BoatBanter.com

-   -   Ocean Kayak and 27footer: store / tow (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/66100-ocean-kayak-27footer-store-tow.html)

[email protected] February 3rd 06 10:02 PM

Ocean Kayak and 27footer: store / tow

Does anyone have experience either storing an
ocean kayak (closed, sit on top variety) on a 27
foot sailboat, or towing it behind?

What are your experiences? Doable? Horrible?
Good idea?

Thanks!

Capt. JG February 3rd 06 10:34 PM

Ocean Kayak and 27footer: store / tow

wrote in message
oups.com...

Does anyone have experience either storing an
ocean kayak (closed, sit on top variety) on a 27
foot sailboat, or towing it behind?

What are your experiences? Doable? Horrible?
Good idea?

Thanks!

I believe there's another thread about towing... you should probably avoid
this except for short distances in protected waters.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

[email protected] February 3rd 06 11:30 PM

Ocean Kayak and 27footer: store / tow

Thanks, but I was asking for EXPERIENCES.

There are plenty of threads about towing, the
most recent about towing a heavy motorboat.
Not my interest.

Pleeaaaaase, experiences from people who
have done it. I can speculate plenty myself.

[email protected] February 3rd 06 11:52 PM

Ocean Kayak and 27footer: store / tow

On 3 Feb 2006 15:30:43 -0800, "
wrote:

Pleeaaaaase, experiences from people who
have done it. I can speculate plenty myself.

That kind of smart-assed comment is a pretty sure way to cut off
further answers.

I think Jon was suggesting that the issues involved in towing a kayak
are similar to the issues of towing any dinghy. And he helpfully
pointed you toward a disscussion of those issues that included input
from people with experiences.

MMC February 3rd 06 11:53 PM

Ocean Kayak and 27footer: store / tow

I think Garhauer makes racks that mount to stanctions for hanging kayaks
outside the rail.
I agree with the below, heard too many "wasn't there a dinghy back there
when we left?" stories to do that myself.

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
oups.com...

Capt. JG February 4th 06 12:19 AM

Ocean Kayak and 27footer: store / tow

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks, but I was asking for EXPERIENCES.

There are plenty of threads about towing, the
most recent about towing a heavy motorboat.
Not my interest.

Pleeaaaaase, experiences from people who
have done it. I can speculate plenty myself.

I think many of us have towed dinghies for some distances. My *experience*
is that it's not a good idea, except in protected waters for short periods.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Capt. JG February 4th 06 12:20 AM

Ocean Kayak and 27footer: store / tow

wrote in message
On 3 Feb 2006 15:30:43 -0800, "
wrote:

Pleeaaaaase, experiences from people who
have done it. I can speculate plenty myself.

That kind of smart-assed comment is a pretty sure way to cut off
further answers.

I think Jon was suggesting that the issues involved in towing a kayak
are similar to the issues of towing any dinghy. And he helpfully
pointed you toward a disscussion of those issues that included input
from people with experiences.

You were thinking correctly.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Capt. JG February 4th 06 12:20 AM

Ocean Kayak and 27footer: store / tow

"MMC" wrote in message
.. .
I think Garhauer makes racks that mount to stanctions for hanging kayaks
outside the rail.
I agree with the below, heard too many "wasn't there a dinghy back there
when we left?" stories to do that myself.

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
wrote in message
oups.com...

Does anyone have experience either storing an
ocean kayak (closed, sit on top variety) on a 27
foot sailboat, or towing it behind?

What are your experiences? Doable? Horrible?
Good idea?

Thanks!

I believe there's another thread about towing... you should probably
avoid
this except for short distances in protected waters.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

I have that tee shirt.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Jeff February 4th 06 12:26 AM

wrote:
Thanks, but I was asking for EXPERIENCES.

There are plenty of threads about towing, the
most recent about towing a heavy motorboat.
Not my interest.

Pleeaaaaase, experiences from people who
have done it. I can speculate plenty myself.

I can't help you either.

However, I do keep a large Ocean Kayak (Malibu II XL) on deck on our
36 foot catamaran. Our shrouds are inboard, and there's enough room
to wedge it between the shrouds and lifelines. At 61 pounds its light
enough for one person to drop it overboard, but its a lot easier to
use the main halyard and winch.

The kayak got a lot of use last summer: daily trips ashore with the
dog; poking around the anchorage. etc. The downside is that you
inevitably get a bit wet, and you have to accept the possibility of
getting a lot wet. So the hard dink is still better for fetching
groceries, etc.

I wouldn't want to tow it any distance. If you tow above its hull
speed it could be stressed; they strongly advise against towing with a
powerboat at speed.

http://www.oceankayak.com/malibutwoxl.html
http://www.sv-loki.com/Molly_Doodle/MollyBanana1.jpg

Gary February 4th 06 12:59 AM

Ocean Kayak and 27footer: store / tow

Capt. JG wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Does anyone have experience either storing an
ocean kayak (closed, sit on top variety) on a 27
foot sailboat, or towing it behind?

What are your experiences? Doable? Horrible?
Good idea?

Thanks!

I believe there's another thread about towing... you should probably avoid
this except for short distances in protected waters.

The question is a little different than towing a dinghy. I too have
wondered about towing a sit-on-top kayak. The difference is they are
self bailing, unsinkable and fairly light. It is more akin to towing a
styrofoam log than a dinghy.

Good question. I am also interested in hearing if anyone has done it.

Gaz