Glenn A. Heslop

Default Towing larger "dingy"

Yes, that's my concern. I was encouraged by another cruiser that's planning
to do the same and was hoping to gather some wisdom from the experience of
the folks on this group.

Thanks!

Glenn.
s/v Seawing
www.seawing.net

"Marc Auslander" wrote in message
Have you considered the consequences of being overtaken by bad weather
- a squall or an actual storm - while towing a boat large and heavy
enough to damage your boat in a collision?

Remember - you are talking about going off shore - not just day to day
coastal cruising.

I would hesitate to tow any dinghy at all when at sea.

Ed

Glenn,

I tow a 17 whaler but I only go to the bahamas and my 17 whaler can take
6' plus seas and even it if does swamp (Which it hasn't yet even in 6++
seas) it is not SUPPOSED to sink (Don't want to test that one...)

I would not tow a lake boat to the islands, let alone to the yucatan.!!!

Now if you want to tow it around the keys... no issues... you are 30 min
from port at any time.

Have fun and stay safe

Ed

Glenn A. Heslop wrote:

Ed,

Sound scarry. We usually use a 12' Portabote folding dingy...though we
usually stow it onboard when at sea, without folding it. We just have this
boat hanging around home and have begun thinking it sure would be nice to
have a larger and faster boat around for exploring. It could just be a real
big pain I guess. I have been pretty concerned about how safe it could be
to tow at sea...though another sailor I know in the Keys suggested it would
work.

Glenn.
s/v Seawing
www.seawing.net

"Ed" wrote in message
news
The Seas in that area can be nasty. I know a captain of a large sport
fish who took a wave while cruising from KW to the yucatan. Sunk the
boat in 30 seconds after it broke through the house. I suggest a
large inflatable that can be deinflated and put in the bow for the long
runs and towed for the short hauls.

Jonathan Ganz wrote:

In article aYwBf.441166$ki.372111@pd7tw2no,
John Glynn wrote:

Okay...so I have a crazy question for y'all. Please be patient with
me...just want some of your experience/wisdom.

I have been using a 12' Portabote for my dingy & thought it's not

perfect, I

like it. I just had an idea. I have an older 15.5' family 'speed-boat'

of

'70's vintage. It has a 70HP outboard, convertable top etc.

We are considering sailing from the Florida Keys towards Mexico and then
cruising south to Guattemalla. Had the idea of (in addition to the
Portabote) towing the 15.5' boat along. I thought that it would be

great to

load my wife and kids into a larger faster boat to be able to explore
further afield from our chosen anchorage. No, I am not one of the folks
that roars through anchorages rocking everyone's home...done my share of
screaming at those (given up on that now). Just thinking it would be

sure

handy.

It will significantly slow us down our 41' Gulfstar , I know. I thought

would put the convertible top on it to prevent the collection of

rainwater

and install a couple large bilge-pumps and solar-panel to keep batter

topped

up.

Please forward your honest comments and experiences...no flames please.

Thanks! :-)

Glenn.
s/v Seawing
www.seawing.net

Towing anything for any significant amount of time is not
recommended.

Jere Lull

"John Glynn" wrote:

I just had an idea. I have an older 15.5' family 'speed-boat' of
'70's vintage. It has a 70HP outboard, convertable top etc.

We are considering sailing from the Florida Keys towards Mexico and then
cruising south to Guattemalla. Had the idea of (in addition to the
Portabote) towing the 15.5' boat along.

Friends with a trawler towed an 18' boat all around the Chesapeake for
years. They traded it in for a RIB on new davits when they went to the
Bahamas.

Definitely take a second "taxi" if you can, but make sure you don't have
to tow either.

--
Jere Lull

towing question maxumcruiser General 8 January 24th 06 12:13 AM
Swim Platform Larger than Jones Beach! Bob Crantz ASA 0 December 30th 05 04:23 PM
Trailer That Has a Surge Brake Makes Noise When Start Towing? [email protected] General 13 December 21st 05 08:23 PM
Towing 16' Boat with Audi A4 [email protected] General 4 November 6th 05 01:50 AM
How about this for towing? Joe Blizzard General 23 October 20th 05 03:53 PM