News f2s

Default Lavac Heads

"Rich Schultz" wrote in message
I am considering replacing a POS Raritan head with the Lavac
Vacuum System.
Does anyone have any first hand experience with them?

Good systems, very simple. Guests aboard need to be briefed to
close the lid for flushing, but that's easier than having dual
pumps or in/out changeover levers. Electric ones are slow, and of
course, the pump vanes are a little more prone to clogging, so
they're not my choice. Normal failure is of the seat seal - they
seem to have a life of 2 years or so with live-aboard use. Useful
to have a spare if you're travelling far afield.
--
JimB
http://www.jimbaerselman.f2s.com/sw_peloponese.htm

chuck

Have had my Lavac for about five years, one of which was under
liveaboard cruising use.

You cannot imagine the simple pleasure that pumping the Lavac provides!
I don't think anything on the boat functions as perfectly, or as
satisfyingly, as the Lavac. Well, except for the keel. Except at low tide.

Never clogged. Never had to replace the seat seal or the pump parts.
Easy to clean and keep clean. And the power . . .!

I guess they are more expensive than the lowest priced alternatives, but
surely less expensive than some. None is better, IMHO.

Chuck
S/V Sans Serif

Well, I have a couple of Lavacs. With five years live aboard use I've
had three re-builds -- easy but not fun -- and two clogs that required
disassembly. Most of my marine sanitation problems have been with the
Y-valves and I can't blame Lavac for them. Some folks don't like the
seats on Lavacs. They take more cleaning because the seals leave a
mark and they can be a bit damp if cycled quickly... All in all
they're pretty good kit.

-- Tom.

Keep VHF Radio Antenna At Least 1 Meter Away From Our Heads? [email protected] General 18 January 30th 06 08:14 PM
Heads up... Doug Kanter General 8 December 24th 05 03:37 PM
Heads up... jps General 1 December 23rd 05 06:04 AM
Our Team of Righties Heads for Iraq *JimH* General 13 December 10th 05 02:14 AM
Our Team of Righties Heads for Iraq John Gaquin General 2 December 8th 05 09:19 PM