John Glynn

Default Towing larger "dingy"

Okay...so I have a crazy question for y'all. Please be patient with
me...just want some of your experience/wisdom.

I have been using a 12' Portabote for my dingy & thought it's not perfect, I
like it. I just had an idea. I have an older 15.5' family 'speed-boat' of
'70's vintage. It has a 70HP outboard, convertable top etc.

We are considering sailing from the Florida Keys towards Mexico and then
cruising south to Guattemalla. Had the idea of (in addition to the
Portabote) towing the 15.5' boat along. I thought that it would be great to
load my wife and kids into a larger faster boat to be able to explore
further afield from our chosen anchorage. No, I am not one of the folks
that roars through anchorages rocking everyone's home...done my share of
screaming at those (given up on that now). Just thinking it would be sure
handy.

It will significantly slow us down our 41' Gulfstar , I know. I thought I
would put the convertible top on it to prevent the collection of rainwater
and install a couple large bilge-pumps and solar-panel to keep batter topped
up.

Please forward your honest comments and experiences...no flames please.

Thanks! :-)

Glenn.
s/v Seawing
www.seawing.net

Don W

Glenn,

First, I'm assuming you are serious, and not just trolling.

These comments come from having owned a 16' open bow with an outboard
like you are describing (now own a 21' I/O), and also having sailed
offshore in moderate (12-18Kt winds, 2'-5' waves) and moderate+ (18-
28 kt winds, 6'-12' waves) conditions.

I don't think that the drag from the boat will be the problem. We
tow our 21' I/O with our 27' sailboat during the summer and it doesn't
slow us down that much. At 4-6 Kts sailing speed, the drag from the
tow isn't that much.

A bigger problem is that you are likely to be shipping water over the
bow of the towed boat in anything except benign conditions resulting
in a swamped power boat and dramatically increased drag ;-)

We had our 16' on San Luis reservoir one time in windy conditions. The
waves were probably 2'-3' on the nose. After the first time the bow
went down into a trough and the next wave came (partially) into the boat
we said "enough of this" and headed in. Those waves were small compared
to what we've seen off shore. The tow rope would likely make it even
worse by holding the bow down as the power boat tried to come up the
face of a wave.

OTOH, if you had a good bilge pump, battery, solar charger etc., _and_
a custom fit heavy duty cover that was mostly waterproof and real well
attached (with snaps) to the boat you might could do it. I wonder if
you'd have to pay double (for two boats) at check-in time? Sure would
be nice to have the powerboat down there with you to get around in.

My opinions,

Don W.

John Glynn wrote:
[...]

Wayne.B

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 21:26:30 GMT, "John Glynn"
wrote:

It will significantly slow us down our 41' Gulfstar , I know. I thought I
would put the convertible top on it to prevent the collection of rainwater
and install a couple large bilge-pumps and solar-panel to keep batter topped
up.

Please forward your honest comments and experiences...no flames please.

I think your biggest risk is getting caught in large seas,
particularly large following seas. The thought of having a 15 1/2 ft
runabout launched off the top of a wave into the cockpit or into the
stern is not a pretty picture. There is also a big risk of having the
runabout capsize in heavy seas. I had a small rowing dinghy capsize
while I was towing it many years ago, and the seas were no more than 3
to 4 feet. THe dinghy started surfing down a wave, buried its nose a
bit, broached, and over it went. It was a lot of work recovering it,
and I'd guess impossible with a larger boat.

Short distances on protected water should be fine if you are careful.
I saw a 50 or 60 something motor yacht towing a 24 ft Grady-White up
Pine Island Sound last winter. It looked like it would make for a
rather nice dinghy.

Marc Auslander

Have you considered the consequences of being overtaken by bad weather
- a squall or an actual storm - while towing a boat large and heavy
enough to damage your boat in a collision?

Remember - you are talking about going off shore - not just day to day
coastal cruising.

I would hesitate to tow any dinghy at all when at sea.

Jonathan Ganz

In article aYwBf.441166$ki.372111@pd7tw2no,
John Glynn wrote:
[...]

Towing anything for any significant amount of time is not
recommended.
--
Capt. JG @@
www.sailnow.com

Ed

The Seas in that area can be nasty. I know a captain of a large sport
fish who took a wave while cruising from KW to the yucatan. Sunk the
boat in 30 seconds after it broke through the house. I suggest a
large inflatable that can be deinflated and put in the bow for the long
runs and towed for the short hauls.

John Glynn wrote:

[...]

Glenn A. Heslop

Ed,

Sound scarry. We usually use a 12' Portabote folding dingy...though we
usually stow it onboard when at sea, without folding it. We just have this
boat hanging around home and have begun thinking it sure would be nice to
have a larger and faster boat around for exploring. It could just be a real
big pain I guess. I have been pretty concerned about how safe it could be
to tow at sea...though another sailor I know in the Keys suggested it would
work.

Glenn.
s/v Seawing
www.seawing.net

news

John Glynn wrote:

[...]

R.W. Behan

Glenn, under NO circumstances would I tow a dinghy at sea. Even in a
moderate chop astern, it will surf into the back of your boat. I know from
experience. We were sailing south in the Strait of Georgia toward Vancouver
in our Westsail 32, with a 12' Duroboat trailing astern. No matter how we
tied it--long painter, short painter, dead astern, to port, to starboard, it
surfed, and the seas were no more than about 4'. Finally, on a bigger
wave, it smashed into the Monitor windvane with enough force to dislodge the
blade, which then flailed around, bashing the stern of the sailboat. No,
you will be forever sorry if you try this. If you don't have room for a
hard dink in chocks aboard your boat, go with an inflatable.

R.W. Behan wrote:
Glenn, under NO circumstances would I tow a dinghy at sea. Even in a
moderate chop astern, it will surf into the back of your boat. I know from
experience. We were sailing south in the Strait of Georgia toward Vancouver
in our Westsail 32, with a 12' Duroboat trailing astern. No matter how we
tied it--long painter, short painter, dead astern, to port, to starboard, it
surfed, and the seas were no more than about 4'. Finally, on a bigger
wave, it smashed into the Monitor windvane with enough force to dislodge the
blade, which then flailed around, bashing the stern of the sailboat. No,
you will be forever sorry if you try this. If you don't have room for a
hard dink in chocks aboard your boat, go with an inflatable.

Definitely.. happened to us in the BVI... one of the most benign
places to sail.

--
Capt. JG @@
www.sailnow.com

towing question maxumcruiser General 8 January 24th 06 12:13 AM
Swim Platform Larger than Jones Beach! Bob Crantz ASA 0 December 30th 05 04:23 PM
Trailer That Has a Surge Brake Makes Noise When Start Towing? [email protected] General 13 December 21st 05 08:23 PM
Towing 16' Boat with Audi A4 [email protected] General 4 November 6th 05 01:50 AM
How about this for towing? Joe Blizzard General 23 October 20th 05 03:53 PM