Gary

Default Ocean Kayak and 27footer: store / tow

MMC wrote:
I think Garhauer makes racks that mount to stanctions for hanging kayaks
outside the rail.
I agree with the below, heard too many "wasn't there a dinghy back there
when we left?" stories to do that myself.

I've seen those hangers and it looks like it would rip the stanchions
off in any kind of a seaway. I think that is a very "near shore"
weekender design.

I like the idea of towing the kayak (sit-on-top) better.

Gaz

On Fri, 3 Feb 2006 16:20:06 -0800, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

You were thinking correctly.

See Jon, I back you up when you're right. It just happens so seldom
g.
Capt. JG

I know. I'm imperfect. Not too humble either.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

wrote:

You were thinking correctly.

See Jon, I back you up when you're right. It just happens so seldom
g.

Capt. JG

Well, I've seen it done, and I've seen the result...

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Gary" wrote in message
news%SEf.424192$2k.384298@pd7tw1no...
Capt. JG wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Does anyone have experience either storing an
ocean kayak (closed, sit on top variety) on a 27
foot sailboat, or towing it behind?

What are your experiences? Doable? Horrible?
Good idea?

Thanks!

I believe there's another thread about towing... you should probably
avoid this except for short distances in protected waters.

The question is a little different than towing a dinghy. I too have
wondered about towing a sit-on-top kayak. The difference is they are self
bailing, unsinkable and fairly light. It is more akin to towing a
styrofoam log than a dinghy.

Good question. I am also interested in hearing if anyone has done it.

Gaz

Gary

Capt. JG wrote:
Well, I've seen it done, and I've seen the result...

What did you see?
What was the result?
Capt. JG

A broken painter.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Gary" wrote in message
Capt. JG wrote:
Well, I've seen it done, and I've seen the result...

What did you see?
What was the result?

Gary

Capt. JG wrote:
A broken painter.

That's it?
MMC

Damn expensive experience gathering! A good friend has lost 2 inflatables
while towing! He finally bought davits.....
"Capt. JG" wrote in message
.. .

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
wrote in message
oups.com...

Does anyone have experience either storing an
ocean kayak (closed, sit on top variety) on a 27
foot sailboat, or towing it behind?

What are your experiences? Doable? Horrible?
Good idea?

Thanks!

I believe there's another thread about towing... you should probably
avoid
this except for short distances in protected waters.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

I have that tee shirt.