Doug Kanter

Default Heads up...

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 00:09:31 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

. ..
On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 19:33:46 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

m...
A Christmas Story is on Turner Classic Movies written by Jean Shepard
- one of my father's very best friends.

How did your dad meet him?

I credit Jean Shepard with taking my high school grades down from A
average
to B average. I was supposed to be sleeping at a "reasonable" time,
whatever
that means. Instead, I spent most night with the earphones on, listening
his radio show on WOR radio. Zzzzzzzzzzz.......... That guy could
completely alter your sense or reality, with just as much skill as
J.R.R.
Tolkien did with his books.

They met in Cincinnati and to tell the truth, I never actually heard
the entire story - bits and pieces - something about a radio show that
went south when my Dad was interviewing for a radio marketing
advertising gig, lots of laughs, a little spirits etc. All this
happened after he left Allis Chalmers and before he went to work for
the Milwaukee Sentinel.

They kept up a correspondence and when we moved East, New York wasn't
the far from Boston and their friendship just continued.

So, you never heard the radio show? It aired on WOR out of NYC. IIRC,
10:00
PM to 10:45 every night. Awesome.

Oh, my wife and I used to listen to it all the time - in particular
when we were....um.....er.....watching the sub races on Marblehead
Neck out by the Lighthouse. :)

Thems musta been some fast subs. We saw the same races at Jones Beach
(L.I.), Montauk, Hampton Bays, Greenport and Block Island.