt inverter. Would I be able to use it all night? How
about with shore power? Thanks

Jonathan Ganz

In article ,
Don White wrote:
Ken Heaton wrote:
This is another source for 12 volt electric blankets.
http://www.electrowarmth.com/index.htm Actually these aren't blankets but
pads, they go on the mattress under the sheets instead of over you. We have
a 120 volt one home and love it.

We used to have an electric blanket unril I read somewhere about the
dangers of having an electro-magnetic field so close. Never used the
blanket again.... now I generate my own heat. :-()

I sure hope you don't have a microwave or ever come near large
buildings, the latter of which gives off significantly more than
background radiation. :-)

--
Capt. JG @@
www.sailnow.com