Doug Kanter

Default Heads up...

A Christmas Story is on Turner Classic Movies written by Jean Shepard
- one of my father's very best friends.

How did your dad meet him?

I credit Jean Shepard with taking my high school grades down from A average
to B average. I was supposed to be sleeping at a "reasonable" time, whatever
that means. Instead, I spent most night with the earphones on, listening to
his radio show on WOR radio. Zzzzzzzzzzz.......... That guy could
completely alter your sense or reality, with just as much skill as J.R.R.
Tolkien did with his books.

Doug Kanter

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 19:33:46 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

. ..
A Christmas Story is on Turner Classic Movies written by Jean Shepard
- one of my father's very best friends.

How did your dad meet him?

I credit Jean Shepard with taking my high school grades down from A
average
to B average. I was supposed to be sleeping at a "reasonable" time,
whatever
that means. Instead, I spent most night with the earphones on, listening
his radio show on WOR radio. Zzzzzzzzzzz.......... That guy could
completely alter your sense or reality, with just as much skill as J.R.R.
Tolkien did with his books.

They met in Cincinnati and to tell the truth, I never actually heard
the entire story - bits and pieces - something about a radio show that
went south when my Dad was interviewing for a radio marketing
advertising gig, lots of laughs, a little spirits etc. All this
happened after he left Allis Chalmers and before he went to work for
the Milwaukee Sentinel.

They kept up a correspondence and when we moved East, New York wasn't
the far from Boston and their friendship just continued.

So, you never heard the radio show? It aired on WOR out of NYC. IIRC, 10:00
PM to 10:45 every night. Awesome.

Doug Kanter

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 00:09:31 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

. ..
On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 19:33:46 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

m...
[...]

Oh, my wife and I used to listen to it all the time - in particular
when we were....um.....er.....watching the sub races on Marblehead
Neck out by the Lighthouse. :)

Thems musta been some fast subs. We saw the same races at Jones Beach
(L.I.), Montauk, Hampton Bays, Greenport and Block Island.

JohnH

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 00:34:45 GMT, "Doug Kanter" wrote:

.. .
On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 00:09:31 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 19:33:46 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

om...
[...]

We had 'em in a rock quarry just outside Sedalia, MO!
--
John H

**** May your Christmas be Spectacular!****
*****...and your New Year even Better!*****
Doug Kanter

news:g1jmq1197eladdck7n6ckjl6ekh274j160@4ax. com...
[...]

WTF???

Bill McKee

[...]

I wouldn't know - I don't think we ever saw any...

Buddy did. On the bluffs overlooking the Pacific and in the moonlight,
there goes a sub. As to boating around subs, is scary. The CG clears the
way for subs, or at least they did when they berthed at Mare Island, but the
bow wave even at slow speed is huge! You had to be a long way from it when
the wake hit your area.

Doug Kanter

"Bill McKee" wrote in message
nk.net...

[...]

The CG must've had enough of sailors like my dad. Tom Francis probably knows
the area between Block Island and Plum Island (IIRC) which was a practice
area for subs back in the late '60s. My dad decided we weren't in that area,
when in fact, we were. A sub surfaced about 1/4 mile away, got on the radio,
and asked him if he was aware of the existence of charts. My sister and I
got quite a chuckle from that.

Wayne.B

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 02:14:37 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

the area between Block Island and Plum Island (IIRC) which was a practice
area for subs back in the late '60s.

=====================================

Still is to a certain extent. It's not uncommon to see subs coming
back in through the Race with just the conning tower out of the water
as they head back in to Groton, CT. They are fast, and the bow of the
sub, running just underneath the water or about even, leaves a large
very odd looking wake on the surface. There's a "no go" zone marked
on the charts south of Fishers Island where the subs surface.

Doug Kanter

- I've been the cause of a sub
slowing down a little until I could get the striper into the boat. It
was pretty amusing actually - the escort Coastie wanted me to cut the
line and get out of the way, but the sub commander broke in (I assume
his communications officer) said he'd wait for five minutes.

He thought you said "stripper". That's why he waited. He was wondering why
you threw her overboard.

Heads up... jps General 1 December 23rd 05 06:04 AM
Our Team of Righties Heads for Iraq *JimH* General 13 December 10th 05 02:14 AM
Our Team of Righties Heads for Iraq John Gaquin General 2 December 8th 05 09:19 PM