Glenn Ashmore

Default electric blankets

I can think of a much more enjoyable way to get the sleeping bag warm but I
am to old and married for it to work very well. :-)

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"chuck" wrote in message
link.net...
And it is difficult to beat a hot water bottle as a low-tech solution as
long as the galley stove is available. Even works with sea water!

Chuck

8906 wrote:
I find that well made sleeping bags get plenty warm from body heat. But I
use heating pads or small heating blankets to warm them up before entry
cuz I'm a woos on real cold nights and that first 5 minutes inside is
much nicer when it's already warm.

chuck

Your opinion, or hers?

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
I can think of a much more enjoyable way to get the sleeping bag warm but I
am to old and married for it to work very well. :-)

purple_stars

i would think that having one on board for emergencies might be nice,
like if you fall into the water in the north atlantic and get
hypothermia really bad and need to get warmed up or something. i
remember from my sailing class that the instructor said that when your
body gets down to a certain temperature it can kind of maintain it's
temperature but that it doesn't produce enough heat to warm itself back
up, even with blankets and things piled up on it. so you have to have
some kind of external heat, from another person wrapping around you, an
electric blanket, a fire, etc, to warm back up. ok, so that doesn't
make sense to me, but that's what he said. i would imagine that no
matter how little heat you were producing if you covered up with enough
blankets eventually you'd have to get warm, but then if i had a license
to practice medicine it would have to be out of a cracker jack box,
what do i know about it.

but other than for hypothermia, i wouldn't bother. i was kind of cold
this winter so i tossed a couple of thin cheapie 100% cotton blankets
from walmart on top of my bed and i'm telling you it sure heated things
up. even when it's really cold i usually have to fold one or two of
them back or it's just too hot to sleep at night.

Courtney Thomas

Gary wrote:
purple_stars wrote:

[...]

We have a thing called a bear hugger onboard. It is like a sleeping bag
made out of space blanket type stuff that has a device like a hair dryer
that blows warm air inside it. It is specifically designed for boats
and hypothermia.

Is that the same thing as Bair Hugger ?

Thanks,
Courtney
Courtney Thomas

Gary wrote:
purple_stars wrote:

[...]

Forgot to ask, what do they cost, please ?

Thanks again,
Courtney